Hot Toys MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys – MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

Took all day, since I only watched it on and off and had to rewind a few scenes I missed, but I finished my viewing of Returns. Can't remember the last time I saw it, or how many times for that matter.

It brought back a lot of memories, but more than that it struck me that this film has a ... texture ... that contemporary films don't have, and a pace that leaves you time to digest and think.

Maybe I'm viewing this through too much nostalgia but I don't think they make superhero films like this anymore. And man...it was weird.

I actually think I prefer this one to its predecessor, though. In 1997 I was around 23-24 years old...and if i recall, still a raging goth/post-punk/alternative club kid. This film would have resonated heavily with myself and my friends, back then. Hell if I can remember exactly...those years are a bit of a blur.

Re: Hot Toys – MMS 293 & 294 Batman Returns: Batman and Bruce Wayne (Keaton) Set

Thoughts??

$_12.JPG

Not worth $600.

Besides that, the paintjob for the skin is nice, but the eyes are far too wet looking. Looks like he just got pepper-sprayed.

Can't tell for sure, but it looks like the hairjob didn't really get the curly texture of Keaton's hair. Not sure the Hot Toys one did either, for that matter.

In the end, every price and purchase needs justification. In the end they are high end toys or as my wife says "dolls."
No way would I spend that much for a head sculpt. Hell, retail hot toys and ssc prices are high enough anymore.

You do not want to get it and then say," Why again did I spend this much?" This would be major buyer remorse or divorce.

Agreed.

Batman Returns isn't my favorite Batman movie, the plot/story is too ****ing weird, like indie-art house strange. It's too much for me at times. I still can't believe Warner Bros. allowed something that "out there" for their summer blockbuster, especially the sequel to one of their biggest hits at the time. You'd never see something like that today where people want to play it safe.

BUT visually and thematically, there's just something about Returns that's very striking. The sleek and sharp character designs, the wintery/cold atmosphere, the gorgeous cinematography and iconic shots, that soundtrack, it just has these unique qualities that have stayed with me after the past two decades. For every weird moment (like Penguin and that damn Batmobile ride on thing) there are equally brilliant ones (Batman patrolling at night, anything with Catwoman/Batman). Script writing aside, it's still my favorite Batman movie to watch on blu ray. It looks great.

Yup thats why burton is one the best director in the business, his signature is very original.

I don't think I have ever seen a good haired head sculpt from that Jan customizer. Every head sculpt on eBay that he sells looks bad, not the head sculpts but more the hair and that Keaton one is no exception.

^Agree. All his heads are way over-priced and don't look nearly as good as he thinks they do. Pretty sure he used pubes for that Bruce Wayne head.

^Agree. All his heads are way over-priced and don't look nearly as good as he thinks they do. Pretty sure he used pubes for that Bruce Wayne head.

I agree. I don't usually like to get 'tore into' someone's work but this one is over $400. :horror

$_12.jpg

atermSub178z.jpg

Agreed.

Batman Returns isn't my favorite Batman movie, the plot/story is too ****ing weird, like indie-art house strange. It's too much for me at times. I still can't believe Warner Bros. allowed something that "out there" for their summer blockbuster, especially the sequel to one of their biggest hits at the time. You'd never see something like that today where people want to play it safe.

BUT visually and thematically, there's just something about Returns that's very striking. The sleek and sharp character designs, the wintery/cold atmosphere, the gorgeous cinematography and iconic shots, that soundtrack, it just has these unique qualities that have stayed with me after the past two decades. For every weird moment (like Penguin and that damn Batmobile ride on thing) there are equally brilliant ones (Batman patrolling at night, anything with Catwoman/Batman). Script writing aside, it's still my favorite Batman movie to watch on blu ray. It looks great.

Let me jump on to this topic as well.
I'm one of those people that would pick the 2 Tim Burton Batman movies anyday then Schumacher or Nolan. I grew up watching the first Batman movie and then the animated series and when I was a teenager started to read Batman comics. Till this day I still think there's certain qualities of Batman that Tim Burton gets that no director and actors understand after Batman and Batman Returns. Just the suit up scene alone shows how unique Burton's vision was. All the movies, fan films and such shows Batman suit up with only one suit. Most of the times it's just close ups for him puttingo n this belt of boots, etc but Burton showed that he has a vault with multiple suits on a rack, and more than just one cowl. It was such a badass scene. I'm tempted to cast the cowl and replicate the cape and cowl display stand that was featured in the suit up scene in Batman Returns.

Suit up scenes are hammy.

yeah that bruce lee head itself looks kinda generic, not a super great bruce lee but you know it good enough to pass for. The hair on the other hand is not that great for 400 bucks. Thats why i always prefer sculpted hair. :lecture

It's fine artistry, and I'm sure that Jan, whoever he/she is puts a lot of effort into their work. It's just that rooted hair doesn't work for me personally, and I would never pay $400 for it.

Looks like a post-Hulk-out Bruce Banner. That hair is too messy for Bruce Wayne. There's no need for rooted hair with this character.

The Keaton hair is actually less scary than that sculpt honestly.

Looks like a post-Hulk-out Bruce Banner. That hair is too messy for Bruce Wayne. There's no need for rooted hair with this character.

usually it doesn't work well for male figures

Back