Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually agree to some extent on someone wanting to just do something of their own making, not relying on nostalgia or images of the past to try and curry favour with some viewers instead of just putting something out there as it's own thing. I suppose I felt that having Leia and Tarkin make an appearance worked due to the proximity of RO to ANH. We'd already had Tarkin appear at the end of ROTS overseeing the Death Star's construction so not having him anywhere near RO to then be in charge of the DS just an hour or so later would have felt like they were making too much of a conscious effort to NOT have him there. In that sense it worked for me although CG people still don't fit seamlessly (he still worked better than weird prosthetic Tarkin with sunken cheeks from ROTS though).

Just my twopenneth
Yeah, it certainly made thematic sense for those characters to be involved. If it were a book, there would be no debate about it. But there's a different element to it when you've got filmed actors involved.

Yeah, it certainly made thematic sense for those characters to be involved. If it were a book, there would be no debate about it. But there's a different element to it when you've got filmed actors involved.

I think Tarkin was essential due to the storyline timing but they could've ended the movie 10 seconds earlier and left out Leia. I felt like the Tarkin was much more believable and that the Leia felt...gratuitous...

I think Tarkin was essential due to the storyline timing but they could've ended the movie 10 seconds earlier and left out Leia. I felt like the Tarkin was much more believable and that the Leia felt...gratuitous...

Rewatching it on tv Tarkin looks better than in the cinema but totally concur ref leia. Ending it with her stood with her back would have been enough

Here he is!
4a3227e5e603e788af33f3f130bd2f47.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he does come with the "head of the dinner table" Dad-chair after all.:yess:

Can't wait for closer pics of this one.

That's definitely ANH Tarkin. The base is consistent with the other ANH bases. And he comes complete with a chair. Nice accessory!

I think it would have been far better to have these folks off-camera to the extent possible. To me, it's cheesy and weird to bring old or dead people back as CG characters. I felt this way about Brando in Superman Returns, and feel this way about Leia and Tarkin. BUT, I also recognize that this really resonated with a lot of Star Wars fans for the reason that Robianco and Khev at times lay it out. And at the end of the day, I think those are the kinds of fans that Kennedy et al. are really interested in appeasing. So, good move. If I were a producer, I might do the same thing. But if I were a filmmaker, with an interest in putting together something that was classy and well executed, without overt concern for the appeal to nostalgia and fan-boyism, I would not have wanted to do this, or a number of other things that happened in this film.

Having said all that, it's possible HT wouldn't have considered Tarkin if not for his video game incarnation showing up in Rogue One. So, some good can come from this even for fans of only the original films.

I think Tarkin in R1 was necessary. Sure with limited time being that he's CGI'd, but I think it was necessary to show him. Leia I don't think was necessary to show her face, but I think they did it just for excitement and nostalgia.

And I definitely agree about Tarkin. I think his role in R1 may have pushed HT over the edge to do his figure. Who knows if they would have done it had he not had a role in R1?

I can't wait to see more photos, keep them coming please! [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Damn I going to be spending a lot of money!! Looks like ROTJ Vader and ROTJ stormtrooper there as well :yess::yess:

Back