1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More like this.......

Charliesangels.jpg

Charlies-Angels-DI.jpg

:rotfl

...but it was still a great set-up, and Chewie looks especially badass.

I don't think the problem with this sculpt is the likeness, it's the expression - the fact that his face looks too sensible. It doesn't really capture Han's swagger. Paramore's great pics show that really well - gunslinger poses, but blank expression.

I don't think the problem with this sculpt is the likeness, it's the expression - the fact that his face looks too sensible. It doesn't really capture Han's swagger. Paramore's great pics show that really well - gunslinger poses, but blank expression.

I think a fault of Hot Toys (which I believe is some sort of a company policy) is to stay conservative with the expression of sculpts, avoiding even characteristic expressions that define certain personalities, like those of the Inglourious Basterds figures and Indiana Jones. Maybe from a designing standpoint, they focus too much on clinical likeness and leave the risk of sculpting smirks and sneering expressions to the other, smaller figure companies. Even Chewbacca suffers from this and I wish his sculpt had his mouth a bit more open in a growl, which he was doing most of the time anyway whether genuinely angry or just communicating with other characters.

With that said, I'm still very happy with both figures, which are the best likenesses of either character.

The reason isn't fear of losing likeness, it's so that you can theoretically use the figure in the maximum number of poses and created situations and have the figure's expression "work". For instance if you wanted to create a the moment on the falcon when Han and Leia start staring into each other's eyes, this sculpt could work for you. At the same time, Prara's "gunslinger" shots above, at least in my opinion, work too.

The knock, of course, is that choosing this course means while he looks "ok" pretty much everywhere, her looks perfect just about nowhere. Choose your poison. The selling point for this figures is that they are articulated action figures, so it's all about the versatility. If it's a statue or a PF you choose the perfect expression for the pose, job done. Answer? Three sculpts per figure. Lord knows we're paying enough...

I think what's interesting with this figure is the eyes don't match the furrowed brow, which strangely then works for if the eyes are shadowed, as the sculpt then gives off a more intense look. But that's also what gives him the almost worried look when both the eyes and brow are shown together in clear light. Doe eyes and furrowed brow usually equate to confused or worried.

I've wondered why HT don't do limited edition alternative head sculpts so you can get more range to the dynamism to the figures.

A character like Han very much needs this. Same with the Marty McFly figure.

I think what's interesting with this figure is the eyes don't match the furrowed brow, which strangely then works for if the eyes are shadowed, as the sculpt then gives off a more intense look. But that's also what gives him the almost worried look when both the eyes and brow are shown together in clear light. Doe eyes and furrowed brow usually equate to confused or worried.

You know, that is a REALLY good point and could explain why the reviews are so passionately mixed on this figure.

The mismatch you describe is both aesthetically and conceptually confusing to the eye if you don't take steps to "light and shadow" your way out of it. The sculpt may look just like Ford feature for feature, but when the overall expression hits you with the brow and the eyes together, it can be subtlety dizzying or at least unsatisfying on some level. Your brain may just shortcut at that point to "I don't like the sculpt", or "that's not Ford". Might be Ford to a T, but the weirdness of that mismatch can be jarring enough to not like the sculpt even if you can't quite explain why.

Very nice! Case and point from above. When you remove the mismatch by shading the glassy eyes, Ford comes peeking out...

I've wondered why HT don't do limited edition alternative head sculpts so you can get more range to the dynamism to the figures.

A character like Han very much needs this. Same with the Marty McFly figure.

That is actually a TREMENDOUS idea! Not exactly sure how much I'd pay for an additional sculpt or how much HT would attempt to charge, but the concept could be molded into a win/win fairly easily in my view. Productions cost would be significantly lower of a sculpt only release as opposed to an entire new figure, and they could capitalize on this by splitting the difference in some way. The alternate(s) could be produced at the same time as the main sculpt so artists would not have to be brought in a second time if they plan correctly. I think this could be a thing.

So Han arrived today. As some of you will recall, I decided to do a full '77 line-up just to see, and knowing myself I may not stick with it as I tend not to be completist.

ANYWAY. Mixed feelings about this figure. A little underwhelming for the price, but like Obi Wan, that's the source material. It's just a dude in a vest, like a dude in a brown robe.

The sculpt is interesting to me. Some people HATE it, and I see a couple of issues with it, but I also see a large amount of Ford-as-Solo here. Haven't compared it to screen-grabs yet, but like most 1/6, I imagine some angles will work and others won't. It's possible my opinion could lower.

The synergistic effect is strong with this line. I have Obi Wan, Chewbacca and Han standing next to each other and they do reinforce each other.

The boots are futzable and don't bug me too much. Wrist joints are a little clunky but whatever. Not sure how I feel about the blaster.

These are obviously amongst the best mass-produced Star Wars action figures ever made. I find myself casting an extra critical eye because the cost is considerable, especially given the Canadian dollar. That and collecting the line-up goes against my ingrained collection habits (reference, minimal, bla bla bla) -- still...this is an experience. A nerdy one.

Objectively speaking, I do think Hot Toys rushed this stuff out, but can't imagine them being superseded by anything any time soon. At least nothing outside of the custom realm.

got these in today. just dont tell my wife how much I paid, lol. Really great figures, for some reason I didnt think they would be boxed together, but in the inside art is really well done.
IMG_3190.jpg

If I had the figure, which I will at some point, I think I would probably go with the gloved hands. He was bare handed the majority of the time, but the gloved hands to me for some reason give him more of a "smuggler Han" look.

If I had the figure, which I will at some point, I think I would probably go with the gloved hands. He was bare handed the majority of the time, but the gloved hands to me for some reason give him more of a "smuggler Han" look.

A gunner station environment would be cool because of the gloves and headset accessory.

For those who inquired, I have sold 8 slots of my Death Star Diorama 1/6 build kit, only 2 slots left

I don't want to rush anyone, but could I need to know if you want to reserve a slot some time this weekend I need to order materials and machine time on monday. Thanks!

Also, I now offer airbrush service for all parts that need to be painted for an additional fee

Back