1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 320 - Star Wars Ep.VII - Kylo Ren

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That sig ensures your passage to Valhalla.

I am awaited, you know.

tumblr_inline_nqe8wfhWKC1rdpphj_500.gif

I have a very short time to consider for pre-ordering from my distributor. So, I have to pre-order it last week:slap

WWEJedi;8114560* said:
As I said, rumors say he had a part in the show, I like to think he did.

I know there was a video clip where he was talking to the writers & Filoni about the plot of a story arc, so he definitely had input on some of the Clone Wars.

Hey buddy. Been a while. I have already got Ren on PO and I haven't seen the movie yet. I just have a good feeling especially that JJ Abrams is behind the production and they kicked George Lucas to the curb and threw away his script he had written for the next three SW movies after ROTJ. I'm sorry but Lucas ruined the PT for me and especially with all of those Ewoks in ROTJ. Ugh. I have faith in JJ Abrams that he'll pull this off. [emoji6]

It has been a while my friend I hopes you are good. Yeah I will probably PO him in the end just delaying the inevitable. :slap

Sure I have a problem with the cash cow Ewoks in ROTJ and I sure have a lot of nit-picks with the PT but not as much as a lot of people and I personally enjoyed them.

You're speaking for anyone (everyone) in the world with taste. But you're wasting your breath here because the people you're replying to will only continue to reframe the discussion to fit their pre-conceived narrative. I've seen these guys quote back other posters and "reply" about something else entirely.

If it's not your taste then it sucks and everyone is wrong? And you complain about other people making stuff up?

As for your shot at me...personally...I never said I knew everything.but I'm not going to play stupid just so you or others feel good. When I see something I feel like commenting on, or know to be false I'm speaking up. Not my fualt people don't know what I do. Nor should I be getting flak becuase I happen to work in the field others play in.

I have no problem admitting when I don't know, or when I'm wrong.

The point I think myself and others are making about the PT vs OT is that some seem to view the OT with rose colored (ie-biased) glasses. The things people complain about are as prevalent in the OT as they are the pT. I mean complaining about computer graphics in Star Wars films completly, but only the PT not the OT, completly misses the mark. Your putting your own spin on parts and ignoring the rest. Then complain when someone else does the same thing, but disagrees. The difference is, you have other fan boys on your side as back up, maybe, and the others have the creator of the thing you claim to love.

To me the OT and PT where about equal. They are written the same, by the exact same people. They where shot by the same film makers. Both where hammy and silly and not the best acting. But they where both FUN.

The OT is much more significant, and has a unique place in pop culture...but the "issues" that keep being brought up to justify why the PT is worse are present in the OT as well. The CG complaint is the one that makes me laugh every time I see it. I mean really? In Star Wars? What did you expect. It was the computer aided cinematography and graphics that made the OT so popular and where most of its awards came from. To think the people that made that would not continue to push the computer side of things in subsequent films is silly. I'm not saying it worked out perfect. (Personally i prefer as much Practical effects as possible. Otherwise I don't get much work.)

I'm not saying it worked out perfect.
Understatement of the century. The basis of people's problem is not the fact that they used 'cg', it's that the end result looked terrible and down right embarrassing in places. They produced effects that looked worse than their counterparts in the 70's for goodness sake. Troopers looked worse, aliens looked worse, droids looked worse. It just doesn't make sense. They finally had the big budget and they made worse effects.

The OT is much more significant, and has a unique place in pop culture...but the "issues" that keep being brought up to justify why the PT is worse are present in the OT as well. The CG complaint is the one that makes me laugh every time I see it. I mean really? In Star Wars? What did you expect. It was the computer aided cinematography and graphics that made the OT so popular and where most of its awards came from. To think the people that made that would not continue to push the computer side of things in subsequent films is silly. I'm not saying it worked out perfect. (Personally i prefer as much Practical effects as possible. Otherwise I don't get much work.)

Well, what exactly are you talking about here? Just for the record, a huge proportion of VFX in ANH are done practically. Nearly all if we are talking pre-special editions.

VFX work on ANH involved lots of scaled miniatures, matte paintings, blue screens etc. but these were not computer composited shots... they were shot painstakingly as multi-pass elements that then get fed into an OPTICAL PRINTER. These are not used anymore but back in the day was how Visual effects were done.

ILM have an amazing book detailing how these early films were accomplished and was what lead to my going into the VFX field 22 years ago.

The AT-AT's? Stop motion miniatures combined in multi-pass process. One of my mentors hand rotoscoped mattes for laser blasts and used a "Down-shooter" Rostrum Camera to multi-expose them onto films (he was also responsible for some of the crawl animation on the opening).

When was that ever in any of the films? :huh

We did briefly glimpse the "Force super speed" as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were fleeing the Droidekas at the start of TPM, but it was never explained in the films.

(Then again, most of what we know about the SW universe was never explained on-screen, midichlorians notwithstanding.)

Some have questioned why Obi-Wan didn't use the super speed again to beat the force fields and help Qui-Gon at the end. The theory is he was fatigued by the battle up to that point.

Yoda also exhibits the super speed in his duel with Dooku, before reverting to "frail" Jedi Master.

