Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Order placed with Alter Ego

The price of these figures being what they are, I couldn't justify the purchase without selling some other figures to foot the bill. So with a Batman and Predator figure off in the mail, I just placed my order for Batman and Joker from Alter Ego Comics :)

Same here, cancelled my OC Ex :monkey2

Actually.....:monkey2 not required......89 Bat > BB

Yeah and then the whole cowl would be flimsy ass rubber. No thanks. I mean, think about that for a second, unless you gave it an internal exo-articulation, i.e. rubber over a jointed head (think Arnold/Dastan/Stallone/Royce etc.) with the PERS and mouthpiece it would never work well. It would be a piece of crap and that's the only way it could work. If not, the PERS and mouth wouldn't be functional. I think we'd all prefer a solid, sculpted head as opposed to a baggy, cheap feeling head that could potentially fall apart.

I think it's fine as is. It's the best possible way to achieve the look of the film suit, and they pulled it off. The only thing this hard resin sculpt does is inhibit the collector of having the cape over the shoulders like in some of the publicity shots but even that may still be achievable.

Who the hell wants to pose him turning his head slightly like he did in the movie? That's what his eyes are for.

It's perfect and I mean that too. A rubber head would be terrible this is the best possible way to translate it in 1/6 scale. There is one way to incorporate the slight movement in the neck but that would mean a joint seam like the Takara neck since the bottom scallops of the cowl have to be stationary. People would _____ and moan about a seam of any kind.

Hot Toys did the very best they could do and nothing is lost because of it other than a 3 degree movement in the head.

I've learned to listen to this man :lecture

I think I know what Sam Hamm was saying there, which is the Batman in the '89 film is supposed to be a mysterious character with a mystique about him. You know WHY he's Batman, but nothing more (not the details on how he becomes Batman). And if you deal with that in the '89 film it would completely remove the mystique and the film noir aspects. In other words, that works in BEGINS but would not work in '89 BATMAN.

Nolan's approach to Batman was obviously different from the get-go, so that's not what Hamm was talking about here.

Like I said, neither is right or wrong. They're just different.

It think they both work if you look at each film in this way:

Batman 89 works if you're talking about the golden age of the character in comics. Begins works if you're dealing with the modern age of the character in the comics. The only problem is the murder of Wayne's parents at the hands of the Joker.

Not to go back to an earlier discussion, but I've always loved the origin story in Batman Begins. Nolan is trying to make a comic book character fit into the real world, rather than simply make a movie that takes place in fantasy land. To achieve this he needed to show: This guy is not a fable or a fairy tale or a childish myth. He's a guy that can actually exist, and here's how.

I love Burton's '89 Batman, but nothing about that movie has anything that resembles realism in it. Part of that is the relatively small budget he had to work with, and part of it is that he was going for a very stylized, gothic look. But you basically just have to suspend your disbelief and have faith that Batman/Bruce Wayne has some kind of preternatural abilities.

I disagree on Captain America, actually. Steve Rogers' backstory is what makes the character so likable & root-able. Without that, he's just a dude in a cool suit with special abilities. But because we get to know him before that he's arguably the most likable and heroic of all of the film superheroes.

Dude! Right on, glad to see CA:TFA won you over as well. :hi5:

But you basically just have to suspend your disbelief and have faith that Batman/Bruce Wayne has some kind of preternatural abilities.

Just because the movie doesn't tell us that he trained doesn't mean he didn't.

- Bruce Wayne has an extensive collection of different suits of armor in his Armory room.

- He bought one in Japan.

That, to me is enough evidence to suggest that this Batman traveled the world also.

He also has fitness equipment. Anti-gravity hooks, barbells, weights etc.

Not to go back to an earlier discussion, but I've always loved the origin story in Batman Begins. Nolan is trying to make a comic book character fit into the real world, rather than simply make a movie that takes place in fantasy land. To achieve this he needed to show: This guy is not a fable or a fairy tale or a childish myth. He's a guy that can actually exist, and here's how.

I love Burton's '89 Batman, but nothing about that movie has anything that resembles realism in it. Part of that is the relatively small budget he had to work with, and part of it is that he was going for a very stylized, gothic look. But you basically just have to suspend your disbelief and have faith that Batman/Bruce Wayne has some kind of preternatural abilities.
Agreed. And that's why I love both movies for very different reasons. Although I don't allow my love of Burton's Batman to blind me of its faults.

