Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batman and Batman Returns are still the best Batman movies out there. Batman Begins of course was great but The Dark Knight was more of an action flick of Nolan than an actual Batman movie.

I rewatched Batman on Friday and it still impresses me with the acting, designs and atmosphere. Tim Burton really understand Batman and the psychology behind the character.

I always say the Nolan movies were great but Nolan had 7 years to write Batman Begins and with movie studios more open to comic book adaptations as well as producers that respects the director. Tim Burton had a year to finish the movie, recast the female lead, kept on being screwed by the producers as well as fan threats. It's just so different.

No doubt the Nicholson rights fees were thru the roof, it wouldn't surprise me if some of those costs were passed on to the Batman figure.

Has anyone else been pulling up the hi-res shots of this figure, looking at it in amazement? I mean, what, three days now and it's still really exciting to me. I just can't get over it. Seemed like yesterday when the chance of this line was slim and it was all a pipe dream.

I know many people feel like this should come with more for the price tag but, to me, this feels like a complete, definitive package. I can't even think of things that it should come with. Yeah, yeah, Indy comes with an idol, Luke a weather vane, some have had cardboard dioramas but with this, the main attraction is the figure itself. I don't think there's one thing in this set where I think, "oh, that's staying in the box". It all has a purpose and there's no clunky, unnecessary extras.

It has this presence to it.There's just something about it, something that clicks. The accessories are top notch, the sculpts are top notch and I'm really impressed with that cape.

I can't even think of the last time I've felt this way about collecting. The Terminators were great and so were other things but this week has just done for me in terms of the hobby. It almost feels like the early TDK days in 2008 when all we had was the great OC TDK, original V1 Joker and Tumbler (the TDK Batman and Batpod came later). Now we have this great trio from a new era as well.

Needless to say, I'm pumped. The only unfortunate thing about these is the fact that that little kid that dreamed of things of this caliber never really got to appreciate or witness it.

Alright, that's enough alcohol for you...:cuckoo:

BB

No doubt the Nicholson rights fees were thru the roof, it wouldn't surprise me if some of those costs were passed on to the Batman figure.

He gets a piece of EVERYTHING from Batman. Not just his likeness. :wink1:

Does. Not. Compute.

I actually agree with what he said. Nolan stripped the characters of a LOT of their comic heritage in favor of a more modern, Bay-type action flick.

I showed my dad a pic of this guy and he couldn't believe this was a figure, he thought it was a still from the movie. Anyway if this figure comes without leakage he will be my Grail, and a Grail to all collections perhaps. Any of u guys think this guy will leak?

I actually agree with what he said. Nolan stripped the characters of a LOT of their comic heritage in favor of a more modern, Bay-type action flick.

I disagree completely on Bay. Bay films lack any depth whatsoever, and are all explosions and cheap eye candy tricks. Dark Knight was the most "thinker" movie I've ever seen in the super hero genre. It is that reason why I hold it in my top 10 movies list, not for the action. It has several well developed, well executed themes. It was a lot more than an action flick. He achieved that by stripping away some of the hoaky comic book elements, and I think the franchise has benefited a lot from that. It was the way these themes could be taken seriously, and coupled with Iron Man, is to thank for the popularity of these movies today.

If this wasn't posted with the intention of getting a reaction, then I don't know what post on this forum was :lol

I agree that Nolan took his own approach that only took bits and pieces from the comics. Having said that, Burton did as well (comic Bruce Wayne was never like Michael Keaton's Wayne). But I think you'd have to squint real hard from a long ways off to see any similarities between anything Bay has done and anything Nolan has done. And that applies to the action sequences as well as, well, everything else.

