Hot Toys DX Bespin Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just playing around today - hadn't looked at this figure for awhile...

HT-BESPIN-LUKE-02.jpg

Still a decent figure - those PERS eyes kinda date it a bit.

I think it’s still a figure that holds up. HT’s first ever SW figure, and I think it’s better than a lot of figures that followed it. If they 2.0 this figure, the sculpt is really the only determining factor for me that would make me be interested in it.

That, and what type of look you can achieve with it. As far as a Bespin/ESB Luke goes, the DX07 clean figure look is exactly the look I want. I’m personally not interested in a Dagobah training or BD Bespin look.

I hope they do a V2 of this figure, even if it came with less accessories. The pers eyes really ruin it for me and it's one of the figure that only looks good in shadows.

I love the idea of PERS so it doesn't bother me too much. I'm lucky enough to have this set, so don't think I'd get a 2.0, but if they did a Dagobah I'd probably buy him. Easy way for them to do another Bespin outfit and get people who have the first set to buy it too.

Considering the seamless shoulders they can do now (I got the WW TA -took two tries to get one that wasn't peeling) - so it would be possible for them to produce a decent looking bare armed-Luke on Dagobah figure - I just wouldn't plan on having it in any dynamic poses for long.

69b86c3799cdfb3a85009473d31f750f.jpg

ad904fe22a0d7b5e74fb46d0246b6b50.jpg

I used the Enterbay GOD body for my custom dagobah Luke. Works pretty good but lots of room for improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been meaning to make a custom Yoda back pack - I've had the parts/fabric for a while - but I keep thinking a new ESB Luke is right around the corner (that would likely include the backpack,) yet you then realize another year has gone by with no word.

Don't know how long (18 months at least) I've been expecting the long-rumored HT ESB Han Bespin to be shown finally, yet here we are early 2019 and still not even a glimpse of it.

nice work as always JediJIm - you are still the gold standard for Lukes!:lol

Thanks TaliBane. I love me some Lukes. We have seen a glimpse of Bespin Han teased in the Bespin Leia photos though. It’s on the horizon but well overdue.

Thanks TaliBane. I love me some Lukes. We have seen a glimpse of Bespin Han teased in the Bespin Leia photos though. It’s on the horizon but well overdue.

But is the Bespin Luke we’ve seen in current photos the original Bespin figure or does it look like a newly designed piece that just hasn’t been revealed yet?

I've been meaning to make a custom Yoda back pack - I've had the parts/fabric for a while - but I keep thinking a new ESB Luke is right around the corner (that would likely include the backpack,) yet you then realize another year has gone by with no word.

Don't know how long (18 months at least) I've been expecting the long-rumored HT ESB Han Bespin to be shown finally, yet here we are early 2019 and still not even a glimpse of it.

Gotta agree with jedijim. We’ve seen the glimpse, kinda like a bigfoot sighting photo, but a decent look at some of the outfit parts. There’s a run for a Bespin Han outfit right now on the other place. But without seeing if there’s a decent Han head or whether the Hot Toys outfit would be sufficient it’s kinda impossible to commit.

Bespin Han and Lando were supposed to be locks at SDCC '18 so I'll just assume the same for SDCC '19:lol. I would call Howard to complain but we just got Krennic!

I am playing around with the new HT head for this figure. This is on a generic slim/narrow body - I need to find smaller wrist pins to seat it deeper into the sleeve. This has a heavily modded Sideshow Luke Hoth hair piece.

r4VuP5J.jpg

I've suspected for a while that the new Luke sculpt is a better ESB candidate. Nice work on the hair so far...if you could file/grind down the sides a bit and re-sculpt the texture (especially on his right side, our left in the photo) you could really nail it. At least judging by that pic.

I've suspected for a while that the new Luke sculpt is a better ESB candidate. Nice work on the hair so far...if you could file/grind down the sides a bit and re-sculpt the texture (especially on his right side, our left in the photo) you could really nail it. At least judging by that pic.

That's actually some dremel dust on the left side.:lol What I should do is push-in and glue the two sideburns areas down to the side of the face but you can't see that left side gap at all from normal distance. I just don't want to commit to permanently marking the HT head just yet (I only just finished this - hence the dremel dust.) There isn't much more left to dremel under there.:lol It's more a matter of squeezing it in to the face and gluing it to get rid of the slight gap.

And yeah, I really didn't think the HT ROTJ face would work for ESB but I think it looks pretty good. It feels ESB and has a nice determined look. A problem with HT OT Luke faces is they tend to be pretty meh expression-wise - both farmboy and non-BD Bespin are dentist-waiting-room expressions, even if there's a slight whiff of expression under certain lighting. The BD is nice but it's very scene specific with the blood and slightly over the top.

I've been in what seems to be the minorit and actually prefer the non-BD Bespin sculpt. If you don't use the PERS on the BD sculpt and have it looking straight ahead, it to me has an expression of him sort of looking like he's drunk or high on meth. The non-BD one looks a bit more determined to me that sort of resembles his expression when he first encountered Vader in the freezing room and powered up his saber to duel, which is precisely how I have him posed.

I've been in what seems to be the minorit and actually prefer the non-BD Bespin sculpt. If you don't use the PERS on the BD sculpt and have it looking to the side, it to me has an expression of him sort of looking like he's drunk or high on meth.

Yeah the BD works pretty well for stump-arm poses because the viewer is like "he's got no hand" but otherwise it's an "ask me about my explosive diarrhea" expression.:lol I have him in duel pose and it feels like he's taking offense to what Vader has just done and is about to cry.

The likeness is pretty good though. For me the non-BD is really decent it just often feels like a generically handsome young man, without a strong Hamill vibe (though certain lighting brings it out.) I'm also not a huge fan of the hairsculpt, even though HT hair blows SSC hairsculpts away every time in terms of detail.

One thing I may try is a light touch of tan mixed with gold to give it that slight sheen HT hair has. Obvioulsy they overdo it with copper-top farmboy Luke and Golden-rod old Han, but they did it pretty well with the ROTJ hair - proving the metallic thing can work if done subtly.

Yeah, the lack of blondness in the hair I don't really knock points off for because HT can never seem to get blonde hair right, on any figure that has blonde hair. It always comes out looking copper or merely has a tint of gold. So them bungling blonde hair seems to pretty much be a given at this point.

I agree that the likeness on the BD sculpt is good, but I think you have to use the PERS and have it looking to the side in order to capture it (I had that backwards in my previous post and meant to say it's when you have him looking straight ahead that it comes across as looking like he's drunk or high on meth). The non-BD one I think looks good either way because like I mentioned, to me it resembles the expression he had when he first encountered Vader in the freezing chamber.

I personally think the non-BD Bespin sculpt and overall figure is the best OT Luke likeness and figure thus far. Even if they did a Bespin 2.0, I can't see them knocking the likeness out of the park on it because if the RotJ figure is anything to go by, they're still struggling a bit with his OT likeness. Don't get me wrong, I do think the RotJ sculpt is pretty good, it's most definitely Hamill to me, but it could still be better. Though compared to the SSC one, it looks like a masterpiece. :lol

Back