Hot Toys ESB FETT tips tricks and other cool mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just found this thread.

I’m a modder by nature, I know accuracy is often an uphill battle, but Good lord.

I always get excited to see mods, but am immediately overwhelmed when I find out how off base even the nicest of figures can be.

Boba appears to be no different. Let the modding begin....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6be927a0e6ce10341a7bcbe49366989c.jpg
d9dc3738896ee75a3d6df2ad85e48578.jpg

Very nice. What new mods did you do?

Ok, so I’m taking a break from my Sandtroopers for a bit, because it’s getting expensive, and I’m too excited to get to work on Boba.

I’ve begun gathering the parts together for this epic Boba custom.

I have:
• Hot Toys ESB Boba
• Sideshow V1 ESB Boba helmet (for the range finder stalk)
• Sideshow ESB V1 Boba boots
• Marmit gauntlets
• Marmit gloves
• Magnetic wrist joint set (Marmit gloves are hollow inside with no wrist joint sockets)
• Hot Toys Vader body (for body mod)
• Hot Toys older standard body (for body mod)
• Accurate 3D printed shin tools
• Accurate 3D printed chin cup

I still need:
• Medicom body (need arms for body mod)
• a V1 or V2 Sideshow jet pack (haven’t decided how important the articulated missile veins are to me, since they are much larger looking on the figure than what they look like on film)

Let me know if here’s anything else I need.

I’ve begun gathering the parts together for this epic Boba custom.

I have:
• Hot Toys ESB Boba
• Sideshow V1 ESB Boba helmet (for the range finder stalk)
**** I’m using a shortened Marmit stalk with HT rangefinder. Sideshow swap is much easier. It’s a matter of preference.
• Sideshow ESB V1 Boba boots
**** I think HT Boots are more accurate and you’re fine sticking with them.
• Marmit gauntlets
**** Using the Marmit gauntlets, I replaced the Flamethrower and laser with HT parts. Painted accurate Battle Damage.
• Marmit gloves
• Magnetic wrist joint set (Marmit gloves are hollow inside with no wrist joint sockets)
**** If you’ll be using the modern Medicom arms, you can insert wrist pegs from Medi figures (such as Medi Maul) into the Marmit hands. You may want to heat the hands up a bit first. I think if you use magnets, you might have trouble keeping them posed the way you want or holding the gun without them falling off.
• Hot Toys Vader body (for body mod)
• Hot Toys older standard body (for body mod)
**** I did end up going back to a standard inner waist-to-chest connector, rather then my custom extended one. The proportions seem more accurate.
• Accurate 3D printed shin tools
• Accurate 3D printed chin cup
**** Looking forward to seeing these on your figure.

I still need:
• Medicom body (need arms for body mod)
• a V1 or V2 Sideshow jet pack (haven’t decided how important the articulated missile veins are to me, since they are much larger looking on the figure than what they look like on film)
**** I’m using V1 Sideshow jet pack.

Let me know if here’s anything else I need.
****For Fett’s right cloth belt pouch, I’m using the Left cloth belt pouch from the Medicom ESB Fett.
For the Left cloth belt pouch, I’m using the HT Left cloth belt pouch. These accurately portray the different sizes and pouch lid direction.
I wanted to lighten the jumpsuit a bit. I think it makes all of the components look better together. I bleached the jumpsuit for a couple of hours. After I used China Blue die on it, then bleached again in 30-45 minute increments until I had the desired shade. The I weathered all of the clothe parts the better match and dirty it up.
Originally, I had a SSC Clone neck installed (seen on the body picture below), bit went back to the HT Fett neck and peg. I think it sits more naturally. The SSC neck works if you prefer more neck height.
Also...I used a Batman 1966 padded under garment. You could get the same effect if you cut the padded legs off of the Fett padded piece.
1eef1ae677a205b175a431760b07bef0.jpg
951e4cc12b02cb635693cece52f2d00b.jpg
268620a046bc7dddc4f5af1cd3604131.jpg
0e15e3ccb473f15dbdf403184a60fcdc.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for all the awesome feedback, Mark! Incredibly valuable.

I have one question. Can you provide the measurements for the leg modification below the knee?? I want to be sure about the calf length, and the ankle socket lengths.

Thanks!

