Hot Toys - MMS 86 -The Spirit - THE OCTOPUS figure spec & hi-res pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think this was a mistake by Hot Toys to license the Spirit. The movie was a bust and no one really cares for it.

Don't get me wrong, the figures look fantastic...but ultimately seems like a waste of materials.

I think this was a mistake by Hot Toys to license the Spirit. The movie was a bust and no one really cares for it.

Don't get me wrong, the figures look fantastic...but ultimately seems like a waste of materials.

They can't know that a year ago though, I'm sure the licensing was very aggressive - they thought they had a Dark Knight on their hands. I would expect not to see the promised 4th figure though.

They can't know that a year ago though, I'm sure the licensing was very aggressive - they thought they had a Dark Knight on their hands. I would expect not to see the promised 4th figure though.

No offense; I knew this movie was gonna bomb a year ago......

There wasn't really any hype to this movie, not enough to deem a license from Hot Toys. I think this is a case where they should have waited until the release of the film and then decide to make the figures or not. But recently they have been making the figures earlier than that to have them out within reasonable time after the film.....so I can't blame them on that.

Avp wasn't doin so hot in the box office either.

Not trying to get technical, but I am. :(

The Spirit's worldwide gross was $27,981,879.

AVP grossed $172,543,519 worldwide (source:https://www.the-numbers.com/), that is more than both Predator 1 & 2 combined. And just about the same as Aliens and about 30 million less than Alien. Point is that AVP still sold a lot of tickets (even though it was a crappy film, my opinion)....it is because the Alien and Predator films have built such a huge fanbase. Which still exists today.

Last edited:
So it IS possible to make a great Sam Jackson sculpt...

Hasbro, Sideshow: go sit in the corner.

Sideshow did do a great Sam Jackson, just that Lucasfilm people wouldn't let them use it.

8TheSpirit_TheOctopus.jpg

2109_press04-001.jpg

me thinks the hot toys head looks a little bit more accruate

LOL! just a little bit huh?...this should just give you a idea of how much better the Star Wars offerings could be from Hot Toys...even if they could only pump 2-3 figures a year..still better then 5 meh figures from Sideshow which would come to the same price of buying Hot Toys anyway.

I still amazed how Hot Toys pumping such high quality in short period of time compared to Sideshow.

I wasn't refering to the production sculpt but to the initial Andy Bergholtz sculpt before the lucasarts requested changes were made to it. This sculpt while not as good as the hot toys one was a was a good looking sculpt of Samuel L. Jackson. In addition when Mace Windu was released i paid £27.99 from forbidden planet, this Octopus figure is on preoder at forbidden planet for £134.99. I realise it was three years ago now and the economic climate is different but that was a bargain back then. What we pay in England for Hot Toys figures is extortionate at best and daylight robbery at most.

Yea, the first Windu sculpt looked pretty darn good compared to the final one we got, Mace is still a decent figure compared to some of the other Jedi...its the paint applications that hurt sideshow sculpts usually but, Hot Toys is still light years ahead of them in just about every way, just i think both companys need better QC (more so for SSC), Hot Toys needs to start developing ways to make figures that are going to stand the test of time..i might stop getting anything they make with rubber, down to the road when i start seeing my Rambo 3 figure or Dog Alien,RoboCop and Batman figures cracking up..i don't know what i will do..cry probally lol.

I'm anxious for these to come out already. I want that SLJ head for a few customs, one of which will definitely be Mace Windu.

I'm in the process of repainting Mace Windu.

I think what happened was, Lucasfilm wanted the sculpt to exude more anger. Perhaps they saw that Sideshow was including a stump hand and they thought the expression of the initial sculpt looked too complacent.:confused: Truth is, you would need an entirely different sculpt to express the feelings of getting your hand cut off! ;)

But I believe Lucasfilm did not want to reduce Sam's likeness. They just wanted the expression to be modified, so they had Andy go back and revise it.

VF, that is a sculpted neck. But good luck shaving his gotee. :) This would make an excellent Lakeview Terrance sculpt though!!

Does anybody have any links to Andy's original sculpt? I know he's a wonderful sculptor so I'm curious to see what his first Mace looked like. Thanks.

Back