Hot Toys - MMS DX 11 - TDK: The Joker 2.0 Collectible Figure specs and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can only stay caught up for so long with this thread. So are these heads NOT hand painted? I know people had suspicions but is it definite?

Yes, some sort of automated painting is being used. It's visible under high magnification, Nobody who has one in hand has said anything about it. Notice the fine dots on the upper forehead.

8363940604_893c636531_b.jpg

It is funny though, does this means face scanning isn't far off for HT's future?

I expect there was a prototype that was painted and scanned, and these paints are a reproduction of that master paint job. So there was still an artist involved in the process.

It's probably still cheaper to pay a sculptor than to hire RDJr to sit down for a laser scan. In some cases (like Joker and Superman) it wouldn't be posible because the actor is dead. Or perhaps like the Keaton Batman the actor is almost 30 years older.

There's still a place for sculptors.

His left eye looks a bit lazy there. Anybody else see it?

Yeah I see it. But I don't think the PERS is off. One eye is open more than the other. This happens a lot with HT figures. After all, they are hand sculpted. The good news is, if you look at people around you, they do at times seem to have non-uniform eye openness.

Great set of photos. The smirking head continues to be my favourite.

joker.jpg

i gotta say ~ right here: flat photo and all, no glam ~ i am loving this headsculpt.

: D

Which is kinda ironic, since this really brings out the true in hand feel of the sculpt compared to the other more professional photos out there:lol

I love seeing these shots because it is true that they give you a much better idea of how it looks in hand. I learned that when the DX10 pics came out.

I am so looking forward to having this figure.

img3341.jpg

The more I see of this the less I'm worried about the shoulder area and the coat. Looks great in that album from 1/6 republic.

The visual effects companies probably already have the scan. They use it for vfx renders.

They certainly have the HULK

True. That doesn't mean they pass their data around like candy (as a CG artist I wish they would)

In some cases the toy companies do get access to digital scans. It's going to be a case by case thing.

I was reading on Replica Prop Forum one of the guys that used to work for Tyco/Mattel discussing his involvement on the 1:6 RC Tumbler. He said they had 3D data, but they needed to compromise the design to fit stuff inside and for packaging/shipping.

Hot Toys has probably already worked off some digital files for Iron Man, and as you said the Hulk looks like it could be 3d printed and cleaned up.

Is that what the community wants? The artists would be in Hollywood and the guys in HK are just pushing the "print button".

True. That doesn't mean they pass their data around like candy (as a CG artist I wish they would)

In some cases the toy companies do get access to digital scans. It's going to be a case by case thing.

I was reading on Replica Prop Forum one of the guys that used to work for Tyco/Mattel discussing his involvement on the 1:6 RC Tumbler. He said they had 3D data, but they needed to compromise the design to fit stuff inside and for packaging/shipping.

Hot Toys has probably already worked off some digital files for Iron Man, and as you said the Hulk looks like it could be 3d printed and cleaned up.

Is that what the community wants? The artists would be in Hollywood and the guys in HK are just pushing the "print button"

The community wants accurate representations method be damned.

I don't pay for these because "artists hand-made these masterpieces"... I pay for these because they're highly detailed and realistic 1/6 figures. If scanning the whole freakin' figure would result in that with greater accuracy, so be it. It would cost me a lot more money and time to do it myself (and I'd still fail).

Back