1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 279 - Star Wars Episode IV: 1/6th scale Darth Vader

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the gloves, it would be awesome if an enterprising talented 3d sculptor could digitally recreate the ANH style gloves in a variety of poses, print them out , then cast them in a flexible black material.

I have a few painting/weathering questions for you guys.
I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to do some standard mods to my Vader. First the buckle and belt boxes. I have some Testors silver and also aluminum paint. My idea was to actually use a toothpick and sort of drag it along the edges in various spots to get that edge weathering. I also have all 6 of the Tamiya weathering kits. Would those be better?

The chest armor: since I need the middle line to not be black, I'll need to paint over all the gray areas on the armor. So my thought was to paint all that with aluminum and then take my Vallejo gunmetal paint, dilute it 50/50 with water, and paint over everything in layers until I get the coverage that gets the black and grey parts of the armor to where they should be color wise. Does this sound about right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnificent!

Looks very nice, subtle but present.

Amazing !!! The mods you've done really enhance the screen look of Vader.:clap

Now that's a mod that's worth doing:clap, however some of the close ups, I lose the realistic accuracy and it looks like a toy. The eyes look too big and bright on the side shots that it doesn't look realistic anymore

Just wow! Did you paint the eyelids too?

Regarding the gloves, it would be awesome if an enterprising talented 3d sculptor could digitally recreate the ANH style gloves in a variety of poses, print them out , then cast them in a flexible black material.

That sounds like...a lotta work. :p

I only have experience casting metal. I could take a crack at modeling the gloves in ZBrush (hands are relatively easy) but it wouldn't be for a month or two. Anyone have info on a good material to cast them in?

I have a few painting/weathering questions for you guys.
I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to do some standard mods to my Vader. First the buckle and belt boxes. I have some Testors silver and also aluminum paint. My idea was to actually use a toothpick and sort of drag it along the edges in various spots to get that edge weathering. I also have all 6 of the Tamiya weathering kits. Would those be better?

The chest armor: since I need the middle line to not be black, I'll need to paint over all the gray areas on the armor. So my thought was to paint all that with aluminum and then take my Vallejo gunmetal paint, dilute it 50/50 with water, and paint over everything in layers until I get the coverage that gets the black and grey parts of the armor to where they should be color wise. Does this sound about right?

I see a lot of people repainting or wanting to repaint the chest armor, what exactly is the issue with the stock HT Vader chest armor? Did they use the wrong colors or is it mispainted?

Grab your copy of A New Hope and see what your eyes tell you. Trust me, it will be very clear. The ANH chest armour was drastically different in terms of finish than any of the other movies. HT seems to have gone with the ESB armor paint job on this one which is hopelessly incorrect if ANH Vader is the goal.

Thanks to this thread I did the final mod on Vader so the arms can go down.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456080591.015565.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456080608.968155.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456080621.798241.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456080632.681500.jpg

Outstanding! What did you change if you don't mind me asking ?

Lowered the dome
Repainted mask and armor
Weathered everything
Cut into the chest padding rubber and trimmed fabric so the arms can go down
Wired up all electronics to dc voltage
Took wire from robe
Added thicker wire along bottom of robe.
Moved everything closer together
Added metal chipping to all metal parts
Painted inside of the eyes red
Stuck gloves to hands with double sided tape
Painted hands Matt black
Added cold cathode light saber

The way that diorama reflects off of Vader's dome just hits all the right spots.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Back