Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Panic has subsided, but we should start to panic about how we have not had a Star Wars hot toys preorder in almost 2 months. Where is my Death Star trooper?

I get what you're saying and when it comes to Star Wars, SS paint apps have been middling at best on human figures. Although if it wasn't for the stupid decision to make the hair a separate piece leaving a terrible join gap and seam I'd argue the Rex Phase II was as good as anything Hot Toys does. And SS totally nailed Hot Toys signature dead eyed thousand mile stare with Dengar :lol

But outside Star Wars I personally think Temple of Doom Indiana Jones and Ash Williams hold their own with HT quite well. I don't buy many figs outside of Star Wars so can't comment more widely.

TOD Indy is decent - it's an undersized head and yeah that seam :slap but decent (like 8 or 9/10 of the way toward HT.) Same with Rex - weird galring issue undoes what could have been 9/10 of the way to HT quality.

Dengar to me was one of those standard SSC steps down. Final prod head is fine, but it's always a quite noticeable step down from the proto. The eyes remind me of the Luke X prod head eyes - fine but unconvincing and in a different league to even a DID military fig's eyes, let alone HT.

The unhelmeted head on the Snowspeeder fig really was such a waste. Just lazy, and a decent enough sculpt too. It's the reason I took the time to redo the hair and face a bit for my Dagobah landing Luke - still not peefect, but good enough for me to feel okay displaying it. Otherwise it would stay in the box with the extra hands and considering a good 1/6 is worth $50+, it's insulting especially given the $270 pricepoint.

There is a fat suit but I think removing it would make the top baggy, I really think it looks great with it on.
5962ec30a4f346b5f8df33bb07161f63.jpg
566a39a93a4769626cca8f8f349d18c6.jpg
d2db5bc1c2712126ed297c2e965d3271.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

he looks pretty damn fit and good in these pics.. i will go with generic black no vest for mine

Face looks much better in the new pics, body might look a tad thick but nothing to really fuss over less your a perfectionist.

I wonder if the removable hair was intentional because they decided to have the HS fit the Endor helmet in the future or a mistake because they thought it should be like ANH for the hell of it

Anyone else wondering :dunno

I guess we’ll find out when the Endor version drops.

I feel like I might need to pick up the SS Jedi Luke to try different parts, but it’s quite the gamble. Possible some of those parts don’t fit at all. The tailoring on the prototype looks really good and both pilot Luke figures give me confidence in the stitching, etc. — but looking at the actual SS Jedi figure, some of the poses look pretty awkward from the waste down, so it’s really unclear if that’ll work. Curious to see folks try their Yunsil outfits out with this figure too. I wasn’t that big a fan of the DSII top on that and the belt is a bit iffy, but everything else looks top notch.

There is a fat suit but I think removing it would make the top baggy, I really think it looks great with it on.
5962ec30a4f346b5f8df33bb07161f63.jpg
566a39a93a4769626cca8f8f349d18c6.jpg
d2db5bc1c2712126ed297c2e965d3271.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pics KR! I think, as with most of these figures, posing/futzing/lighting is going to bring out the best in Luke. I’m planning the DS2, open lapel (?) look for him with the eventual Palps and Guards on the opposing “Empire” shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is one of those head sculpts that requires an action pose. It looks odd if hes just standing neutral but in an action pose it looks like hes about to attack. The expression looks as if he is very focused on a target and reacting.

Dean’s true light review

https://youtu.be/TIWk37F70iw

Dean is the man! :bow:bow

Yeah, great to see in hi-def too. Wish he would have taken off the vest/sash so we could see the DS outfit though.

The cape does look a bit purple, though I guess it's just a warm-red aspect to the brown color that's making the purplish hue. Seems to be the same "chamois" type fabric that HT Ben had.

Cool !!! Feeling better about this figure now. I'll definitely be displaying him with vest and/or cloak. Looks great !

P.S I don't know what planet that was filmed on but I swear I saw a giant killer tortoise/turtle in the background !!! Luke better watch out !!

Yeah, the video went on so long I thought we were going to see Luke posed riding garden gnomes and posed on walls "interacting" with birds.:lol

Looks great dunno about the purple in cloak tho, was it really that tinted in the movie? But movie lighting often messes with colors.

Like Ks coat in 2049 hard as hell to tell its really a dark green vs black.

Yeah, the costume cloak is brown but looks brownish-grey (mostly grey) onscreen. Really not sure about that purple (and he did say that's not a camera distortion - it does look purplish in-hand.)

If it looks too obvious, I'm probably going to get my Sideshow cloak out for him, or maybe dye the HT cloak brown - though that's tricky in two ways: that type of "Chamois" fabric may not take dye very well, and you also run the risk of absorbed dye staining the sides of the headsculpt where the hood touches it.

That lighting makes the sculpt look really soft and waxy. Also his eyes are dead looking in those close us. Not very flattering imo, i also couldn't help but notice he never showed it without the vest.

Back