1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 283 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Obi-Wan Kenobi

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Obi-Wan Kenobi Sixth Scale Figure

Isn't Lord Darth Vader repetitive then?

:lol

Ha! Very!

Excuse me, let me address you by your full title; Lord Dark Lord of the Sith Vader, Sorcerer of the Force, Wielder of the Sword of Light, Master of heavy breathing.

I didn't hate the prequels, but I did love the clone wars series. Wish I could say the same about Rebels...

And in regards to the new generation, I have nephews and nieces, and between them and all their friends, I've never met one that was blown away by the prequels the way our generation was blown away by Star Wars. If the OT didn't exist and the PT was all there was, it never would've made it to Attack of the Clones.

Possibly, but in fairness the PT did come after 20 years of event movies spawned by the OT.

When Obi-Wan said "You can't win, Darth" it was said with a familiarity/affection that suggested it was a name. But I have no problem with it now being a title.

I also have no problem with the prequels being part of the canon, warts and all. They may have been lacking in terms of direction and acting, but the storyline is no worse than that of the OT.

i see it more like Obi Wan mocking him.

Good! Can't be said enough how much the prequels suck. :lol

And in regards to the new generation, I have nephews and nieces, and between them and all their friends, I've never met one that was blown away by the prequels the way our generation was blown away by Star Wars. If the OT didn't exist and the PT was all there was, it never would've made it to Attack of the Clones.

To me it's no different than if someone in Game of Thrones addresses an opponent as "Ser". Just doesn't matter to me, either way, and both interpretations work.

The classic trilogy characters - pretty much everything one of them - were all massive pop culture touchstones (known to even people who would never have an interest in SW) in their time - and endure. I can't think of any prequel character that had the same impact. Jar Jar in a mocking, highly negative way, and Maul was cool for the Star Wars crowd and kids at the time, but not to any wider audience beyond that, and certainly none of that really endured in the way characters like R2 or Yoda did.

When was the sith first called the sith anyway? I remember I read it in the Marvel comic but it's not in any of the movies as I recall? In the PT it's all over the place of course, but that was so many years after the first movies.

Yeah, it was in the original Marvel movie adaptation so must have been in the screenplay, even if not mentioned on-screen.

The first appearance seems to have been in Alan Dean Foster's novel in 1976:

The first use of the word "Sith" was in the novelization of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, as a title for Darth Vader, the "Dark Lord of the Sith". The Sith were not formally introduced or mentioned on-screen until the release of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, in 1999, though they had been named in some Expanded Universe works before that time.

Sith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't think the whole Darth situation can be blamed on the PT. The OT changed Vader to become Luke's father, so Darth as a first name wouldn't make sense anymore.

Plot lines from the OT did not translate well to the PT. Obi-Wan doesn't even consider Leia as another hope because clearly the character was written to not even know about her. So in the PT they somehow would have had to keep Obi-Wan away from the birth of the children, yet he would still have to know about Luke. It really wouldn't have made any sense to do that.

Then of course there's Leia remembering her mother and Luke not being able to, even though they turn out to be twins and she dies during childbirth. Pretty difficult to write that into the PT without it looking stupid.

I feel that there will eventually be an entire Star Wars reboot, that eliminates these inconsistencies from the OT, to better match with the PT. There will be no potential romance between Luke and Leia because they will both sense something between them. Vader will appear to be more in control rather than a robot for the human members of the Empire. The Emperor will be involved with ANH.

Disney paid a pretty penny for this license, I see them making as much out of it as they can. Might be 20 years after they finish these 3 new films, but eventually I think they will want to re make all of them. After all, this will be over 60 years after ANH was made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember an Empire Strikes Back trading card of Vader looming in the carbon freeze chamber...I think...back in 1980 that was captioned "Dark Lord Of The Sith" but I can't be sure. Anyone able to confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember an Empire Strikes Back trading card of Vader looming in the carbon freeze chamber...I think...back in 1980 that was captioned "Dark Lord Of The Sith" but I can't be sure. Anyone able to confirm?

there were two different version of that card. because I have both of those. the one you quoted was in a three card set which you got at burger king back in the day. and the other came in the packs that said his day of triumph.

The first appearance seems to have been in Alan Dean Foster's novel in 1976:

The first use of the word "Sith" was in the novelization of Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope, as a title for Darth Vader, the "Dark Lord of the Sith". The Sith were not formally introduced or mentioned on-screen until the release of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, in 1999, though they had been named in some Expanded Universe works before that time.

Sith - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's actually even earlier:

ADVENTURES
OF
THE STARKILLER
(episode one)
“The Star Wars”
by
George Lucas​
SECOND DRAFT
January 28, 1975
LUCASFILM LIMITED
52 Park Way
San Anselmo
California 94960

THE BLACK KNIGHTS OF THE SITH.

And then:
Third Draft
Aug 1, 1975
“THE STAR WARS”
From The Adventures of Luke Starkiller
By
George Lucas

the DARK LORDS OF THE SITH.

Star Wars Scripts | Starkiller

Yep, these forums are probably an echo chamber for cranky old prequel-hating geezers. There's a whole new generation out there that (heaven forbid) doesn't have a problem with the prequels.

I know this is going to be controversial, but I watched Revenge of the Sith last week for the first time since seeing it in the cinema and I actually quite liked it. The opening is uninvolving garbage but the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine is pretty compelling, and when Palpatine becomes disfigured he acquires a 'WTF is that?' quality that is genuinely chilling - it's like the inside of his soul suddenly becomes visible.

The other two prequel movies were not only as bad as I remembered them but worse, which is quite something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aren't you in the UK? We never got Empire trading cards. A friend of mine went on holiday to the US and brought some back... he was a hero in the playground for weeks.

I know this is going to be controversial, but I watched Revenge of the Sith last week for the first time since seeing it in the cinema and I actually quite liked it. The opening is uninvolving garbage but the relationship between Anakin and Palpatine is pretty compelling, and when Palpatine becomes disfigured he acquires a 'WTF is that?' quality that is genuinely chilling - it's like the inside of his soul suddenly becomes visible.

The other two prequel movies were not only as bad as I remembered them but worse, which is quite something.

You know what's really cool about Revenge of the Sith? Anakin saves Palpatine from falling down a shaft and in Return of the Jedi, he throws him down a shaft.

You know what's really cool about Revenge of the Sith? Anakin saves Palpatine from falling down a shaft and in Return of the Jedi, he throws him down a shaft.

You're just talkin' 'bout shaft.

wenn5242963-e1350566737558.jpg

I remember an episode of That 70's Show when Eric references Darth Vader as being a Dark Lord of the Sith. I also thought that was a mistake because that word wasn't widely known back in the 70's, but now with all the info you guys brought up I guess it's possible.

Black Knights of the Sith....

So his name then should have been "Blath".

Darth Vader, as I'm sure most people know, is a version of 'Dark Father' - Lucas wanted two words that were reminiscent of 'Dark Father'. The name was chosen well before Lucas hit on the idea of making Vader Luke's father, sometime during the preproduction of Empire.

It only become a title much later - I don't know when, but it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't even a title until the prequels, though that's speculation by me.

Back