Hot Toys DX Bespin Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the email yeterday with the pricing for this. I chuckled at the cost. Limited to 20 units I think it said?

I wasn't feeling a great deal of positivity about this figure before I saw the price anyway. The head looks off... that may be the paint app rather than the sculpt but it's really not working any better than the HT offering for me. Tailoring looks well done but the fit of the clothes looks off and they look far too clean. Best thing about it is the leatherwork for the belt as well as the weapons.

For something that's the same price as SSC Jabba, SSC ROTJ Deluxe Luke, HT ESB Vader, HT Bespin Leia, The Emperor and two Royal Guards combined, I'm thinking I could find better places to put my money.

$2,300 for a 1/6 scale figure? Seriously?

Even if it's the best 1/6 scale figure in the history of 1/6 scale figures, that's a thing?

I love the sculpt, but I don't $2,300 love it.

And as others have said, the fit is off on the uniform. The leatherwork is beautiful though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Looks good for me..

314dcf5c336b122944a1361dfbc78a47.jpg

It looks good there and in the shots from January, but these new shots don’t look nearly as good for whatever reason.

I have a lot of great customs, from some of the best artists, most of which don't approach $2300.

It's a decent sculpt, but the clothes don't look fitted well and the construction looks a little sloppy.

Would have thought about picking up a sculpt but not a full figure for that price.

Yeah, the fit is honestly pretty bad for a $2300 figure. For $2300, the figure would need to be 100% perfect and this obviously is not. Even at $1000, this would feel pricey, but more than double that is beyond insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks good there and in the shots from January, but these new shots don’t look nearly as good for whatever reason.

Yeah, the fit is honestly pretty bad for a $2300 figure. For $2300, the figure would need to be 100% perfect and this obviously is not. Even at $1000, this would feel pricey, but more than double that is beyond insane.

Yeah probably the lighting and the paint change the sculpt. But I think it will be improved.

For $2300 we got other accessories like magnetic dio stand (no crotch grabber needed) with light up dio base. It comes with pretty neat accessories plus robbie jones is involved in this project. So the accessories will be pretty insane. Again I know the price pretty high but it’s tempting definitely, at the end I just need one Luke in my detolf [emoji23]

I can understand if most people think $2300 is an insane price. I also think that $2300 is really a lot of money. However we have to understand that this is custom figure with edition size of 20 pcs. It's not like our HT figures which usually produced up to thousands of figures per character.

Companies like Sideshow, HT, Prime1, etc. pay professional sculptor $3k-10k for the master sculpt.
Professional 1/6 tailors charges $2k-3k for sample outfit.
This Highground people claim that all 20 Luke headsculpts are painted by Yelim. Yelim's fee is $250/sculpt.

As we all know, the higher the quantity produced, the cheaper it gets and vice versa. HT made thousands of DX07 Luke figure, Highground only make 20 figures. As simple as that...

So is it worth the price? Well everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I genuinely think that this is the best looking Luke in 1/6 form I've seen so far. It's ok if people don't agree with me.

I honestly think the recent Inigo sculpt got it a bit closer, except for the mouth being too low. Not sure why sculptors can get the individual features right, but not space everything correctly so that it actually looks like Mark Hamill.

I honestly think the recent Inigo sculpt got it a bit closer, except for the mouth being too low. Not sure why sculptors can get the individual features right, but not space everything correctly so that it actually looks like Mark Hamill.

Very difficult face to captured, because his face changes in every angles [emoji23].

But again this Highground product get more closer than anyone IMO.

d3b1dc7d4407512ae7329fc377ed734c.jpg

I think it really depends on the lighting to really bring out the likeness.

In all fairness, sculpt looks a lot better there^ still not 100%, but miles from the first photo imo.

I don't doubt a lot of artist hours are going into this piece to get it to a $2,300 set, but while I'm seeing quality, to my eye too much is off to make that worth it. Like what was said earlier. If I'm paying that much I'm not looking to get the "closest to perfect". I'm looking for undeniably Mark Hamill. Never need another figure again. Accept no substitutes.

Inigo is strange to me. When he’s finished computer sculpting the sculpt looks incredible and near perfect but every time the casts are made there is significant narrowing and shrinkage of the head throwing it completely off. I’ve owned a couple inigos but sold them off cause I couldn’t get over the tiny narrow head look

Very difficult face to captured, because his face changes in every angles [emoji23].

But again this Highground product get more closer than anyone IMO.

d3b1dc7d4407512ae7329fc377ed734c.jpg

I think it really depends on the lighting to really bring out the likeness.

Wasn't this photo pointed out to be a 1/4 version? The hands are tiny compared to the head. Is the one posted of the figure a 1/4 figure or a 1/6 figure?

Inigo is strange to me. When he’s finished computer sculpting the sculpt looks incredible and near perfect but every time the casts are made there is significant narrowing and shrinkage of the head throwing it completely off. I’ve owned a couple inigos but sold them off cause I couldn’t get over the tiny narrow head look

Yeah I've definitely noticed that narrowness. I got his Deckard sculpt and was able to heat it up and reshape it slightly, but it's still an issue. And Sean Dabbs is another one who does these amazing renders, only for the final sculpt to come out looking a bit off or flat somehow.

My only practical experience is in the jewellery industry.

1. Make a 3D model
2. 3D print (in a special polymer for jewellery)
3. Create a plaster mold around it; fire it in a kiln to harden the plaster and burn out the polymer model — specific polymer that leaves no ash behind.
4. Inject with molten metal.
5. Finish/polish.
6. Create a rubber mold if desired for production by using this master model. Then you can inject it with wax.
7. Repeat steps 3-5

We’re taught to account for 2% shrinkage rate during casting when creating the original 3D model, amongst other things. But these are different materials so I don’t know if it applies.

Wasn't this photo pointed out to be a 1/4 version? The hands are tiny compared to the head. Is the one posted of the figure a 1/4 figure or a 1/6 figure?

I think from the beginning it’s a 1/6 figure, hands so tiny because I think it’s a woman hands. I’m sure that’s Yelim Choi hands.

I can understand if most people think $2300 is an insane price. I also think that $2300 is really a lot of money. However we have to understand that this is custom figure with edition size of 20 pcs. It's not like our HT figures which usually produced up to thousands of figures per character.

Companies like Sideshow, HT, Prime1, etc. pay professional sculptor $3k-10k for the master sculpt.
Professional 1/6 tailors charges $2k-3k for sample outfit.
This Highground people claim that all 20 Luke headsculpts are painted by Yelim. Yelim's fee is $250/sculpt.

As we all know, the higher the quantity produced, the cheaper it gets and vice versa. HT made thousands of DX07 Luke figure, Highground only make 20 figures. As simple as that...

So is it worth the price? Well everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I genuinely think that this is the best looking Luke in 1/6 form I've seen so far. It's ok if people don't agree with me.

Sure it’s a lot of work, but personally I cannot justify or fathom spending that much money on a figure right now or ever really. Not sure I could spend that much on any collectible to be honest.

And looking at it, it honestly doesn’t look at good to me. Perhaps it’s the painting but the face just looks sloppy to me. So does the clothing, it doesn’t seem to have the level of precision that Hot Toys does.

Back