Hot Toys - MMS - Star Wars Episode VII: Rey 1/6th Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole midichlorians only bothered me from one standpoint:
Star Wars is written as a fantasy, not a science fiction story...
Introducing midichlorians to explain the physical manifestation of the force is is more sci fi than fantasy and not only unnecessarily explains something the audience already accepts, but makes it now prone to having holes poked into it....

Not to mention it was put into the script, I'm sure, to show that Anakin is irrefutably, officially, potentially more powerful than even Yoda. But it is unnecessary because all it would take is for Yoda or another master to simply say so, and we'd believe them.

The thing I don't like about midichlorians is that it implies that Jedi are born with force sensitivity. I like the idea that anyone can tap into the force, as long as they have a proper understanding of it.

I've always liked to think that midi-chlorians are bacteria that are attracted to Force-sensitive individuals and serve as a marker for The Force, rather than actually being responsible for The Force. I know that's not how they're presented in the prequels, but I think it's a good way of reconciling their existence and not just pretending they don't exist.

That stuff never bothered me in the prequels, although I agree it didnt need to be in them. I was more bothered by TFA not having much actual Star Wars stuff than the prequels getting into details about how the force works. TFA has no Jedi, no Sith, no Darth's, no exotic planets (they were all places that look mostly like Earth), no crazy ships we've never seen before... its not really a Star Wars movie. Its more like those 2 new Star Trek movies JJ did (which I liked a lot btw), with the Falcon replacing the Enterprise, and some other SW stuff sprinkled in here and there, but it felt nothing like SW to me. I love TFA, but for me personally, its hardly a SW movie, and im ok with that.

George didnt make this movie. Had nothing to do with it, so naturally its not going to FEEL like Georges work. This is like trying to find a new lead singer for Led Zeppelin or whatever. Sure they could find someone to do a good enough job, but it will never feel exactly like Zep without Robert Plant. I dont believe SW will ever feel like SW again. Not for me anyway. They will always feel more like cover bands. Some are really good, but not the same thing. And TFA is very good, but its not the same thing. Its someone elses interpretation of SW, not actually George Lucas' SW, that he created and is more intimately familiar with than anyone else.

Every time I see TFA, which is like 7 or 8x now, every single second I feel George missing from the project. Even the opening shot with the stormtroopers in the lander. The way its edited, the way it looks, its so finely polished like those 2 star trek movies, so it looks like them to me, and not like SW bc SW never looked like that. I feel JJ's style in every frame, and feel none of George's. I dont know if thats good or bad. Its just unsettling for me. Thats all.

I must have been watching a different movie to you.

I don't know what I enjoy more, prequel bashing or special edition bashing! I'm a purist!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

The thing I don't like about midichlorians is that it implies that Jedi are born with force sensitivity. I like the idea that anyone can tap into the force, as long as they have a proper understanding of it.

That was George's original intention but he eventually came round to The Force being stronger in certain lineages.

I thought the midichlorians were unnecessary but at least the story of Plagueis gave them a purpose. I'm hoping Snoke is Plagueis or it will seem like a wasted opportunity.

The whole midichlorians only bothered me from one standpoint:
Star Wars is written as a fantasy, not a science fiction story...
Introducing midichlorians to explain the physical manifestation of the force is is more sci fi than fantasy and not only unnecessarily explains something the audience already accepts, but makes it now prone to having holes poked into it....

Not to mention it was put into the script, I'm sure, to show that Anakin is irrefutably, officially, potentially more powerful than even Yoda. But it is unnecessary because all it would take is for Yoda or another master to simply say so, and we'd believe them.

:goodpost: Very well put!

I've always liked to think that midi-chlorians are bacteria that are attracted to Force-sensitive individuals and serve as a marker for The Force, rather than actually being responsible for The Force. I know that's not how they're presented in the prequels, but I think it's a good way of reconciling their existence and not just pretending they don't exist.

:lecture That's how I interpreted it as well.

I still hate the idea, but your interpretation made me hate it a little less. I like this and will use this idea from now on. Thanks.

Uhhhhhh.....I think you find this was MY idea. I may have never written about it, or even thought about this until reading the above, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that this was mine all along.

You're welcome...

Uhhhhhh.....I think you find this was MY idea. I may have never written about it, or even thought about this until reading the above, but I'm pretty sure you'll find that this was mine all along.

You're welcome...

Thanks to you too [emoji3]

You're welcome...
You must have telepathically gotten the idea from me. Yeah, that sounds about right...

See I dont like that anyone can do it. It makes the jedi seem much less special. Id prefer it to be people who were born with a sensitivity towards it and can use it in ways impossible for normal/average people.

I think they are born with it though and not everyone can do it no matter how bad they wanted to, and its because the movies made it very clear that some young children have the ability. They dont even like to train them when they are past childhood. So Im fine with how George established it, and thats set in stone because its in the prequels. Its an aspect of the prequels im totally fine with. Midichlorians never bothered me. Bad scripts did, but not some of the details about how the force works. I thought it was pretty cool actually since Im into science and all that.

It also plays into the idea that some individuals were sort of touched by a higher power when they were developing, making them unique for better or worse. This is why I dont think Finn is a force user, never will be, but Rey probably knew her whole life, has had various abilities, but never used them, or at least never made them clear to anyone around her. This explains why she is able to pick things up so quickly in TFA, because she kind of already knew how to do this stuff already. Maz says to her, "its always been there". She was even able to sense something about BB8 that kept her from selling him, and I think that was intuition from the force.

I like to think of it as...wait no I dont. I just ignore it and move on with life. It's a cute idea but I don't like how it so plainly quantifies how strong with the force one is. Feels like it's all numbers, like power levels in DBZ.

Damn there I go thinking about it again.

I just bought a lightsaber hilt for Rey from Monkey Depot, just in case the blade is not detachable. I would imagine it is, but it wasn't shown in the pics.

I just bought a lightsaber hilt for Rey from Monkey Depot, just in case the blade is not detachable. I would imagine it is, but it wasn't shown in the pics.

I did the same thing with my DX07 Bespin Luke.

The unlit hilt that comes with the set is on the belt of the clean figure, but I wanted the BD to be holding in his hand an unlit hilt as well; the one with the blade that comes with the set is not detachable.

I did the same thing with my DX07 Bespin Luke.

The unlit hilt that comes with the set is on the belt of the clean figure, but I wanted the BD to be holding in his hand an unlit hilt as well; the one with the blade that comes with the set is not detachable.

I plan on displaying Rey with the hilt in her outstretched arm, the moment when she calls it to her from the snow is one of my favorites in the movie.

Back