1/6 Hot Toys MMS 261-Star Wars: Episode IV-Han Solo 1/6th Scale Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understand why anyone would put anything on a payment plan, especially one that has a NRD. Just dumb to throw away money like that after you cancel.

Why not just pre order (they don't charge the full amount until its in there warehouse) and take the money out every month yourself and put it in a jar? If you decide you dont want it, you just grab the money from the jar and don't lose any. If you decide you want it, you have the money already saved up.

If it has the NRD to start with then they don't lose anymore when it's on Flexpay. So you lose the same NRD amount whether you order on flex or not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, I was 7 payments in, as well (8th and last to be Aug 25th), so I lost my $48.00 NRD but it takes the place of any flex penalties, thankfully. Still not great but I paid it long ago, now, so I just try to ignore it. :/

Still, in your case at least these will be going on display right away. Mine would be looked at once, boxed-up and thrown into the basement for storage until all our renos are done (which we're doing bit by bit over time), so just thinking about it, it didn't make sense to have these in storage when there's a very real possibility of a better iteration on pre-order within the next two years or so (which would fit with our reno timeline). If I were ready to display them now there is a much better chance that I'd have kept the order. I also think once on display a lot of the nitpicks will disappear. No matter what it's still a cool release.

Good luck with your reno! I'd love to be doing one, it's sorely needed in our place. My figures are displayed in my office, but I'd much prefer to have them at home. We have blown all our money on holidays, which I don't regret, but it'd be nice to be able to take holidays and work on the house as well. My collecting is pretty much done after these Star Wars releases, so I didn't see the point in holding out for future releases. I agree that once on display a lot of the nitpicks will disappear - hi-res pics tend to amplify the errors, so hopefully Han's good angles are easy to hit.

I never understand why anyone would put anything on a payment plan, especially one that has a NRD. Just dumb to throw away money like that after you cancel.

Why not just pre order (they don't charge the full amount until its in there warehouse) and take the money out every month yourself and put it in a jar? If you decide you dont want it, you just grab the money from the jar and don't lose any. If you decide you want it, you have the money already saved up.

I've tried common sense and discipline, but it's much easier to outsource it :)

Han Solo is my favourite movie character of all time but even then I never had the urge to purchase this at time of pre-order. Now that we have seen production images I still do not have the urge to purchase. I think the two main reasons are price point in Canadian funds for a very basic looking figure.

Well said, Lejuan, that about sums up my situation. The pair are good, but just not close enough for me to happily spend $600+ CAD and potentially be selling them off before they're ever displayed. I'm confident we will eventually get a better ESB version and if not, I don't think this set will ever be difficult to obtain.

The current exchange rate is rapacious and gives one pause; I dream of the good old days of parity! As for difficult to obtain down the line...I got into this stuff three years ago and there is very little that can't still be had, even releases from many years ago. If one is patient, it can even be had without a punitive aftermarket price but the latter is really all you're risking in holding off. Sometimes the gamble's worth it.

And like yourself, I've been rebuilding and renovating for the past two years. It's exhausting and financially intensive. There are just a couple of exterior and interior projects left between now and 2016 and we're taking a break from that, too.

I do think this Han will look better in-hand just like DX07; if I really wanted a Han I'd buy this right now without hesitation, but Chewbacca is more problematic.

Well i thought i would nitpick something different for once since we have all said our dues about everything else. That shirt is too white, it should be more a cream or tan color.

