1/6 Hot Toys MMS291 Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope 1/6th scale Spacetrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember my GF found the invoice for the Probe Droid and got a bit of shock. :)

Recently I've started to tease her by comparing everything we buy to HT Stormtrooper prices. :)

For example she bought alot of skin care products yesterday, and my first comment was: "you could have bought half a Stormtrooper for that price". :)

you do know this is going to end badly for you if you keep that up :lecture

That's one problem with collecting this expensive stuff. It makes it impossible to tell the wife she's spending too much on beauty products.

I sometimes bring up the ridiculous cable bill to put things in perspective. That's a figure a month. Can't get her to cut the cord. It's being able to physically see what the money was spent on in the figures and boxes that gets to them.

I sometimes bring up the ridiculous cable bill to put things in perspective. That's a figure a month. Can't get her to cut the cord. It's being able to physically see what the money was spent on in the figures and boxes that gets to them.

I would say its more they don't value the figures the same so they believe the cost is frivolous/waste. Just the same as I believe designer purses are a waste of money.

Could prada purses be collectible and not nearly as costly due to aftermarket prices (like most figures) I don't know, maybe, but I still think they are asinine to spend money on unless someone shows me different.

Though you are right seeing the items just reminds them more often how you are wasting money that could be spend on purses (or what ever they believe has more value).

I would say its more they don't value the figures the same so they believe the cost is frivolous/waste. Just the same as I believe designer purses are a waste of money.

Could prada purses be collectible and not nearly as costly due to aftermarket prices (like most figures) I don't know, maybe, but I still think they are asinine to spend money on unless someone shows me different.

Though you are right seeing the items just reminds them more often how you are wasting money that could be spend on purses (or what ever they believe has more value).

Whithout having any experiance on that matter I would anyway say no. I would say it is like buying a brand new car, you will loose much of your money spent. The girls want`s what is new, regardless...now don`t jump on me for that statement ladies (if you see this).
On the figures/statues yo WILL get your money back at least on the aftermarket. So that is a win.

Whithout having any experiance on that matter I would anyway say no. I would say it is like buying a brand new car, you will loose much of your money spent. The girls want`s what is new, regardless...now don`t jump on me for that statement ladies (if you see this).
On the figures/statues yo WILL get your money back at least on the aftermarket. So that is a win.

Depends on the brand and the item. There are some bags (Hermes comes to mind) that are LEs and either hold or increase in price for collectors.

Some of these luxe brands deliberately build exclusivity and rarity into their product lines to increase cachet. Hermes in particular make Hot Toys and SSC look like amateurs.

Nothing is hidden in our house as it gets displayed everywhere. Never the less, I always get a big "roll of the eyes" response when a new box arrives. But I cycle through stuff so often though, she does know if it's coming or going usually.

My wife worked for Chanel for years.. you would not believe what a vintage or discontinued purse goes for now... it is insane. My wife picked up a few of them at employee sales which they had a few times a year and ended up selling a few of them to friends for ridiculous amounts of money. There are boutiques here in Los Angeles that bank entirely on second hand purses from designer labels. They make the after market mark up on our figures look like child's play. One Chanel purse that her co-worker got for $500 (retails at $1000) sold for $10,000.

Funny how this thread has become the "how I hide my toys from my wife" thread. Didn't realize we actually need a dedicated thread for this art form.

I don't hide them, we just fight about it a lot. I have to say this year has not helped one bit... there are just too many cool releases coming out that look better than ever.

She can appreciate them from time to time. She really thought the ACI Aragorn was awesome but she doesn't get Storm Troopers at all. To make matters worse, I came home from SDCC not only with the HT two pack but also an EFX prop replica Storm Trooper helmet. Wait until this guy shows up... "WTF is that? The same figure with a backpack and a big gun?". She won't get it all.

My wife worked for Chanel for years.. you would not believe what a vintage or discontinued purse goes for now... it is insane. My wife picked up a few of them at employee sales which they had a few times a year and ended up selling a few of them to friends for ridiculous amounts of money. There are boutiques here in Los Angeles that bank entirely on second hand purses from designer labels. They make the after market mark up on our figures look like child's play. One Chanel purse that her co-worker got for $500 (retails at $1000) sold for $10,000.

Its this type of cash I am expecting to make from my 1999 "The Phantom Menace" action figures when "The Force Awakens" is released. I mean that’s why we bought two and kept one MOC right??? I’m so ashamed
_____________________________________________________________:slap

I'm so happy my wife's not into purses. :yess:

Haha, you guys seem to get away with it so easily. I would notice a new figure straight away being added to the display case and I would definitely Google Hot Toys and see how much is being spent on these things lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haha, you guys seem to get away with it so easily. I would notice a new figure straight away being added to the display case and I would definitely Google Hot Toys and see how much is being spent on these things lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad my wife doesn't do that, otherwise I'll be dead.

Back