Hot Toys Indiana Jones review, new feature and giveaway!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really dig this Indy but... say what?! Are you serious in saying that people do not pay a huge HT premium for an uncanny, lifelike sculpt? Incredible accessories aside, I would think this aspect is top of the list for 99.9% of collectors. On stuff like Iron Man you could argue the headsculpt is less the focus, but not on characters like Indy.

A stripped down non-DX Indy would probably equate to HT Hans Landa in terms of complexity - he was around $135. That was almost a year ago and prices have gone nuts in that year but how are you computing $200?

The DX's movie-inaccurate muscle body I'm assuming was HT's way of trying to get more value into a DX that only had a single headsculpt but would be unnecessary for a non-DX ROTLA Indy.

you are correct my friend, this is one of the most important aspect to me.. i agree with you.. :hi5:
everytime i see dx indy headsculpt, i think of this guy.. and not harrison ford..

111.jpg

Last edited:
A stripped down non-DX Indy would probably equate to HT Hans Landa in terms of complexity - he was around $135. That was almost a year ago and prices have gone nuts in that year but how are you computing $200?

I think it would have been close to $200.
Lucasfilm licensing, plus its 'sub-licensed' (not sure of term) from Sideshow, right?
Plus its Indiana Jones and Harrison Ford so Hot Toys are definitely going to jack up the price for that in comparison to IB and Hans Landa.

Thanks for the input on the life size function. Using it first with Indy was simply a matter of timing - the guys who developed this contacted me last week about trying it out, and Indy was the first review I'd had time to get it set up for. I think it will be particularly useful for new lines and smaller lines, like the recent Walking Dead, where even with comparison photos, it's tough for people to really conceive the scale.

Is Gruson the final say on 1/6 scale collectible figures. :dunno
No. But it was in response to a false argument that the sculpted likeness isn't coming across in photographs and can only be accurately appreciated and evaluated in person and having done so one would "see the light" and never say a negative thing about this figure again. Which clearly isnt the case with some collectors.

Who cares what others say and why try so hard to refute them?
You like it or you don't.
There are many things to like about the figure but in the end it's Fords likeness or lack there of that makes this worth the price as a whole.

I really dig this Indy but... say what?! Are you serious in saying that people do not pay a huge HT premium for an uncanny, lifelike sculpt? Incredible accessories aside, I would think this aspect is top of the list for 99.9% of collectors. .
I agree with you. I'd rather spend my $200 bucks on a figure with an awesome sculpt with few accessories, then a so-so sculpt with many accessories.

On stuff like Iron Man you could argue the headsculpt is less the focus, but not on characters like Indy..
Even with the Iron man, the HT Mark IV Tony starks headsculpt is just about dead-on. Probably one of the best IMO-up there with Barney Ross, and Blade II, and Joker.

Great review as always, Michael. And yes, that life size photo feature is pretty cool.

I did appreciate how you said that straight out of the box, the sculpt was only 2.5 stars. But with time and posing, you started seeing HF more and more in there. I am still debating whether or not I should buy him, and this statement really gave me something to think about.

Well done review and nearly my exact thoughts on this piece. From the initial announcement and photos, I knew this was not HTs most masterfully done sculpt. IMHO, HT Godfather & T1 are the most accurate depictions.
The more I think about it, the more I think the issue is simply the deep set PERS. Other PERS figures are balls on accurate and flush with the eye socket. Think Bruce Lee. There is a considerable gap in Indy's I mean no disrespect or at all racist with this comment, but it gives his eyes an Asian appearance.

Well done review and nearly my exact thoughts on this piece. From the initial announcement and photos, I knew this was not HTs most masterfully done sculpt. IMHO, HT Godfather & T1 are the most accurate depictions.
The more I think about it, the more I think the issue is simply the deep set PERS. Other PERS figures are balls on accurate and flush with the eye socket. Think Bruce Lee. There is a considerable gap in Indy's I mean no disrespect or at all racist with this comment, but it gives his eyes an Asian appearance.

The HT Bruce Lee PERS is quite good but the Enterbay GoD sculpt with PERS has even more deep set eyes than the Indy ...and it helps ruin that sculpt as well IMO

Back