**** I’m using a shortened Marmit stalk with HT rangefinder. Sideshow swap is much easier. It’s a matter of preference.

**** I think HT Boots are more accurate and you’re fine sticking with them.

**** Using the Marmit gauntlets, I replaced the Flamethrower and laser with HT parts. Painted accurate Battle Damage.

**** If you’ll be using the modern Medicom arms, you can insert wrist pegs from Medi figures (such as Medi Maul) into the Marmit hands. You may want to heat the hands up a bit first. I think if you use magnets, you might have trouble keeping them posed the way you want or holding the gun without them falling off.

**** I did end up going back to a standard inner waist-to-chest connector, rather then my custom extended one. The proportions seem more accurate.

**** Looking forward to seeing these on your figure.

**** I’m using V1 Sideshow jet pack.

****For Fett’s right cloth belt pouch, I’m using the Left cloth belt pouch from the Medicom ESB Fett.
For the right cloth belt pouch, I’m using the HT right cloth belt pouch.
I wanted to lighten the jumpsuit a bit. I think it makes all of the components look better together. I bleached the jumpsuit for a couple of hours. After I used China Blue die on it, then bleached again in 30-45 minute increments until I had the desired shade. The I weathered all of the clothe parts the better match and dirty it up.
Originally, I had a SSC Clone neck installed (seen on the body picture below), bit went back to the HT Fett neck and peg. I think it sits more naturally. The SSC neck works if you prefer more neck height.
Also...I used a Batman 1966 padded under garment. You could get the same effect if you cut the padded legs off of the Fett padded piece.
1eef1ae677a205b175a431760b07bef0.jpg
951e4cc12b02cb635693cece52f2d00b.jpg
268620a046bc7dddc4f5af1cd3604131.jpg
0e15e3ccb473f15dbdf403184a60fcdc.jpg

I like the Marmit sculpts over most HT/SSC stuff, the only issue is that the sculpts are kind of soft.

Luckily the gauntlets in the movie have relatively soft detail too. The hardware on the gauntlets are detailed though, so I’ll be doing the same as Mark and using parts of the HT gauntlets on the Marmit sculpts.

The only issue I have is the darts on the right gauntlet. The HT darts look great, but are too big. My Marmit gauntlets will be delivered today, so I’ll have to see how the darts look on them.

I like the Marmit sculpts over most HT/SSC stuff, the only issue is that the sculpts are kind of soft.

How do the medicom gauntlets compare to the marmit, are they anywhere close to them? I have those at home, but I haven't done my homework yet on the intricacies of his costume.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown McHaley, that's super helpful!

How do the medicom gauntlets compare to the marmit, are they anywhere close to them? I have those at home, but I haven't done my homework yet on the intricacies of his costume.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown McHaley, that's super helpful!

The Medi gauntlets are just a bit smaller and softer in certain details.
I had a plan to dremal off the molded darts on the Marmit gauntlet and add individual ones, but scrapped the idea (for now).

Wow, thanks for all the awesome feedback, Mark! Incredibly valuable.

I have one question. Can you provide the measurements for the leg modification below the knee?? I want to be sure about the calf length, and the ankle socket lengths.

Thanks!

Just FYI: I corrected my specs for the belt pouches in my post above. Here’s the correct info.

“For Fett’s right cloth belt pouch, I’m using the Left cloth belt pouch from the Medicom ESB Fett.
For the Left cloth belt pouch, I’m using the HT Left cloth belt pouch. These accurately portray the different sizes and pouch lid direction.”

I’ll take a calf measurement later.

Yeah, the darts on the gauntlets are a real issue. The Hot Toys darts look great, and have crisp detail, but are way too big. The Medi gauntlet darts are just little blunt details which are just as bad, but in a different way. I can't think of any material that would be that thin and tiny, but still be rigid enough to work with yet still look like metal darts.

The Medi gauntlets are just a bit smaller and softer in certain details.
I had a plan to dremal off the molded darts on the Marmit gauntlet and add individual ones, but scrapped the idea (for now).

Is the right pouch actually smaller? To my eye it just looks like it's folded or attached to the leather belt in such a way that it doesn't hang as low as the other pouch since there's some sort of small box in there.

I do see that the pouches have identically facing closure flaps, which I never noticed before woking on this project. There's always new stuff to discover in SW. just the other day I realized that the speeder bikes must have been intended for the Sarlac pit scene in RotJ. All the design elements point to the sail barge and skiffs, they even have Great White shark heads sculpted into the sides, subliminally suggesting "shark infested waters" to go with the whole pirate motif of the scene.Check it out, I'd bet a million dollars that's the case.

Just FYI: I corrected my specs for the belt pouches in my post above. Here’s the correct info.