The current exchange rate is rapacious and gives one pause; I dream of the good old days of parity! As for difficult to obtain down the line...I got into this stuff three years ago and there is very little that can't still be had, even releases from many years ago. If one is patient, it can even be had without a punitive aftermarket price but the latter is really all you're risking in holding off. Sometimes the gamble's worth it.
:goodpost: Truth, in the past year I've obtained the Luke Bespin set, Tama 3PO, and a Tusken Raider, all new and at retail--or below in the case of the Tama. Lots of patience and checking out the marketplace for good deals. That said, I just coughed up a big chunk of change over retail for a 1:1 lightsaber prop...sometimes patience and will power run expensively thin. I used lots of rationalization to feel like I wasn't overspending too much though. :slap

:goodpost: Truth, in the past year I've obtained the Luke Bespin set, Tama 3PO, and a Tusken Raider, all new and at retail--or below in the case of the Tama. Lots of patience and checking out the marketplace for good deals. That said, I just coughed up a big chunk of change over retail for a 1:1 lightsaber prop...sometimes patience and will power run expensively thin. I used lots of rationalization to feel like I wasn't overspending too much though. :slap

I sometimes look back and add up what I buy and sell; I've broke even most times, lost a few bucks here and there (usually on shipping), but for three years it hasn't been too bad. I'm down a little bit since I started, but that's entertainment, as they say.

I've overpaid at times for things I wanted then and there, and stumbled across some really lucky deals by just sitting and waiting. Easy come, easy go.

But for those in the long game, listen to Sergiu's and Pixelpiper's advice. Sit back and wait. You don't have to overpay for most things unless you really want to for whatever reason.

The price of these things can double tomorrow and the quality will remain as good or bad as it is today. Sometimes the art is on the mark, other times it's a bit wide of it.

And if they're going to jack the price from $100 for a top end figure to $200 or $300 then the quality of the art better improve. These companies are trying to bill themselves, not as toy companies (Sideshow Toys is now Sideshow Collectables, for example) but "adult collectables" with "stunning accuracy". The art needs to match the rhetoric and asking price. It's really not that difficult to hire a good sculptor, reject a bad sculpt, etc. They need to justify these prices. And so far they are not doing so.

I think Leia is the best sculpt of the three main characters now. New Hope Luke is on the same level as Han, IMO, but it's a great likeness of Tom Cruise. And Chewie looks like crap. Hot Toys is capable of much better, but they blew it on the Star Wars OT humans and Chewie. I think these were rushed into production without the oversight there should have been to ensure proper likenesses. Perhaps to be here when the new film hit.

Sean

A funny thing about perceptions.......I agree Han and Chewie thus far look to be disappointing however, Luke, Ben and Leia prototypes look great IMO. Whether they hold true to production is another story. That said, my overall perception of HT work on the OT line is a solid effort for the most part. I'll be very happy to add them to my collection should they resemble their prototypes.

Yes I'm feeling a bit let down too. Maybe like a lot of people I was thinking this will be a no brainer with Hot Toys coming to the fray with Star Wars. But looks like it's not the case. I remember someone posted their own sculpt of Han. Looked pretty good to me. So it's not an impossible task. Han looks ok now. But like the general consensus the Chewie sculpt is just wrong. Hair is great, but the head sculpt !! Man !!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

I sometimes look back and add up what I buy and sell; I've broke even most times, lost a few bucks here and there (usually on shipping), but for three years it hasn't been too bad. I'm down a little bit since I started, but that's entertainment, as they say.

I've overpaid at times for things I wanted then and there, and stumbled across some really lucky deals by just sitting and waiting. Easy come, easy go.

But for those in the long game, listen to Sergiu's and Pixelpiper's advice. Sit back and wait. You don't have to overpay for most things unless you really want to for whatever reason.

I look at it this way we invest into these collectables through out the years there like stocks. every one knows how that works some times your stock rises and sometimes it takes a hit. and if your stock is high and you sell it you make a pretty good investment as more when you put your money into it. I did that when I sold off my ssc PT collection.

Posting a digital copy of a sculpt is one thing, actually sculpting and painting is something else.

People didn't like the original Han prototype to start with, so why order if you didn't like the original sculpt? Some liked the first sculpt and hated the second and vice versa. So it all comes down to people's own personal viewpoint. You can go into almost every figure thread and you'll find people who like a sculpt and others that hate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back