1/6 Hot Toys -MMS 517- Episode VI ROTJ Luke Skywalker Collectible Figure (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a great set, but the sideways eye sculpt stinks. The sculpt only works with certain poses and really takes away imo. I am trying to pose him in the Jabba?s palace vest, but nothing works. For now he is with bespin Leia due to space issues, and he is giving her the ?I can?t believe I made out with you? sideways glare.

Got off the fence today, too much about this figure is great not to have it ...

Hopefully arriving next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luke on Endor...

HT-ROTJ-LUKE v2-012.jpg

Really have zero understanding of the hate on the side eye sculpt. Looks great.

Not so sure it’s more hate as it is just a preference. It’s the same sculpt as MMS429 so it’s not like the likeness on one is better than the other to make one the “better sculpt” per se. One has the eyes looking forward, the other to the side.

Not so sure it?s more hate as it is just a preference. It?s the same sculpt as MMS429 so it?s not like the likeness on one is better than the other to make one the ?better sculpt? per se. One has the eyes looking forward, the other to the side.

I assume he was reacting to frog who said it stinks. In general people seem to disfavor the side-glancing sculpts. Not sure why, gives some variety and life to the character. StarLord v2 is a good example of that.

Ah okay. That I didn’t see, as admittedly I didn’t read any further back than the latest page so I didn’t read every comment to see what people have said.

When it comes to side glancing sculpts, for me it’s more because it limits the posing options and sort of forces you into having to do a pose that fits that glance. There’s very few figures I have where I know I‘m never going to take it out of a pose in which the eyes would be looking to the side.

Though I do agree the side glance can give a sculpt more life, as it can look more lifelike and eliminate that blank stare that many forward glancing sculpts tend to suffer from.

I think the ratio they do it is about right, where it's often reserved for variants of a figure like Jyn or Luke disguise. Would get old quick if it was the reverse.

The sculpt itself if fine. Using it in poses stinks. It looks off most of the time. Having luke with lightsaber up ready to battle and his eyes are checking out the snack bar looks dumb. The sculpt is good, it?s just the eye position for most poses isn?t.

I think the ratio they do it is about right, where it's often reserved for variants of a figure like Jyn or Luke disguise. Would get old quick if it was the reverse.

Yeah, agreed. The only three figures I can think of off the top of my head that are looking to the side are Jyn, TFA Luke, and BvS Batman.

I think a sculpt re-use with a different glance is fine for something when you'd expect the collector would probably own the original, like with the Jyn Disguise. This being the 'deluxe' Luke, it's kind of ****** since most people shouldn't be double dipping given the original release.

If they put up the Bespin Luke with the same head looking the other way, that would be terrible for collectors. It's almost an excuse for them to just write "newly painted" on the product description.

Having the sideways glance on the same portrait is indeed another display option. I have (and like) both. While some have commented that the sideways glace is more "limiting" for posing, I respectfully disagree. With the right head tilt and some creative fun with lighting, the sideways glance offers something other than the standard, straight ahead dead-eyed look can have. that's just as "limiting" to me. I'm glad to have both.

A couple of sideways looks....

HT-ROTJ-LUKE v2-015.jpg

HT-ROTJ-LUKE v2-016.jpg

The straight ahead looks good too...

HT-ROTJ-LUKE-027.jpg

Last edited:
My guess is the complaints for this one are louder because for many this *is* their RotJ Luke figure and not a variant (like with Jyn) and they want the regular eyes forward portrait. Hot Toys really did make a mess of RotJ Luke in that very few people seem completely happy with the version they got. Either it's missing things and/or the portraits aren't the ones they want. They really should have DX'd this release and included pers. But it is what it is. A RotJ DX Luke (with two bodies) and an ANH one (with Farmboy and Ceremonial Luke - no way they would pair Red 5 in there) would have complimented the DX07 nicely.

I wonder if there would be a (very niche) market for high end replacement DX style art boxes. Gatefold opening with foam inserts where you could combine releases like the two RotJ Lukes or the Lightside/Darkside Anakin. Of course anyone buying those's OCD would require them to keep the original Hot Toys box as well :lol

Right, so I've been at this switching-arm problems with Luke for a week now, a week, that's not hyperbole, and it's still at that point where the fabric refuses to go beyond a certain point. I think I have a small blister on a finger from trying this ****. Anyone got some more advice/further directions other than "twist arm left and right"? Is it "push the arm up" or "pull the fabric down"? Or both?

Furthermore the fabric on the sleeve is starting to fade in color, does anyone know what sort of dye would help with this? Regular fabric dye?

Last edited:
I didn't think I had a preference but I'm on team side-eyed now. Took some photos of the two and it's just far more intense, think it works with the slightly open mouth a bit better than the original. It obviously all depends on what kind of pose you want, but I think the serene one is a little more limiting.

luke-rotj-01.jpg
luke-rotj-02.jpg
luke-rotj-sideby.jpg

Last edited:
Back