“For Fett’s right cloth belt pouch, I’m using the Left cloth belt pouch from the Medicom ESB Fett.
For the Left cloth belt pouch, I’m using the HT Left cloth belt pouch. These accurately portray the different sizes and pouch lid direction.”

I’ll take a calf measurement later.

Hi everyone.
I am sourcing parts to build an ultimate Fett (even though it won't be anywhere as perfect as what you guys are pulling off on this thread...).
I am using HT ESB Boba as base, and from SSC V2 Boba I got the extremely nice backpack (I love those rocket wings). I got the backpack because I have been shown the HT one is too small. I also intend to get SSC V1 Boba's 4 feet, 11 hands (love those gestures and poses) and its base (but to be used with some other figure, and not as a base).

Some questions:

1) I still have to get SSC V2 gauntlets, rifle and pistol (I want to have options wrt the guns and keep the best ones) but I am finding very difficult to source more parts from SSC V2 Boba. I was wondering: is the sculpt/paintjob noticeably better on the V2 wrt V1, at least as to these particular parts I am looking for? Has anybody compared them? Any pics?

2) I have been looking at some pics from the ESB set.

boba_braids_01.jpg
boba_front.jpg
boba_full_front.jpg

It looks as if the jumpsuit was blueish rather than just gray, right? And it seems to be much dirtier as HT ESB Boba's jumpsuit, right? That would mean the the ideal jumpsuit would be SSC V1 Boba's one, which is the bluest and dirtiest of all, right? What do you guys think?
Here a picture comparing HT ESB vs SSC V1. No need to tell which is which!:

ht_esb_vs_ssc_v1.jpg

LMK!
Thanks to all those willing to help!
Best,
m.

Attachments

• boba_braids_01.jpg
    boba_braids_01.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 277
Thanks for the comparison pics that’s very useful.

My biggest issue with this project is the right gauntlet/bracer. Of all the companies that have made a 1/6 scale Boba, not one of them have gotten it right.

Hot Toys = over scaled
Marmit = Very low and soft detail
Sideshow = inaccurate details

Hi everyone.
I am sourcing parts to build an ultimate Fett (even though it won't be anywhere as perfect as what you guys are pulling off on this thread...).
I am using HT ESB Boba as base, and from SSC V2 Boba I got the extremely nice backpack (I love those rocket wings). I got the backpack because I have been shown the HT one is too small. I also intend to get SSC V1 Boba's 4 feet, 11 hands (love those gestures and poses) and its base (but to be used with some other figure, and not as a base).

Some questions:

1) I still have to get SSC V2 gauntlets, rifle and pistol (I want to have options wrt the guns and keep the best ones) but I am finding very difficult to source more parts from SSC V2 Boba. I was wondering: is the sculpt/paintjob noticeably better on the V2 wrt V1, at least as to these particular parts I am looking for? Has anybody compared them? Any pics?

2) I have been looking at some pics from the ESB set.

View attachment 453069
View attachment 453070
View attachment 453071

It looks as if the jumpsuit was blueish rather than just gray, right? And it seems to be much dirtier as HT ESB Boba's jumpsuit, right? That would mean the the ideal jumpsuit would be SSC V1 Boba's one, which is the bluest and dirtiest of all, right? What do you guys think?
Here a picture comparing HT ESB vs SSC V1. No need to tell which is which!:

View attachment 453072

LMK!
Thanks to all those willing to help!
Best,
m.

I've been modding the HT fett for a while to try and get it to look a little more pleasing to my eye. First off i've never liked the helmet and it's just as inaccurate as the SS version...the shape is awful and it's over scaled..color too is off...

So i made a new helmet using the old Marmit and parts from the SS version...then painted and weathered. I also re-painted and weathered the armor to try and get something closer to the original prop...not perfect but i'm happy enough with the results:)DSC_0388.JPG

For those interested here's a breakdown of the modifications...

Marmit helmet reworked to incorporate the SS back plate and ear fittings. SS/HT range finder.
17.jpg

Marmit gauntlets reworked with the SS dart piece added to the right and HT pieces added to the left...painted and weathered.CUSTOMS1.jpg

Wookie scalps reworked using HT and Hasbro with added mohair for the end tassels.
DSC_0043.JPG

Blaster barrel shortened and scope reworked to look more accurate. New leather sling added and tied to look more movie accurate. Repainted the stock and added some weathering. Still need to chrome the barrel end.
CUSTOMS.jpg

nice work matrix. but that`s a little to much effort for me i dont have the knowledge and or the time to put that much work into a figure. i like as it is i`m not a accuracy nut like some folks :wave

Back