1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See, to me HT's looks more like a real person than the one pictured above. The sculpt looks rougher to me, even with the better paint job. That's not to say it's BAD. It's just very different stylistically and maybe looks more like him because it's a bit more caricaturized. I just prefer the more realistic look of the HT, which I totally see Alec McGuiness in, though I wouldn't call it PERFECT. But I respect other people's opinions on the matter. I just don't like when people act as though it is a fact that it's totally off when, clearly, it's debatable.

Yeah, what I was saying earlier is that the repaints (even gorgeous $200 ones) tend to look a bit like oil paintings of Ben, whereas the HT sculpt/apps combo (with the pores, translucence etc.) looks like a shrunken-down living person.

It's frustrating that the likeness is nailed on a slightly oversized head lacking in finer sculpt detail with terrible factory paint (necessitating a $150-200 repaint, because the headsculpt's 3/4's of a Ben figure) while the gorgeous life-like fine detail sculpt and ultra-real paint is used on a sculpt with only a 7/10 likeness.

For me, by the time I buy a SSC Ben, pay for the repaint, replace body, hands, boots and possibly saber (and maybe even grab the HT stand) I'm looking at close to $350 and a 3-9 month wait - and even then, I have a great oil painting of Ben. HT Ben will be $200 with coupon and will be in-hand in a month. Best of a bad situation.

I still like this Ben very much (whoever's it is)...

View attachment 210613

Small pic with hood up FTW!:lol

Yeah, what I was saying earlier is that the repaints (even gorgeous $200 ones) tend to look a bit like oil paintings of Ben, whereas the HT sculpt/apps combo (with the pores, translucence etc.) looks like a shrunken-down living person.

It's frustrating that the likeness is nailed on a slightly oversized head lacking in finer sculpt detail with terrible factory paint (necessitating a $150-200 repaint, because the headsculpt's 3/4's of a Ben figure) while the gorgeous life-like fine detail sculpt and ultra-real paint is used on a sculpt with only a 7/10 likeness.

For me, by the time I buy a SSC Ben, pay for the repaint, replace body, hands, boots and possibly saber (and maybe even grab the HT stand) I'm looking at close to $350 and a 3-9 month wait - and even then, I have a great oil painting of Ben. HT Ben will be $200 with coupon and will be in-hand in a month. Best of a bad situation.

Same repainted figure.

4582082784.jpg

I really hope that whoever buys this is good with Photoshop. Or has a decent camera with great light options. Or hell, download an app that makes cheap as hell sushi look like some Dubai gourmet sushi bar. Otherwise your figure will likely NEVER look like the onslaught of fancy pictures being shown.

Horrible likeness. Sorry.

I agree with each and every word in this post.

I had a SSC 12" Obi-Wan. Didn't care for it too much and I never had the funds to invest to make it any better. So when it was announced that Hot Toys secured the SW license, I sold it thinking that, in time, they would release a far superior figure. It's frustrating to see that I'll be getting another Obi-Wan that will be flawed for altogether different reasons.

Just enjoy the figure which you choose to have in your own collection. As long as you like it, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

Last edited:
Just enjoy the figure which you choose to have in your own collection. As long as you like it, it doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks.

:exactly:

In hand some figures give off a different vibe than any photo can convey. SS Snake Plissken is a prime example for me (displayed without the jacket, that is).

It's just a matter of convincing yourself to take the plunge into the unknown. A massive amount of reward points helped with Plissken!

I agree with each and every word in this post.

I had a SSC 12" Obi-Wan. Didn't care for it too much and I never had the funds to invest to make it any better. So when it was announced that Hot Toys secured the SW license, I sold it thinking that, in time, they would release a far superior figure. It's frustrating to see that I'll be getting another Obi-Wan that will be flawed for altogether different reasons.

It's almost like the whole concept of a Star Wars character paint-up/repaint has shifted since HT entered the SW game. I don't follow many other lines, but from my limited knowledge, paint-ups were reserved for (usually custom sculpt) characters that had not been produced - like say Breaking Bad, Mad Men, the Dude etc. - and lines where the releases were decent but not great apps-wise. Like Sideshow's efforts with human heads in SW, Indy and LOTR.

In that context, paint-ups and repaints worked - some were amateurish, some were decent improvements over the original and a small handful were stellar. But since HT entered the SW game, I'm having a harder time accepting the "look" of SW repaints. Obviously, they just can't look as stunningly realistic as the way HT does heads (that weird combo of translucence and paint apps, plus ultra-real eyes.) It makes - to me - repaints look like paintings of the character, not the living character shrunken down. Yet I didn't used to think this way. Maybe it's just context - people loved that SSC Luke Jedi head back in 2006.

There are certainly a few guys on these boards that do stunningly realistic work (I was recently totally blown away by an Indy paint-up) but most repaints/paint-ups I just don't think can even come close to HT - the way repaints used to handily surpass even the best SSC apps. We've just never seen Star Wars characters done this realistically at 1/6 scale. Yeah, a few HT sculpts have been a little disappointing (though Leia and Luke will change that) but the "living" realism of the heads is never in question.

Don't want to derail the thread any further, but just take a look at this figure:

New from 3R-“LSSAH”—SS-Oberstgruppenführer Joseph Dietrich - OSW: One Sixth Warrior Forum

IMHO, the quality in sculpt, tailoring, paint apps and details is simply amazing.

Now, back to SW and old Ben...

The 3R figures look incredible, too bad they're nazis..

I can understand that someone might want their figures, but there are whole elaborate sets with desks and stuff. "-Here is a diorama with Heinrich Himmler signing orders to send another hundred people to the gas chamber", that's kind of strange to me. But the quality is someting else, some of the absolute best I've seen.

Darren Carnall.jpg

This is painted by Darren Carnall and it's probably the best Ben I have found.

Here is another newer paint apparently:

11214109_10153893331469119_9193769728054738990_n.jpg

Still up close like this it doesn't match the paint quality of HT, but the sculpt does look like Kenobi.

It's just so weird how from the front HT Kenobi looks like anything but him, but in profile that changes and it looks a lot better. I can't swear that the profile is perfect compared to the real Alec Guiness but at least it doesn't NOT look like him if you know what I mean. :lol

Re: Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi Sixth Scale Figure

I have said it in the past that this is an amazing sculpt but I still need some more convincing it's Ben. I do have him on pre-order and I have a repainted SSC one but as I live in the UK it will not be available until the end of Feb 2016. I was going to buy him straight from HK on ebay but I think if I wait until the dust has settled by the end of Feb there should be more pictures around and reviews and my mind will be made up by then and once I see it in hand I am sure that this will be the only Ben I will ever need but until then...

star_wars_obi-wan_kenobi_desktop_1077x900_hd-wallpaper-482006.jpg

Hot toys up to their Jedi mind tricks

Here are some pics I saw on facebook I think look really good and look a bit more like Guinness...
11904734_935989856473998_3082941276331370196_n.jpg11990387_935990963140554_3896474157825583669_n.jpg12002999_935991746473809_2077529958310858556_n.jpg12003422_935932806479703_3204197154989605542_n.jpg

Nice lens distortion. :lol
yea, bit of a fish eye thing going on in that one

Head looks good in the second last pic.

yea, the likeness seems best from a profile or partial profile view.
12002999_935991746473809_2077529958310858556_n.jpg

But I was surprised that he looked pretty good in the first one from straight on too. Not many straight on pictures convey Guinness to me like that one (not as much as the profile ones but better than other straight on ones).
11904734_935989856473998_3082941276331370196_n.jpg

Back