Hot Toys DX Bespin Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next year is Empire’s 40th anniversary.

If we don’t see it by then, I think a DX 2.0 will be released to commemorate that.

Perhaps with alternate Dagobah attire and environment to go with Yoda instead of the battle damaged outfit and weather vane.

The rest of the ESB lineup is a matter of when (it’s going to be most marketable), not if.

I'd prefer a DX Hoth Han/Luke or Hoth Luke/Wampa set myself.

Their track record on OT likeness from faces to helmets is not great.

ANH and Hoth Leia plus Tarkin are excellent.

Everything after that runs the gamut from adequate-at-best to disappointing. Not really what I hoped for when HT announced this license.

*edit: ESB Boba Fett's helmet is very good but not perfect, ESB Vader's helmet isn't quite as good as that accuracy-wise, depending on whom you ask. I would put those somewhere after the stand-out portraits above.

Agreed. Their OT likenesses in general aren’t exactly stellar, sans a few exceptions, namely the ones you enumerated. Further reason why not to expect a superb likeness in a Bespin 2.0. As I mentioned, it’ll likely just be a case of offering those who don’t already have Bespin Luke a chance to get him and capitalizing on that. For those who already possess DX07, there will likely be no need to upgrade, except maybe the belt.

I'd prefer a DX Hoth Han/Luke or Hoth Luke/Wampa set myself.

Ooo Wampa! I haven’t heard anyone mention that before for a 1/6 scale, has Sideshow done one? what a great idea! And due to the nature of the face I would have thought easier to get right than Chewie, he just needs to have a screaming pose. Love it.

And with bloody removable arm of course.

My kids would loose their minds over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their track record on OT likeness from faces to helmets is not great.

ANH and Hoth Leia plus Tarkin are excellent.

Everything after that runs the gamut from adequate-at-best to disappointing. Not really what I hoped for when HT announced this license.

*edit: ESB Boba Fett's helmet is very good but not perfect, ESB Vader's helmet isn't quite as good as that accuracy-wise, depending on whom you ask. I would put those somewhere after the stand-out portraits above.

Yeah I think in looking back at what we've gotten since HT SW started, I really have been shocked at overall how the likenesses have been pretty sub-par. Both Vader helmets have been very middling, the stormtrooper helmet is noticeably off, and even though I've learned to like them, their ANH Han and Luke are all kinds of mediocre.

HT has nailed so many other licensed characters from many other lines (POTC, Marvel etc etc.) but in looking back, SW really has been very hit and miss. They are no doubt always very high quality figures with unbelievable sculpt detail and paint apps, still way above anyone else in 1/6, but the likenesses on a pretty long list of SW characters has been underwhelming, which is sad.

They have most definitely nailed quite a number too - Tarkin, ESB Fett, Leias, etc. - but to have gotten an eerily good ANH Han and Luke, on par with the HT Sparrows, would have been just amazing. I still have high hopes for the ESB Han and ESB Lando - and of course for a Bespin Luke 2.0.

Yeah I think in looking back at what we've gotten since HT SW started, I really have been shocked at overall how the likenesses have been pretty sub-par. Both Vader helmets have been very middling, the stormtrooper helmet is noticeably off, and even though I've learned to like them, their ANH Han and Luke are all kinds of mediocre.

HT has nailed so many other licensed characters from many other lines (POTC, Marvel etc etc.) but in looking back, SW really has been very hit and miss. They are no doubt always very high quality figures with unbelievable sculpt detail and paint apps, still way above anyone else in 1/6, but the likenesses on a pretty long list of SW characters has been underwhelming, which is sad.

They have most definitely nailed quite a number too - Tarkin, ESB Fett, Leias, etc. - but to have gotten an eerily good ANH Han and Luke, on par with the HT Sparrows, would have been just amazing. I still have high hopes for the ESB Han and ESB Lando - and of course for a Bespin Luke 2.0.

So true, and thank God for that. Most of my HT stuff, the sculpt needs to be above 80% likeness for me or I dont bite. And IMO , only Leia, and Tarkin have done that recently....The rest are 50-60% at best and 20% at worst (Chewie I am looking at you).

And who wants Leia without Luke or Han by her side?

I only own 5 OT figures currently, the rest have not made the cut....

Again , Thank God.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

So true, and thank God for that. Most of my HT stuff, the sculpt needs to be above 80% likeness for me or I dont bite. And IMO , only Leia, and Tarkin have done that recently....The rest are 50-60% at best and 20% at worst (Chewie I am looking at you).

