Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4EF74B35-8777-4F36-9E7E-5DE4E978AAED.jpeg

Luke looks..tiny

Gonna display him fighting with BoBa ROTJ in his flying jet mode

I agree that he looks baggy in the shirt, and I think I know why. We can all blame the light up feature.
Kylo and Vader had zippers on their sleeves to help with removing the arm for the light up arm to go in. The zippers were somewhat hidden in the texture of their outfits.

If I had to guess, I would say they opted not to have a zipper on this sleeve because it would stand out too much. But the only unfortunate solution was to make the wrist openings large enough to fit the entire elbow through. Which meant the whole sleeve had to match that size. :slap It also couldn't just be done to the right side and not the left, so now we have a larger look around the sleeves. It's too bad they can't just use the cylindrical batteries in the handle of the lightsaber, like the pair of unlicensed sabers last year. The HT proto pics did look like it had a little tighter tailoring in the sleeves, but that was probably before they realized how they were going to make the light feature work. Just speculation on my part. Hopefully someone comes up with a nice solution to tighten up the look of the shirt.

I'm disappointed in this one.

-Stand looks cheap
-Fat saber neck
-Strange expression on face
-Suit makes him look chubby/puffy
-Boots have those awkward kinks
-Hair looks awful
-Lack of gloved hand options

For years I was looking forward for Hot Toys to make this figure and honestly, they failed IMO.

Luke is 5’8”. Vader is 6’7”. He is supposed to be tiny. Only as tall as the bottom of Vader’s chin.
579e5c9021fbc7bb859ce497e9563805.jpg

Why does everyone think that short characters should be taller?

Put me in the camp of also thinking the tailoring looks better on the SS version. I also like the general shape of the head/hair better but obviously HT will have the better paint and detail on their sculpt. I’ll still get the HT version but my anticipation is a bit lukewarm right now.

Get it?

LUKEwarm???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Even with some of the flaws I think it still looks stunning. Sideshow's wont beat it the production piece wont be as nice. Very stoked to get this in.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Luke is 5’8”. Vader is 6’7”. He is supposed to be tiny. Only as tall as the bottom of Vader’s chin.
579e5c9021fbc7bb859ce497e9563805.jpg

Why does everyone think that short characters should be taller?

Even with some of the flaws I think it still looks stunning. Sideshow's wont beat it the production piece wont be as nice. Very stoked to get this in.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Agree with both of these.

I'm disappointed in this one.

-Stand looks cheap
-Fat saber neck
-Strange expression on face
-Suit makes him look chubby/puffy
-Boots have those awkward kinks
-Hair looks awful
-Lack of gloved hand options

For years I was looking forward for Hot Toys to make this figure and honestly, they failed IMO.

Going to PO SideShow version instead ?

I am super excited for this. Looks like it's pretty close to the prototype, which I am happy. The puffy torso doesn't seem too bad in a lot of the pics, just a few to me. Can't wait!

Im not cancelling, so far my biggest issues are tge tailoring, sleeves seem a bit long, causing them to look baggy and bunch up, hope the torso can be pulled down a bit to make tge shoulders look better. I dunno, wait and see what some of the more known people can do with futzing, he is a bit large in the torso though.

Oh and lack of black gloves was one of my initial sticking points, and to you *******s who told me to "not worry" and "no biggy, they probably include them on release"... Hah

Hot Toys Employee: “Vader’s gloves weren’t very well received, and now the newer versions’ gloves are pretty high on the secondary market.”
Hot Toys Executive: “Let’s throw in only one gloved hand with Luke and watch ‘em squirm... Mwahaha.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it looks good and can't wait to display him. Of course I have the same concerns as other folks here. Due to his fat suit (damn you HT), I'll be displaying him with the vest on. And a couple more gloved hands would have been nice!

Between the awkward cuffs and the 'loose' nature of what needs to be a form-fitting uniform, this Jedi Luke looks a bit sloppy compared to the usual HT tailoring. What happened?

Yeah, they chose the wrong material. It looks like Hot Toys have used more like a pullover polartec material.

Hot Toys just cannot get the young Hamill likeness at all. It's much better than their 'a new hope' effort but that's not saying much.

as I suspected, the hair is removable!

c3bf9618-6d26-4239-ad0f-34b54911c1b1.JPG

This was truly meant to be a DX, just as The Green Goblin was saying some posts before.

This probably means that this headsculpt can wear the Endor moon helmet, or the hairpiece that is included in that set too. Good news. The sculpt looks better without the hairpiece IMO.

If Endor moon Luke comes with an action style hair piece, that will be great.

Overall it is not a bad release, the biggest miss being the floppiness of the black jumpsuit.

IMG_8596.JPG

Back