1/6 Hot Toys MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: MMS200 - Man of Steel: Superman Collectible Figure

I finally got around to looking at the 1/6 and 1/1 scale command keys included with this figure and was surprised to see this:

View attachment 96253

I contacted Hot Toys and they promptly told me that there is nothing they can do and that I should email BBTS instead. Of course BBTS cannot replace certain parts and they will ask me to return the entire order. I was hoping Hot Toys would allow me to send this key back and exchange it for a new one.

It's only $15 to buy a new one.
Just ask BBTS for a $15 rebate.

Took a few new pictures of supes and pop tonight:

a3u5ezym.jpg
ybabe9u4.jpg
ru7aba6e.jpg
a8agesah.jpg

Bri

There are no 6" men, lol.
But what about a character based on a 5'6" man? If the HT version was also 12", it would point to the 12" scale.

:slap D'oh!...I typed that too fast. Not many of the male characters HT takes on are that short...although, (comic) Wolverine's height is supposed almost a foot shorter than his Hugh Jackman movie counterpart. In that case, I am ok with HT basing it more on the actor than the character, as the height difference of your figure compared to the perceived height of what is seen in the movies would be jarring.

He's just a shade under 13"
In that case, the Reeve figure is too short (at 12") AND the Cavill figure is too tall...They're not just out of scale with each other, they're both out of scale with 1/6.

I agree. For the most part ht figures were scaled to a 12" figure for everyone. As of late, I'd say the last few years, they have tried to take into consideration the height of the actor or character.

The old Jack sparrow figure is a good example. Johnny Depp is 5'9" but the first release was scaled to 12". The DX sparrow was closer to the actors actual height. Using smaller bodies for smaller characters has been their MO.

Captain America TFA came with alternate foot pegs to make him taller since they had not designed a body with long enough legs to make him the actors proper height of 6'1". After putting the taller pegs on he is scaled to the right height for his movie alter ego.

But lately they, and I mean HT, has been scaling figures a bit screwy. ASM was scales way too short. They used a new configuration of the slim tryetype but should have given him longer legs like the ones they used for Red Skull. He would have been the proper height for his movie version instead of the shorter Toby McGuire height that his figure should have had.

I modify most of my figs so it's not a big deal for me if it's a bit out of scale. And when it's a figure like superman it often times gets overlooked because the character himself is supposed to be taller than the actor portraying him.

Andrew Garfield (5'10") is only an inch taller than Tobey Maguire (5'9"), (but his slim frame versus Maguire's more stocky one makes him appear much taller)...and both of them are so very close to the height of the comic character (5'10") that any difference in the heights of their figures should be negligible.

I think MMS figures are supposed to defer to the perceived features character on film rather than the actor that portrays him whenever possible. After all, in reality Arnold Schwarzenegger or Aaron Eckhart were never missing entire sections of their faces...but their characters were.

I finally got around to looking at the 1/6 and 1/1 scale command keys included with this figure and was surprised to see this:

View attachment 96253

I contacted Hot Toys and they promptly told me that there is nothing they can do and that I should email BBTS instead. Of course BBTS cannot replace certain parts and they will ask me to return the entire order. I was hoping Hot Toys would allow me to send this key back and exchange it for a new one.

That sucks man. I'm most surprised that you actually got a response from HT. What method did you use to contact them?

Would anyone who has replaced the Cape, want to sell me their stock cape, as long as there are no snags and it isn't damaged? Got a snag in mine and it is bothering the hell out of me! LOL

:slap D'oh!...I typed that too fast. Not many of the male characters HT takes on are that short...although, (comic) Wolverine's height is supposed almost a foot shorter than his Hugh Jackman movie counterpart. In that case, I am ok with HT basing it more on the actor than the character, as the height difference of your figure compared to the perceived height of what is seen in the movies would be jarring.

In that case, the Reeve figure is too short (at 12") AND the Cavill figure is too tall...They're not just out of scale with each other, they're both out of scale with 1/6.

Andrew Garfield (5'10") is only an inch taller than Tobey Maguire (5'9"), (but his slim frame versus Maguire's more stocky one makes him appear much taller)...and both of them are so very close to the height of the comic character (5'10") that any difference in the heights of their figures should be negligible.

I think MMS figures are supposed to defer to the perceived features character on film rather than the actor that portrays him whenever possible. After all, in reality Arnold Schwarzenegger or Aaron Eckhart were never missing entire sections of their faces...but their characters were.

That sucks man. I'm most surprised that you actually got a response from HT. What method did you use to contact them?

Actually Toby is 5'8" and Garfirld is 5'10.5" closer to 5'11". It makes a difference to me and it's not negligible because I like to have my figures height accurate, for the most part. The only figure I'm ok with being out of scale, taller, is this one because supes is supposed to be tall anyway.