Last edited:
I'm not going to play stupid just so you or others feel good.

I know you're not playing, but to other people who "know their stuff" it's easy to see when you're on the money and when you're lying through your teeth. You can give it a rest. The people you think you're impressing aren't important enough to make up for the fact you're making yourself look like a heel to everyone else. I'm not sure if this is a recent development of your online persona, as I quite liked many of your posts and even respected your position some months back. That's pretty much all bee wiped out by what I've seen in the past few weeks alone. Please don't try to start the shenanigans you've got going in the Marvel forum here.

If you don't know the differences between the OT and PT then there's no help available.

The point I think myself and others are making about the PT vs OT is that some seem to view the OT with rose colored (ie-biased) glasses. The things people complain about are as prevalent in the OT as they are the pT. I mean complaining about computer graphics in Star Wars films completly, but only the PT not the OT, completly misses the mark. Your putting your own spin on parts and ignoring the rest. Then complain when someone else does the same thing, but disagrees. The difference is, you have other fan boys on your side as back up, maybe, and the others have the creator of the thing you claim to love.

Cite one example where Pixelpiper, or any other person in this thread, has said that the OT are perfect movies. They're not, and no one is pretending that they are. People who don't like the prequels have that sentiment because, for them, there is nothing to root for - no relatable characters or circumstances because everything feels like a sterile boring vacuum - because of the overuse of clean CGI sets, weak story, bland acting and dialogue. The dialogue and the acting may not have been outstanding in the OT either (in my opinion, it's serviceable and doesn't really distract me from enjoying them), but at least the lived-in universe felt somewhat real and the story was engaging, and actually made me care. The characters felt like real people because, IMO, they didn't act like cardboard cutouts and had authentic motivations and emotions.

I too prefer practical effects, and the PT is an example of where CGI is overused. We're not complaining about how the PT used CG in general. We're complaining that it was virtually all they used, for even the smallest of things - sets, background characters etc. We're not being hypocritical by not acknowledging that computers may have been used to control some of the VFX cameras that were shooting complex miniature and model shots for the original trilogy. The word overuse is critical here.

Understatement of the century. The basis of people's problem is not the fact that they used 'cg', it's that the end result looked terrible and down right embarrassing in places. They produced effects that looked worse than their counterparts in the 70's for goodness sake. Troopers looked worse, aliens looked worse, droids looked worse. It just doesn't make sense. They finally had the big budget and they made worse effects.

:exactly::exactly::exactly: Not all the OT effects look perfect, but at least there are real sets and people that don't look like they're from a video game.

We did briefly glimpse the "Force super speed" as Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan were fleeing the Droidekas at the start of TPM, but it was never explained in the films.

(Then again, most of what we know about the SW universe was never explained on-screen, midichlorians notwithstanding.)

Some have questioned why Obi-Wan didn't use the super speed again to beat the force fields and help Qui-Gon at the end. The theory is he was fatigued by the battle up to that point.

Yoda also exhibits the super speed in his duel with Dooku, before reverting to "frail" Jedi Master.

Eh, I don't buy it. I don't really see any correlation between Yoda bouncing off the walls and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon running quickly.

Eh, I don't buy it. I don't really see any correlation between Yoda bouncing off the walls and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon running quickly.

Both are examples of the Jedi's ability for temporary bursts of "super power". It's actually more pronounced in Yoda's case, as he goes from frail to super-powered and back again.

Regarding the "clean" universe of the PT, that was fully intentional by Lucas, to contrast the "perfect" (but ultimately flawed) height of the Republic with the "decayed" backwaters of the Empire.

So.....how about this Kylo Ren figure....
Anyone PO yet?
The Aussie dollar is killing it for me, and even local etailers have the PO price here up the wazoo!
The only saving grace is I will pay the OT figures off before I even grab this guy.

So.....how about this Kylo Ren figure....
Anyone PO yet?
The Aussie dollar is killing it for me, and even local etailers have the PO price here up the wazoo!
The only saving grace is I will pay the OT figures off before I even grab this guy.

All the bravado in a toy thread :panic:

I'm sold on the design even before seeing the character on film therefore, I have him on PO at BBTS. Kylo and TRU FO Trooper will be my lone FA investments until I see the film.

Last edited:
All the bravo talk in a toy thread :panic:

I'm sold on the design even before seeing the character on film therefore, I have him on PO at BBTS. Kylo and TRU FO Trooper will be my lone FA investments until I see the film.

I know right, it seems to be in ALL the threads nowadays, lol, but..I like this place :D

BBTS is great! But damn the Aussie $ Vs USD.
I too have the Squad leader on PO but am refraining from PO of the other TFA characters until for now, eventhough i will get them once I pay out the OT characters.
I assume Phasma shouldn't be too far behind now.

O
I know right, it seems to be in ALL the threads nowadays, lol, but..I like this place :D

BBTS is great! But damn the Aussie $ Vs USD.
I too have the Squad leader on PO but am refraining from PO of the other TFA characters until for now, eventhough i will get them once I pay out the OT characters.
I assume Phasma shouldn't be too far behind now.

I am holding out mostly because I anticipate other cool characters coming that haven't been revealed. That and OT is my primary focus...

Back