And who wants Leia without Luke or Han by her side?

I only own 5 OT figures currently, the rest have not made the cut....

Again , Thank God.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Don't you bring HT Chewie into this.:gah::lol

Im pretty sure Hot Toys will nail the scuplt likeness for Bespin Han and new Chewie.

Just like they nailed ANH, TFA and Solo Chewies.:lol

That being said, I really do hope they do a reboot on the base Chewy figure because it's really just the face that needs major work. They are gorgeous figures of Chewy other than the faces.

Im pretty sure Hot Toys will nail the scuplt likeness for Bespin Han and new Chewie.

If you use ANH Han, and ANH and TFA Chewie as the paradigm, evidence suggests otherwise.

I’m personally one of the few that thinks the HT sculpt for ANH Han is actually decent, but I think it’s still far from nailing it and I wouldn’t use it as evidence to suggest that HT will nail the next OT Han figure.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope they do, but based on the current trend, I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Except for TFA Chewie which was a disaster, TFA old Han was pretty much spot on I believe.

Plus ANH related figures were their first efforts when they acquired SW license back in 2014, 2015? As technology advances, theres still plenty of room for improvement and their recent Tarkins and Prequels are the perfect examples of how Hot Toys is stepping up their game lately...and thats the reason why I believe Hot Toys will offer us definitive ESB Han and new Chewie.

Except for TFA Chewie which was a disaster, TFA old Han was pretty much spot on I believe.

Plus ANH related figures were their first efforts when they acquired SW license back in 2014, 2015? As technology advances, theres still plenty of room for improvement and their recent Tarkins and Prequels are the perfect examples of how Hot Toys is stepping up their game lately...and thats the reason why I believe Hot Toys will offer us definitive ESB Han and new Chewie.

I hope you're right, but prior sculpts falling short of the mark were not -- I think -- due to technological limitations.

Likenesses and helmet sculpts did not hit the mark. And either due to production deadlines, budget, or some other reason(s) -- they were approved regardless and sent into production.

It's frustrating because there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it. When they nail it, they do really, really well. It makes the misses all the more obvious because they've raised their own bar so high.

Yeah, RotJ Luke is recent. And while it’s a decent sculpt, it still misses the mark. I believe it’s more a case that HT just seems to struggle with a young Ford and Hamill.

Maybe one of these days they will get it though. It took them five tries with Black Widow figures in the MCU before they finally nailed SJ’s likeness on the fifth try with Civil War Widow.

Why?

You all guys talk about HT ANH Leia. What about HT ESB Leia?
Can anyone justify all that hate towards ANH Chewbie? I am well known around here by being nit-picking, but with some futzing on that too-big forehead, I think Chewbie would be just ok... right? Or do you guys have very strong issues against those dark eyes and the fur colour?

RfC
m.

Why?

You all guys talk about HT ANH Leia. What about HT ESB Leia?
Can anyone justify all that hate towards ANH Chewbie? I am well known around here by being nit-picking, but with some futzing on that too-big forehead, I think Chewbie would be just ok... right? Or do you guys have very strong issues against those dark eyes and the fur colour?

RfC
m.

Yeah, ESB Leia is also very strong. Chewie out of the box is problematic. For one thing there is production variation, so some make for a better base than others. It can look okay, with more aggressive mods it can even look great, but it's a custom kit, not a display-ready figure in my opinion.

Yeah, ESB Leia is also very strong. Chewie out of the box is problematic. For one thing there is production variation, so some make for a better base than others. It can look okay, with more aggressive mods it can even look great, but it's a custom kit, not a display-ready figure in my opinion.

Problematic in which sense?
Product variation regarding which aspects?
Agressive mods? You are scaring me. What do you mean?
Best,
m.

Problematic in which sense?
Product variation regarding which aspects?
Agressive mods? You are scaring me. What do you mean?
Best,
m.

On ANH Chewie there's variation in terms of fur colour, so some need more tweaking and lightening up out of the box than others do.

In terms of features, the lips may be left alone but look best repainted, the snout is a little beak-like but careful re-positioning of the fur and trimming under the chin once its pulled away from it can mitigate that and shape it. I think the eyes may be set too close but can't remember, I don't have the figure anymore.

Is it the TFA version that has an articulated jaw? If you look through that thread you can see where people have taken it apart to fix it.

Depends on how accurate you want it to look.

Back