I disagree completely on Bay. Bay films lack any depth whatsoever, and are all explosions and cheap eye candy tricks. Dark Knight was the most "thinker" movie I've ever seen in the super hero genre. It is that reason why I hold it in my top 10 movies list, not for the action. It has several well developed, well executed themes. It was a lot more than an action flick. He achieved that by stripping away some of the hoaky comic book elements, and I think the franchise has benefited a lot from that. It was the way these themes could be taken seriously, and coupled with Iron Man, is to thank for the popularity of these movies today.

If this wasn't posted with the intention of getting a reaction, then I don't know what post on this forum was :lol

I agree that Nolan took his own approach that only took bits and pieces from the comics. Having said that, Burton did as well (comic Bruce Wayne was never like Michael Keaton's Wayne). But I think you'd have to squint real hard from a long ways off to see any similarities between anything Bay has done and anything Nolan has done. And that applies to the action sequences as well as, well, everything else.

If you two had to do any "thinking" while watching Nolan's Batman films, then I feel bad for the calories you both burned doing so. :lol

I'm a little surprised that you think the Batmobile looked flimsy. I know the prop was a fiberglass shell on a stretched chevy chassis, but if I had to describe that car's appearance in the movie, it would be a canon on wheels. Out of all the movie Batmobiles, even including the Tumbler, the 89 version most seems like it was carved out of a solid block of metal. If anything, it was a little stiff.

It still looks plastic to me. It may just be a technology and special effects problem of movies from that era ... may have been the best they can do. I think its mostly the wings on the back. The explosion in Returns doesn't help. The problem is certainly clearer on the Forever Batmobile -- which is so flimsy it visibly rattles when it is driven.

Tim Burton is a great visionary but many of his movies lack great stories and emotion. I was bored silly when Batman came out and I thought Return's was terrible at the time. I have since grown to appreciate both. Without the visual's/ atmosphere and wacky character's though......they are average at best, and this can be said about almost all of his films.

I agree. Burton's movies seem to be made with a look in mind, but not a story to tell. This is particularly true of Returns. Burton spent a lot of time on the look, and too little on the story.

Also, I see what you are saying about the soundstages, and the small feeling size. It's kind of hard to convince the audience that it is a huge city, when the same central plaza keeps coming up in scenes, be it a lost family about to get mugged, a Batmobile chase scene with Joker goon cars and the cops, a mime on mob hit, a mayor's press conference, a parade and Batwing crash, etc...

I kinda had the same feeling of being closed-in watching Batman Begins' Gotham scenes too (except for the first Batmobile chase). I'm glad Nolan took to filming TDK and TDKR on real locations and off of studio set pieces a lot more.

Burton's Gotham is really small, even in comparison to other movies of the era, or with similar material (for instance, Donner's Superman). It is small to the extent that you can see where the streets curve out of sight because the soundstage is ending.

Even with the closed-in Begins scenes, it felt like a city instead of a soundstage -- it just felt like a more closed-in part of the city (the Narrows). Even vertically, Nolan's Gotham is more sweeping ... Bale coming in from the sky is a completely different feel than Keaton dropping off of a roof onto the pavement.

I like Burton's Batman -- but it wasn't really until Nolan's came around that I noticed some of the bigger shortcomings.

SnakeDoc

:exactly: I enjoyed both but I prefer the depth of Nolan's characters.

All of Jokers plans in TDK were all really well thought out and planned...I really dug all of the back stabbing and planning right in the beginning...it instantly set up a criminal mastermind feel for the rest of the movie...I really liked that.

He gets a piece of EVERYTHING from Batman. Not just his likeness. :wink1:

i tried to stay out of this constant bickering/debate between burton fans and nolan fans. it ALWAYS ends up ugly and eventually leads to either side trolling one another. but THIS got me scratching my head.

dude, please be more specific. are you inferring that burton's movies are closer to the comic heritage/source material? it's damned evident you show NO love whatsoever for the nolan movies due to it 'being stripped of their comic heritage...or just being so popular" and just because it's so popular, you hate it.

but i am curious to hear your reasoning behind what you said or the exact meaning.

Back