Although I don't allow my love of Burton's Batman to blind me of its faults.

Every movie has faults. Off the top of my head I can name a few problems with '89 Batman.

- The Gotham location at Pinewood, while an extremely impressive set, is so "small" that during the chase scenes you can see the streets and buildings, specifically the Monarch theater multiple times.

- Footlight Frenzy, the movie playing at the Monarch is showing during the past in Bruce Wayne's childhood flashback and during the present time.

- Some of the animation shots are wonky like Batman's first appearance on top of the rooftop when he hears the mother screaming or when the Joker falls to his death.

And there are others. The Prince music can feel inappropriate and dated at times. But you know what? Who cares? No film is perfect, no THING is perfect. There was an innocence to it in 1989 that has been demolished today because folks tend to get bored, cynical end edgy over time.

The good outweighs the bad. I could go on and on about the subtleties, the score, the visuals, the characterizations, the meanings, the props. Why people prefer to discuss the flaws of something or debate the quality between this and that is beyond me.

It is what it is.

I don't think the Prince songs are really dated, they fit Nicholson's Joker well, i can't imagine a more current style fitting that.

Has anyone noticed that during the initial Axis Chemicals scenes Batman has 2 different cape/cowl styles?

When he hides behind the pipe & backhands the guy walking toward the camera the cape hangs at the top of the shoulder & doesn't have that starburst style cowl he has for this figure.

Just because the movie doesn't tell us that he trained doesn't mean he didn't.

- Bruce Wayne has an extensive collection of different suits of armor in his Armory room.

- He bought one in Japan.

That, to me is enough evidence to suggest that this Batman traveled the world also.

He also has fitness equipment. Anti-gravity hooks, barbells, weights etc.

I agree, there is all of that there. But it feels like it is something thrown in there to convince the viewer that he had lots of world class training...like "really guys, this 5'8" guy could be a world class brawler, I swear...SEE he has the weights and the armor, and the ninja stars and everything that a good fighter would have, it's proof he must be one!"

In Batman Begins, they go beyond showing us props (or a guy doing upside down calisthenics--basically the only scene of Wayne "training" in that film). They show us a guy that can take a sucker punch beating from mob muscle (without the protection of body armor) and get into prison brawls with several men (some bigger than him) and summon the skill and the rage to win (and it is hinted that this happens to him every day.

Now, I already know what some will say... Batman Begins "spoon fed" us the idea that Bruce Wayne had a lot of training and could do better than hold his own in a fight, even without all of the Batman armor and gadgets. Batman '89 is for audiences that don't need every little thing explained to them, right? But the thing is, by having all of those props laying around as "evidence" of his training discipline, without actually showing us that training discipline, they were spoon feeding us the idea of Wayne as a trained fighter...in the most superficial, lazy, "just take our word for it" manner possible.

Every movie has faults. Off the top of my head I can name a few problems with '89 Batman.

- The Gotham location at Pinewood, while an extremely impressive set, is so "small" that during the chase scenes you can see the streets and buildings, specifically the Monarch theater multiple times.

- Footlight Frenzy, the movie playing at the Monarch is showing during the past in Bruce Wayne's childhood flashback and during the present time.

- Some of the animation shots are wonky like Batman's first appearance on top of the rooftop when he hears the mother screaming or when the Joker falls to his death.

And there are others. The Prince music can feel inappropriate and dated at times. But you know what? Who cares? No film is perfect, no THING is perfect. There was an innocence to it in 1989 that has been demolished today because folks tend to get bored, cynical end edgy over time.

The good outweighs the bad. I could go on and on about the subtleties, the score, the visuals, the characterizations, the meanings, the props. Why people prefer to discuss the flaws of something or debate the quality between this and that is beyond me.

It is what it is.

I love Joker's fall to his death, just watched it again and it's still creepy looking, the dated effects work for it, not against it.

Actually, of a million movie deaths out there I find his to be on my top 10, that smart cocky bastard dancing and stomping had no idea what was in store for him.

His face of "oh ____" when clinging to the ladder is classic and when he finally can't hold it anymore, it's just such a powerful death for a baddie.

I also love the foreboding with his hat and jacket hanging on the gargoyle.

before this thread, i didnt want the keaton Bats. after 143 pages, i NEED the keaton bats. hate you guys...:crying

Back