1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is very, very close. Almost perfect iyam. Some people need their eyes checked if they think the SS version is much better than this proto.

It's not even a matter of opinion. The hot toys is more realistic, the sideshow looks like a toy.

10 years from now when the hobby has evolved, this current "look" that we perceive as highly detailed will be outdated. . .

I think people tend to mistake excessive details like crazy skin wrinkles and paint freckles (even on characters that don't have them) with likeness accuracy

This is word!

Yeah, I'll get this one.

It's a nice representation, 80% likeness aside. Nice set with a light up saber.

I'll bite when I find a good deal.

One thing that would go a long way with the sculpt is if his lips had the slightest upturn at the edges, not quite a smile but most pictures you see it seems the neutral expression of Guinness has that almost smile.

10 years from now when the hobby has evolved, this current "look" that we perceive as highly detailed will be outdated. Hot Toys is definitely the best in the biz but I think people tend to mistake excessive details like crazy skin wrinkles and paint freckles (even on characters that don't have them) with likeness accuracy. They have a nack for "roughing up" things that should be smooth, not just headsculpts but bodies too ('89 Batman and his rough, cement textured chest armor).

True, just looking at the Ben sculpt I can see freckles that weren't actually on Alec Guinness' face. I'm still very happy with the result here though.

So all that talk about it being canceled was just rubbish someone concocted? Whoever did that business should be shame for themselves now.

So all that talk about it being canceled was just rubbish someone concocted? Whoever did that business should be shame for themselves now.

It was canceled, but they've now introduced a new improved sculpt based on the same character. So it was canceled...from a certain point of view.

Post #439, DiFabio. He shouldn't just be ashamed of himself. He should be banned.

han%2Bsolo%2Bwho%2Bme.gif

Haha. Repped.

Edit: well I tried. Apparently I have to 'spread it around' more like some rep slut before I can give it to you again.

Hot Toys is stylized in their own way too. The dark, textured skin and the dead (albeit detailed) glazed over eyes. Pretty much every character they do looks like they have a tan, how about that all those stoic expressions? People don't all look like that with the same color eyes and skin so it's not realistic. When you see a Hot Toys sculpt, you can tell it's a Hot Toys sculpt.

10 years from now when the hobby has evolved, this current "look" that we perceive as highly detailed will be outdated. Hot Toys is definitely the best in the biz but I think people tend to mistake excessive details like crazy skin wrinkles and paint freckles (even on characters that don't have them) with likeness accuracy. They have a nack for "roughing up" things that should be smooth, not just headsculpts but bodies too ('89 Batman and his rough, cement textured chest armor).

The Force is strong with this one!

Agree 200% with you

The details in this sculpt are remarkable, Hot Toys has really taken a huge jump in the details of their sculpts. Too bad the likeness is completely off. It's a great sculpt of an old guy dressing up as Obi Won for comic con, but it's not Alec Guinness.

The outfit looks perfect, I'll be picking up parts from this figure to upgrade my sideshow Old Ben. A repainted Sideshow Ben beats this sculpt easily in terms of likeness.

Back