1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I used some DID ones on my Empire Han, they looked good and hold up well.
How old are they. Because i bought 2 pairs of DID years ago to mod the Dragonpanzer cops, the one i used leaving flakes on the floor, the one i kept as spare cracked and i end up washing the pleather off. i dont know if they improved the material but pleather never last.

I can't really remember which figure they're from, it was a recent issue, not the old body. I went and looked at them when I saw your reply in the email and they still look fine.

Some minor tuneups. My phone camera sucks.
IMG_20231021_001859.jpg

Yeah even doing the "maintenance" with various protective products (303) I haven't been 100% sure will prevent the death of HT pleather.

And it does happen to DID boots too - I've had a few of those go. DID offers "genuine leather" boots now on most of tehir figs but I think that's about as "genuine" as the Present Toys Indy jacket... sold as "genuine" but clearly not.

And some of that type of 303 type maintenance is a huge issue because you have to pull things like boots and belts off, upsetting poses and exposing the pleather to some stress and handling it wouldn't normally have, and also potentially getting the 303 on clothing, headsculpts etc with unknown outcomes. And some people say you're supposed to do that process a few times a year which is just crazy.

It's ultimately the crap pleather HT uses because my Kenner Han 12" has a pleather vest that is still intact after 40+ years.
genuine leather usually means scrapped leather powder mixed with glue and other synthetic material to form a leather like layer laid onto a fabric backing, which is worse than 100% synthetic as the leather powder dont hold together as well as synthetic causing cracks and flakes sooner like the cheap walmart genuine leather belts and wallets.

also kenner pleather is probably crappy looking and thicker, so they are more durable but less realistic. just like motorcycle seats are durable but plastic looking.

i heard someone here talk about applying a layer or 2 angelus finisher as a hard sealant as opposed to the soft sealant like aerospace 303. if you coat the inner side of the boots it might even work better.

i have yet bough new figures so you guys might want to experiment on this. not as good as real leather replacement but beats repainting with angelus paint.

The problem I have with leaving stuff in place when you do the 303 is that in some cases you can only really reach maybe 80-90% of the pleather surface - for example parts of a belt or jacket that are folded under, the inner lip of boots etc - so those areas that don't receive direct application of the 303 so can still potentially fail.

I did several Indy jackets recently and there were a lot of areas on the jackets that were folded in on itself - underside of collars and tabs, deep jacket pleats, seams folded inward (ie where zippers go) - and you really would have missed a good 15% of the pleather surface if you didn't take it off the fig, and crumbling in these areas is probably as fatal to the jacket as a visible surface crack.

It's a staggeringly frustrating thing that these $250+ items have parts that in some cases only last 5-10 years, and if you're talking a character that has a lot of leather on their outfit, you're in trouble.

And I guess the 303 question (I've done some, but I have something like 150 figs all up and maybe 1/2 have at least some pleather parts) is still an open one - just not sure that anyone has used it long enough for us to really understand if side-by-side a person who used it kept the pleather intact and the person who didn't had it fail.

Bottom line for me is that I just don't think its possible in the real world for me to coat probably upwards of 300 individual pleather items of varying sizes, many partly hidden under coats and other stuff every 6 months or so, which is what's necessary. It's just countless hours of stressful, joyless work that has to be done over and over (303 would be awesome if it was a "one and done" process.)
if you got them brand new just remove all parts and apply them to ensure full coverage. i just mentioned angelus sealer which only needs done once, then you can just apply the 303 or hyper dressing once a year or so without removing anything.

For anyone needing a new set of boots for their ANH Han, I just got the HT Grand Inquisitor boots parted out, and they match up pretty perfectly to the original boots this figure came with. They’re the proper height and the ankle pegs are the same length as well, but have some foam wrapped around them. I definitely recommend if your boots have cracked. The only other set from HT I can think of that may match up for Han would be the ones with Admiral Thrawn, though that’s a couple years away at this point.

It’s nice having this figure looking brand new again. Now just the wait for Waruna’s sculpt whenever those are ready to upgrade from the Jnix sculpt I have

Last edited:
I seriously want a Han in my collection so bad!

Honestly what is the issue? They did the new Indy, is it a Star Wars licensing thing?

This Han is a lot in the after market…

For anyone needing a new set of boots for their ANH Han, I just got the HT Grand Inquisitor boots parted out, and they match up pretty perfectly to the original boots this figure came with. They’re the proper height and the ankle pegs are the same length as well, but have some foam wrapped around them. I definitely recommend if your boots have cracked. The only other set from HT I can think of that may match up for Han would be the ones with Admiral Thrawn, though that’s a couple years away at this point.

It’s nice having this figure looking brand new again. Now just the wait for Waruna’s sculpt whenever those are ready to upgrade from the Jnix sculpt I have
Any pics you can share?

Thanks!

Hopefully they last more than 5 years unlike so much of this junk HT pleather. You wonder at these prices why boots couldn't be real leather.

I always scratch my head at how the jnix photographs. In-hand it just oozes a living, breathing ANH HF like no other sculpt in my time in 1/6 has ever done. It has attitude, killer ANH-specific likeness (noticeably different to ESB and ROTJ) and even the hair sculpt - often a weakness in HT heads and very tricky to nail with OT Han - looks spot-on.

Yet in pics it nearly always looks a little awkward or a bit off, slightly goofy, and when jnix used the exact same sculpt for ESB and Indy heads it just looked bad, even including the face sculpt. Just one of the many mysteries of the 1/6 scale.

I will say though that there were a couple of runs of the ANH Jnix Han head and the V2 paint looked to me to be noticeably inferior to V1 and I always wondered if the V2 casts got ever-so-slightly distorted .

That Waruna sculpt is slightly drab/unexciting and no-frills in terms of expression/edge but looks to be a nice solid likeness and has the potential to be a near-HT-level Han. Seems more ESB than ANH to me in look - though maybe that's the intention. :lol How much was it all-up including paint/shipping? It's the one issue around custom sculpts: the cast+shipping+shipping+paint+shipping issue.

In theory there's the ever-present danger of a HT ESB Han, though it will ship in 2033, and as has been discussed ad-nauseum, it's looking increasingly like the HT "teased" Bespin Han will never see light of day.

I don't know what people see in the Jnix. Looks like Will Ferrell.
I’m no photographer so I wouldn’t take my pics as a metric of what the Jnix sculpt looks like in hand. Unfortunately, the pics look nothing like what I see in-hand which is typically why I don’t post pics :lol I don’t do any of these things justice. My pics will always do a disservice to even the most praised headsculpts/figures/statues

Last edited:
Congrats on the new sculpt, Gipetto! :rock And thanks for the comparison.

I feel like the Jnix basically captures Ford pulling one of these expressions, which seemed common in ANH but isn't really Ford's neutral or resting face.

43A87EC8-A955-4882-818B-7E08AB027368.png

I always scratch my head at how the jnix photographs. In-hand it just oozes a living, breathing ANH HF like no other sculpt in my time in 1/6 has ever done. It has attitude, killer ANH-specific likeness (noticeably different to ESB and ROTJ) and even the hair sculpt - often a weakness in HT heads and very tricky to nail with OT Han - looks spot-on.

Yet in pics it nearly always looks a little awkward or a bit off, slightly goofy, and when jnix used the exact same sculpt for ESB and Indy heads it just looked bad, even including the face sculpt. Just one of the many mysteries of the 1/6 scale.

I will say though that there were a couple of runs of the ANH Jnix Han head and the V2 paint looked to me to be noticeably inferior to V1 and I always wondered if the V2 casts got ever-so-slightly distorted .
Agreed.
IMG_6231.jpeg

Back