Hot Toys Grand Moff Tarkin

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good review... but what is the improvement on the new Vader helmet? You covered what's not corrected but what IS corrected?

Well pretty much everything else. If you look how close it looks to my custom vader which took 8 hours of work, I think it's a major step up

Got mine yesterday. Wow what a figure! The head sculpt is beyond superb. Can't believe that after all these years I finally have Vader and Tarkin stood next to each other on my shelf! :yess::yess::yess:

Every picture I see of the new Vader his robes and cape are dragging on the floor way too much. What's up with that? He's on the taller RO body but with the "shorter" robes and cape from the original shorter release -- so they should be shorter, right?
An Ebay seller has this vader parted out...looks like they've reused the original ANH body..
View attachment 394830
Well pretty much everything else. If you look how close it looks to my custom vader which took 8 hours of work, I think it's a major step up
I don't have this new vader in hand...but going from the pics of the parted out helmet,i wouldn't call it a major step up...both helmet's are more or less identical...with the same inaccurate paint issues...View attachment 394832

The tubing that runs towards the tusks should be grey and not black...on both sides of the mask...and the left side of the mouth vent should be grey and not black...
And the inner sockets around the eye lens should be black and not grey..
View attachment 394833

To me this Vader has more problems than the original release. I mean really, how do they get the lightsaber wrong on this considering the original ANH version is correct. Why didn't they just reuse that? Makes no sense. They took the saber and belt (with silver dot) from the upcoming ESB Vader and stuck it on this. Helmet issues and paint apps are one thing being carried over from the original, but changing accessories to the wrong ones is confusing.

An Ebay seller has this vader parted out...looks like they've reused the original ANH body..
View attachment 394830
I don't have this new vader in hand...but going from the pics of the parted out helmet,i wouldn't call it a major step up...both helmet's are more or less identical...with the same inaccurate paint issues...View attachment 394832

The tubing that runs towards the tusks should be grey and not black...on both sides of the mask...and the left side of the mouth vent should be grey and not black...
And the inner sockets around the eye lens should be black and not grey..
View attachment 394833

I have the Tarkin Vader....I don't own the others so I can't provide you with detailed feedback but I can say it looks good!! Vader is a HT Specimen!!

Thanks, matrix -- that's all good info to know.

I'm still confused by the cape/robe length -- why did HT make it longer? Must have used the taller RO tailoring measurements.

To me this Vader has more problems than the original release. I mean really, how do they get the lightsaber wrong on this considering the original ANH version is correct. Why didn't they just reuse that? Makes no sense. They took the saber and belt (with silver dot) from the upcoming ESB Vader and stuck it on this. Helmet issues and paint apps are one thing being carried over from the original, but changing accessories to the wrong ones is confusing.

The light saber is a strange one...the R1 vader has TESB saber as well...just lazy homework from HT

The R1 cape is actually a tad shorter than the ANH one...and looks better

Really? I have an R1 set of robe/cape but never put it on.

Strange that the taller R1 Vader would have the shorter cape/robe. I'm fully confused.

All I know is that I have the original ANH Vader with a set of R1 gloves, robe and cape.

Strange that the taller R1 Vader would have the shorter cape/robe. I'm fully confused.

All I know is that I have the original ANH Vader with a set of R1 gloves, robe and cape.

You should try out the R1 cape...it looks/hangs a lot better than the bulky ANH version

You should try out the R1 cape...it looks/hangs a lot better than the bulky ANH version

Definitely. The material on both the R1 robe and cape looks superior to the rather flat and stiff ANH robe/cape material. I guess I've been waiting for the 'final futz' until I knew I had all the right ANH parts in hand and could actually finalize my ANH Vader. With ESB Vader up now, I'm pretty confident that HT is done with ANH Vader.

That's one of the reason that it looks great on the ANH Vader, the other is that it creates really nice folds in the back. Put it on already! I just use the cape, not the tunic. Sounds like we have the same Vader--though I'm planning to buy the new boots and see if those fit/work, I think they're more accurate as they have the straps and maybe slimmer shin guards like the Rogue One.

Same body?? Thought they’d use the RO one with more mobility. Unless it’s a different less bulky suit. Og ANH articulation is not as good as the RO.

This is (finally) my first Vader, long overdue. Reading these posts, you guys have me paranoid I'm going to hate it.

Thanks a lot, jerks!

ANH Vader was my second ever figure. I was never happy with it. He is now in a box. I was thoroughly pleased when I got RO Vader. Worthy of dark lord. This one was a pass, but that's more because I am not held to ANH Vader. Anxiously awaiting ESB.

Back