Reeve figure is not 12". He is actually 12.66" exactly 6'4" in 1/6 scale.

American actor best known for films such as Spider-man, Pleasantville and Seabiscuit. On the Today show he talked with Matt Lauer and Jill Rappaport about the aforementioned Seabiscuit, saying: "You know, Red was tall for a jockey. He was five seven, I'm five eight, so we're pretty close."

Quoted from celebheights.com

View attachment 96253

I never even took mine out the box and I probably never will.

I never even took mine out the box and I probably never will.

I love the "key" detail on all sides . That looks exactly like earth keys nowadays. And considering that the Command Key and Baby Kal El were launched 20,000 years before we invented keys, it's quite the coincidence! :rotfl

I love the "key" detail on all sides . That looks exactly like earth keys nowadays. And considering that the Command Key and Baby Kal El were launched 20,000 years before we invented keys, it's quite the coincidence! :rotfl

I thought Kal went through a worm hole. Kara was launched 20,000 years ago. Not sure about the continuity there or the cannon.

I thought Kal went through a worm hole. Kara was launched 20,000 years ago. Not sure about the continuity there or the cannon.

It took him 20,000 years to get here.
It's in the movie novelisation. There are loads of cool details that were likely in the script but they had to cut.

It's in the movie novelisation. There are loads of cool details that were likely in the script but they had to cut.

That's a novel based on the film though, the movie doesn't actually state that it took him that long, which admittedly would be ridiculous if it did. That would mean that somehow Superman never aged in that 20,000 year period, and wouldn't that make Zod 20,000 years old too? :dunno

American actor best known for films such as Spider-man, Pleasantville and Seabiscuit. On the Today show he talked with Matt Lauer and Jill Rappaport about the aforementioned Seabiscuit, saying: "You know, Red was tall for a jockey. He was five seven, I'm five eight, so we're pretty close."

Quoted from celebheights.com
I can't argue with that. I've got to defer to the man himself, he's got to know his own height. I don't know where you got that Garfield is "closer to 5'11" from besides just rounding it up. Most sources have him at 5'10.5" But when we're talking about half-an-inch, we're really splitting hairs at that point...especially since the average person's height varies by more than half an inch in the course of one day. Still, it's moot because the "real-life" heights of the actors was never my point. I believe that both Maguire and Garfield, despite being separated by about 2 inches of height in real life are both intended to believably represent a 5'10" character on film. And the Hot Toys figures are intended to represent the characters as they are in the films. Sometimes they fail. Complete with the likenesses of the actors who portray them, sure. But Hot Toys isn't making an "Andrew Garfield" action figure....it's making a "Amazing Spiderman" action figure, as portrayed by Andrew Garfield.

Actually Toby is 5'8" and Garfirld is 5'10.5" closer to 5'11". It makes a difference to me and it's not negligible because I like to have my figures height accurate, for the most part. The only figure I'm ok with being out of scale, taller, is this one because supes is supposed to be tall anyway.
It's great that a 2-3 inch height difference converted down to 1/6 is not negligible to you because you want height accuracy. But height accurate to what? The height of the actor in normal life out of the costume, or the height of the character as he appears as when he portrays the role in costume? (including whatever heel lifts he uses and all) It's great if you want them to accurately represent how tall the actor is in real life, I want my figures to represent how tall the character appears in film / is supposed to look. Do you have a DX09 Keaton Batman? Would you prefer they scaled that figure to be 1/6 of 5'9.5"? And if you collect any Iron Man, do you want a 5'9"-based 1/6 scale Tony Stark? That would be "accurate" also....to RDJ.

Reeve figure is not 12". He is actually 12.66" exactly 6'4" in 1/6 scale.
I must've gotten one of the short ones then. Legs together, (so at his maximum possible height) my figure is definitely taller than 12.00" flat, but counting all the way to the highest possible point on his hair...STILL shorter than 12.5"

Yes the MOS figure is representative of a character that is supposed to be tall anyway. But to scale he is 1/6 the height of a man who is more than 6'6"...a full two inches taller than the character is supposed to be. Two inches (even shrunk down to 1/6 scale) is not a negligible amount of inaccuracy according to you, right?

That's just the book then.
In the film Zod clearly states that he and his goons wandered around for thirty three years which is also Kal El's age.
Kal's trip to earth as a baby was fast, he was born and came to earth thirty three years ago.
The scout ship under the ice came 18000 years ago but it has nothing to do with Kal.

