1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh crap, did I miss this? I had the chance but chose a second SS clonetrooper.
Guess I'll have to wait for VTS. Or the HT ghost version.

Fellow Freaks, here's the deal. I've been sitting firmly on the fence regarding this figure for months. I love my SS Old Ben, but I have to be honest. Even though I think SS Obi is the finest human (non-armored) final product figure that's ever come out of the SS shop, the paint job is just not holding up next to the ANH Hot Toys releases, and I'm finding it very challenging to use him in my photography with the HT line. I'm considering a repaint on him by Darren (if possible) or perhaps another talented artist.

OR

Along with the Han & Chewie set I found at my LCS that I discussed in the Chewbacca thread, there is an in stock HT Obi-Wan for $225 that I could have tomorrow if I choose. I know he's a great figure from your comments here, and from my first hand experience with the rest of the HT ANH line thus far released (yes, I have all of them), but as some of you may recall from my earlier posts on the subject, I've been steadfastly unmoved by the head sculpt on this figure.

HOWEVER, many others have drawn this same conclusion from in hand pics posted here of ANH Luke, Han, Chewie, etc. and I can tell you that (IMHO of course) they all look phenomenal in person.

SO...

What are your thoughts? Should I jump on this HT Obi to complete the HT set, or save my funds for. SS repaint? I know the Buck body has its limitations compared to the Tru, but Old Ben isn't going to be in too many dynamic poses, so I really don't think it's much of a concern. I'm honestly torn. What would you all do faced with this choice?

@QuiGonFishing

If you can buy him at retail and have the money you should do it now. The train is leaving the station on this figure. Get him in hand and add it to your collection and see what you think. If after some time with it you decide you still would rather have a repaint of the SS, you will easily be able to sell the HT and for more than you paid for it (which means more money to spend on repainting the SS).

2cents

Buy Kenobi before he sells out everywhere (he basically has, except for your magical LCS that has what everyone wants) and then still consider the repaint in the meantime? That's how'd I'd go about it as I'm always inclined to buy and then sell off in order to really experience an item. I'm sure your SS Kenobi could use an upgrade with HT parts at least so that could give you ideas when you have the together.

Edit: Basically what Spark said. :)

Just scored Kenobi from my local shop for $239. before tax which I consider a fair price since I missed out on preordering and wasn't going to pay ebay prices. He also had 1 Kenobi left which was the display piece. They also had a displayed Chewbacca which they wanted $430 for.

Buy Kenobi before he sells out everywhere (he basically has, except for your magical LCS that has what everyone wants) and then still consider the repaint in the meantime? That's how'd I'd go about it as I'm always inclined to buy and then sell off in order to really experience an item. I'm sure your SS Kenobi could use an upgrade with HT parts at least so that could give you ideas when you have the together.

Edit: Basically what Spark said. :)

OMG, its the LCS abbreviation? In what universe do you all live that your local comic dude actually stocks Hot Toys Chewbaccas? My god, man, that is awesome. Only thing I see in my local store is attitude from the card nerds playing cards. Dreaming of girls, I'm sure.

Fellow Freaks, here's the deal. I've been sitting firmly on the fence regarding this figure for months. I love my SS Old Ben, but I have to be honest. Even though I think SS Obi is the finest human (non-armored) final product figure that's ever come out of the SS shop, the paint job is just not holding up next to the ANH Hot Toys releases, and I'm finding it very challenging to use him in my photography with the HT line. I'm considering a repaint on him by Darren (if possible) or perhaps another talented artist.

OR

Along with the Han & Chewie set I found at my LCS that I discussed in the Chewbacca thread, there is an in stock HT Obi-Wan for $225 that I could have tomorrow if I choose. I know he's a great figure from your comments here, and from my first hand experience with the rest of the HT ANH line thus far released (yes, I have all of them), but as some of you may recall from my earlier posts on the subject, I've been steadfastly unmoved by the head sculpt on this figure.

HOWEVER, many others have drawn this same conclusion from in hand pics posted here of ANH Luke, Han, Chewie, etc. and I can tell you that (IMHO of course) they all look phenomenal in person.

SO...

What are your thoughts? Should I jump on this HT Obi to complete the HT set, or save my funds for. SS repaint? I know the Buck body has its limitations compared to the Tru, but Old Ben isn't going to be in too many dynamic poses, so I really don't think it's much of a concern. I'm honestly torn. What would you all do faced with this choice?

Christ, man. ok, so its like this. Smalls Studios repainted my ANH Old ben years ago - it looks awesome. Really does. And I originally was very very hard on the inital pics of HT's obi-wan. Glad I got him. Looks Amazing in person. When I first got him, thought the likeness was about 80% there. Now, all I see is the actor. Even with the awesome paint job on my custom ANH old ben, it looks like a caricature compared to the HT realism details.

What makes this figure so great? They nailed the eyes, man. Unlike ANH and Stormie Luke that has this 'look up, down, somewhere' eye issue, they nailed it with this figure.

Get it. You'll hate yourself later. No way we get Old Ben 2.0 ever. Not gonna happen. Ask that one dude, Bauer.

And if you buy it, give him a gut for god's sake. I'd take a pic of mine, but I don't hate you that much to make you suffer with my photography skills. This figure is perhaps my favorite figure ever from HT. And that is saying something,

Last edited:

OR

SO...

hey QuiGonFishing I was in the same boat I had a repainted ss ben and I thought that was good enough for me. but then I keep seeing every ones pictures the more I liked the HT version and wanted it so I bought it. I decided to use the ss old been outfit pants, tunic, sash. and the rest is HT obi wan from his body to his boots. it`s an awesome figure buy or regret. hey some times tough choice comes with tough decisions :gah: I hope this helps in your decision. and good luck on what you decided to do. :wave

@QuiGonFishing

I also have the SSC Kenobi, only paid $80 for it brand new and feel like its not worth upgrading to the Hot Toys version. If I do decide to upgrade later on down the line I would just buy the head sculpt and throw it on the SSC body. Everyone has their personal opinions on this figure and if I didnt already own the SSC I would buy the Hot Toys version, but I feel like the SSC Kenobi does his job IMO. Good luck on whatever you decide......

Buy the HT and if you don't like it sell it and put that money towards the SS repaint.:huh

The doll is going to hit $400 pretty fast if it hasn't already.

Buy the HT and if you don't like it sell it and put that money towards the SS repaint.:huh

The doll is going to hit $400 pretty fast if it hasn't already.

Its already hitting the $350ish mark on ebay but I just feel like that's all hype. It happened to the Avengers Age of Ultron Captain American and it eventually started to come back down. Im happy with my SSC version but if you dont own any then pick up the Hot Toys version......

Its already hitting the $350ish mark on ebay but I just feel like that's all hype. It happened to the Avengers Age of Ultron Captain American and it eventually started to come back down. Im happy with my SSC version but if you dont own any then pick up the Hot Toys version......

I would agree with you. i would, except for one little detail:

this is STAR WARS

The 10th version (or any version) of Captain American isn't nor will ever be ANH Obi-Wan Kenobi though. This is freaking OT STAR WARS we are talking about here and HT didn't make enough.

Back