Hot Toys Iron Man MKIII Construction Version review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
It's Sunday night, and for the last couple months that's meant sixth scale. Tonight I'm checking out the newest release in the Hot Toys diorama series - the Iron Man MKIII Construction Version! While this isn't for everyone, those looking to complete the perfect Stark Lab will love it. You can find the review here:

Review and photos of Iron Man MKIII Construction Diorama by Hot Toys

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

Captain Toy, Michael Crawford's Action Figure and Toy Reviews

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Thanks Michael, I love your reviews and often look to them as an invaluable resource as I consider picking up various figures.

I happen to already have this piece and so I able to say that I think your review again is pretty spot on. I only want to push back a bit on a statement you made in your over all comments. You wrote...

"If you're picking up an Iron Man here, an Iron Man there, with a fairly straight forward display theme, this is probably not going to speak to you. It's really intended for those collectors that have been grabbing up enough Hall of Armor sets and other diorama equipment to pimp out their Stark Labs display.

This isn't a centerpiece item, but rather an add on. It's not for everyone, but it will add some additional realism and depth to your Iron Man set up. One of the coolest displays at last year's SDCC was the full lab, with various extras along with all the suits, and by adding pieces like this, you can have the same set up in your collection."

Perhaps I am the exception and not the rule, but I picked this up without having other lab diorama sets or even other Iron Man figures. I do have the MkIII diecast on preorder and look forward to it shipping soon, and that's the first iron figure I have ever ordered. But when it comes to the Construction Version, I picked this up along with the Tony Stark Arc reactor creation figure with the intention of making them a stand alone set. I think as a pair these two pieces go well together without having to have other previous lab pieces or a complex diorama. I don't think the MKIII Construction Version piece is mostly for completests but rather provides an opportunity to create a simpler stand alone diorama when paired with the most recent Tony Stark figure and I imagine that there are also others who may enjoy this figure all on it's own.

Again, this is only a minor push back to another great review. Keep up the great work, I really appreciate it. Here is a crude cellphone pick of my display.

IMconstruction.jpg

Sweet! Of course, I could argue that you're building a diorama of the lab...you just don't know it yet ;) I think that's an ideal Tony to use with this as well.

Sweet! Of course, I could argue that you're building a diorama of the lab...you just don't know it yet ;) I think that's an ideal Tony to use with this as well.

I'm going to try and resist adding on, but with this hobby you never know :wink1:

Thanks again for your review. :)

Another fan of your reviews here Michael. I do like video reviews for the visuals but I often find myself wishing the reviewers would get to the point. I like your written reviews as they are concise, thought out and pretty thorough. So I can read these then find a short video review just for the visuals!
Keep em coming :)

I've been debating picking this up myself. I've gone back and forth. Do you think this fit will go well with the Tony Stark workshop set or would it make more send with the reactor set?

I've been debating picking this up myself. I've gone back and forth. Do you think this fit will go well with the Tony Stark workshop set or would it make more send with the reactor set?

I guess for movie accuracy, the Arc Reactor set is slightly closer but still the wrong movie. I have it with the workshop set and really like it, and I don't let the timeline discrepancy bother me. I can't post a picture now as I am on my phone but I will tomorrow if you want to see it.
Although I have a MkIII diecast coming, not sure if two MkIIIs in the same display will bug me too much or not...

I always figured he'd have more than one suit of any particular model anyway, particularly in different states of repair/build.

I'd love to see it if you have time. I've got he Mark 3 diecast coming too so I've been debating the construction setup as well.

I guess for movie accuracy, the Arc Reactor set is slightly closer but still the wrong movie. I have it with the workshop set and really like it, and I don't let the timeline discrepancy bother me. I can't post a picture now as I am on my phone but I will tomorrow if you want to see it.
Although I have a MkIII diecast coming, not sure if two MkIIIs in the same display will bug me too much or not...

I always figured he'd have more than one suit of any particular model anyway, particularly in different states of repair/build.

I figured this about IM3 and later but it seemed like the newest suit was always ready just in time for when it was needed, as if he didn't have extra suits available in the earlier movies.

I was also disappointed to find out Hot Toys Recycled the base/top panel from the terminator diorama

Those were the main reasons for why I created the custom Construction Bay and choose Bones for the armor

Thanks man! It was just a quick set up when I got the construction set, it's all boxed up 4500 miles away from me right now. If the 2 MKIIIs does bother me, I may pick up a Bones and attempt a mod. Got that idea from *someone* on here... :hi5:

Your setup looks great, you've convinced me to snag a construction set now. Nice work. :lol

Your setup looks great, you've convinced me to snag a construction set now. Nice work. :lol

Yessss! It's finally me making others spend money and not the other way around!!
But seriously it's a great piece, and as Michael said, a good addition to a diorama. I like how it adds to the Tony Stark sets (either one), and adds some variety to the legions of (complete/finished) HPP figures. I have the mkII AU version to go on a table next to it too. A nice little IM production line!

Need a gantry next.

Damn, back to convincing myself to spend money...

Great review and great pictures everyone!

I have been considering picking this piece up, but I don't currently have a Tony Stark figure to go along with it. Like Jaymas initially stated, I don't necessarily feel that you have to possess other workshop pieces in order to really make this piece pop; it can be a stand alone piece, as long as you have a stand alone Stark figure to go along with it to se it up like he's wrenching on it.

It undoubtedly adds to a construction set and takes it to the next level, but I don't think a full construction set is necessary to make this a cool, nifty addition.

Back