I see, so it seems HT made the figure as an ideal height of the character rather than the actual actor. In other words, if a Tom Cruise Jack Reacher figure was made, he would stand about 6 feet 7 inches, matching Man of Steel in 1/6 height. Not sure, I would agree but at least this figure is still well made aside from the over size.
A

In the film Zod clearly states that he and his goons wandered around for thirty three years which is also Kal El's age.
Kal's trip to earth as a baby was fast, he was born and came to earth thirty three years ago.
The scout ship under the ice came 18000 years ago but it has nothing to do with Kal.

Correct. :goodpost:

The context is that Lara is using remote control of the ancient scoutships sensors to determine a world that will be suitable for the baby to be sent to.
She chooses earth because it's primitive life forms are hardy, look a lot like kryptonians and, although the earth is in the middle of an ice age, in the 20,000 years it will take Kal to get there, the planet will be a lot warmer and perhaps the people will have matured as a race.
The scoutship had an experimental drive system, which mean that the baby went "out of the universe" into the phantom zone for the length of the journey, but the time it would have taken to journey to earth was experienced by the universe while the baby was on his way.
The difference between his journey and the journey of the crims on the Black Zero was that there were more than a few evil genii aboard, and knowing that the phantom drive *could* be used to traverse space, in converting the Black Zero to travel this way, they converted it into an instant crossing.
Of course, they still had to bunny-hop from system to system for thirty years, before getting the warning from the scoutship that sent them right to earth.

View attachment 96253

There are a few keys listed on eBay. However, the 1:1 range between $30 and $50.

I can't argue with that. I've got to defer to the man himself, he's got to know his own height. I don't know where you got that Garfield is "closer to 5'11" from besides just rounding it up. Most sources have him at 5'10.5" But when we're talking about half-an-inch, we're really splitting hairs at that point...especially since the average person's height varies by more than half an inch in the course of one day. Still, it's moot because the "real-life" heights of the actors was never my point. I believe that both Maguire and Garfield, despite being separated by about 2 inches of height in real life are both intended to believably represent a 5'10" character on film. And the Hot Toys figures are intended to represent the characters as they are in the films. Sometimes they fail. Complete with the likenesses of the actors who portray them, sure. But Hot Toys isn't making an "Andrew Garfield" action figure....it's making a "Amazing Spiderman" action figure, as portrayed by Andrew Garfield.

It's great that a 2-3 inch height difference converted down to 1/6 is not negligible to you because you want height accuracy. But height accurate to what? The height of the actor in normal life out of the costume, or the height of the character as he appears as when he portrays the role in costume? (including whatever heel lifts he uses and all) It's great if you want them to accurately represent how tall the actor is in real life, I want my figures to represent how tall the character appears in film / is supposed to look. Do you have a DX09 Keaton Batman? Would you prefer they scaled that figure to be 1/6 of 5'9.5"? And if you collect any Iron Man, do you want a 5'9"-based 1/6 scale Tony Stark? That would be "accurate" also....to RDJ.

I must've gotten one of the short ones then. Legs together, (so at his maximum possible height) my figure is definitely taller than 12.00" flat, but counting all the way to the highest possible point on his hair...STILL shorter than 12.5"

Yes the MOS figure is representative of a character that is supposed to be tall anyway. But to scale he is 1/6 the height of a man who is more than 6'6"...a full two inches taller than the character is supposed to be. Two inches (even shrunk down to 1/6 scale) is not a negligible amount of inaccuracy according to you, right?

Celebheights.com is where I got Garfield's height. If you just google anyone's height they, most times come up inaccurate. Google has McGuire at 5'9" when he is actually 5'7.75" according to the afore mentioned site. If you google garfield it has him at 5'10" I agree. So it's really a matter of your own personal preference, what research you want to pay attention to, and who you choose to believe since we can't all follow around our favorite actors with a tape measure.

"Uh. Excuse me? Mr. Cavill? Can I measure you?" Probably not a good idea since it might get you arrested.

I choose to get my info from celebheights cause it seems right to me. I do some research but ultimately defer to their numbers.

I don't have Keaton bats cause I depose those movies so I don't really care how tall he is. Only have a few iron man figures and they seem ok since Downey is 5'8" and I always expected the MK5 to be about his height I'm fine with it. I also have the MK2 unleashed which I think is a bit taller but you can't really change those figures without serious modification.

I'll do an ankle peg swap or body swap or something to that nature that can easily be hidden by clothing or boots but the IM figures I'm stuck with. Downey jr is easily accommodated because tony stark could obviously afford tall shoes to make him seem taller. That's not a stretch for my imagination. So the actor and the character can still be the same heights with fancy footwear.

I just don't understand the mechanics behind taking a 5'8" man and making him 6'5" in the suit. In what universe is that possible? Wouldn't the bottom of the boots have to be 9 inches tall? I guess that's possible since they have to accommodate the thrusters but still 9 inches?

Oh. And I did put shorter ankle pegs on my MOS supes so he wasn't so tall.

Back