Hot Toys Darth Vader : tips , tricks and any other mods

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. I brushed it on. Just have some reference images from the film on hand so you can see what direction the brush strokes should go in each area.

Also the edge on the "eyelids" are gunmetal. I painted them first, then painted the black on the underside to give the gunmetal a nice edge on the underside of the eyelid. It's almost impossible to see, it's one of those little details, but you'll know... [emoji6]

Sent from my Motherbox PING PING PING PING PING PING PING PING

Got it. I do think the black around the eyes really helps. The thing I always notice on the unmodded HT helmet is the eyes seeming too small - when it's really just that the surrounds aren't black.

Did you remove the lenses? Jeez they were hard to get out on mine. But I'd spent time hacking the whole helmet apart so just kept plowing along.

Got it. I do think the black around the eyes really helps. The thing I always notice on the unmodded HT helmet is the eyes seeming too small - when it's really just that the surrounds aren't black.

Did you remove the lenses? Jeez they were hard to get out on mine. But I'd spent time hacking the whole helmet apart so just kept plowing along.

Yep. To paint the black over the eyes you have to remove the lens.

My lenses popped right out without any effort. I paid my dues getting that nose plug out though. That thing took a considerable effort to remove. LOL!

Yep. To paint the black over the eyes you have to remove the lens.

My lenses popped right out without any effort. I paid my dues getting that nose plug out though. That thing took a considerable effort to remove. LOL!

Didn't you trim the neck line as well. It seems like the angle is kind of sharp. I think you sanded it down?

So I found some time tonight to try out Matrix's nose mod.

I used DAS air drying modeling clay, and Matrix's technique of smoothing it out and shaping it with the end of a small paint brush.

It's currently drying but you can tell that it looks a million times better. I'll probably do another very thin layer paying special attention to the edges, before painting it up, but even unpainted you can see Vader's likeness getting better and better.

7a912f0968013103f25d9b5166db1ec3.jpg
5e412a2cf018d65f413ac640a11c60b5.jpg
ce059f9c5153d1ba57392f80bc83e3e1.jpg

Has anyone come up with a solution for the belt buckle?

It's supposed to have a sort of machined circular pattern that creates a cool little light effect similar to a DVD

6c6d2c620f14621521621cf354612789.jpg

But instead we have this smooth darker metal color.

13a4e254b1d867bb892916b85d0b131d.jpg

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something, but I keep hitting dead ends.

Has anyone come up with a solution for the belt buckle?

It's supposed to have a sort of machined circular pattern that creates a cool little light effect similar to a DVD

6c6d2c620f14621521621cf354612789.jpg

But instead we have this smooth darker metal color.

13a4e254b1d867bb892916b85d0b131d.jpg

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with something, but I keep hitting dead ends.

Is it the size of a watch winder?

Hot Toys 1:6 Darth Vader, modified and upgraded by the talented JazzInc. Here are the mods he did on my Vader:

- repaint and weathering on the helmet
- slight buffing of the satin, just like the movie
- removed the dome
- put metal tape on the inside of the eyes to get a bit more red
- removed ribs on dome and sanded down the top of the 'head'
- reglued the dome slightly asymmetrically
- weathered and repainted the armor
- wired up the belt boxes and voice system to 4,5 dc adapter
- redressed him with cod as high as it could go
- chest box attached with double sided tape right underneath the armor
- weathered the belt, boxes and buckle
- removed the wire from the robe and added a heavier one along the bottom of the robe
- weathered and polished the shin armor
- painted all the hands flat black
- used double sided tape to really attach the glove to the hand seamlessly
- weathered and repainted the chest box
- did a lot of futzing and water treatment to get it to fall naturally
- removed all excess fabric from the inside seams of the tunic and vest
- cut some of the rubber from the side of the chest so the arms can go straight down
- repainted the upper eyelids black

No cathode saber for me, I display Vader in a static museum pose.

Hot%20Toys%20Darth%20Vader%20ANH%2003_zpsvgabh9dl.  jpg

Hot%20Toys%20Darth%20Vader%20ANH%2005_zpswvb0yy30.  jpg

Hot%20Toys%20Darth%20Vader%20ANH%2006_zpsvmnipqvd.  jpg

Hot%20Toys%20Darth%20Vader%20ANH%2009_zpspvpmy3aw.  jpg

Hot%20Toys%20Darth%20Vader%20ANH%2010_zpspfh439fi.  jpg

Nicely done. That's just that DAS stuff sculpted with the end of a paint brush?

Nicely done. That's just that DAS stuff sculpted with the end of a paint brush?

Basically. I did modify the existing nose originally by sanding it down so it sat deeper into the face. I used that as a foundation for the modeling clay, and used Matrix's method of sculpting and shaping it with the end of a brush. It worked like a charm.

Oh man, I think I finally found a solution for the crappy belt buckle.

It's a plastic rotary dimmer knob for lamp. I found a black one which is appropriate since the sculpt for the belt buckle is molded in black, painting silver on top of it will match the look of the stock belt more closely I think.

I know that there are not miniature concentric circular ridges on the round part of the actual belt buckle used in the movie, but I'm more interested in the way the light reflects off the surface. At a normal viewing distance inside of my display case it will be nearly impossible to see the miniature ridges, but the way the light reflects off of it will be clearly visible. The ridges will likely be a little more deemphasized once I am finished than they appear in the pictures below, because I'm going to put a few coats of paint on which will fill in the space between the ridges a little more making them appear a little flatter.

7667533cfc92bfada6ebe237108e5a0a.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a picture of a reproduction belt. You can see the light pattern that I'm referring to it's kind of like the hands on a clock, and when you move the belt the "hands" move around the "face."

143e409d49ce2a40bf119bb8eb61f6f0.jpg

Here's some pictures of the circular part painted up. You can see that the tiny ridges are effectively replicating the light pattern.

bf9fa8640a04ddc6ae4cbe0e2d9e85e0.jpg
53ded388967177a1a0dd4b6812be7728.jpg
5b4d9fd1d672ca88befb4bb0e6ac17bc.jpg
e869f9642395178ae122c778f5043d86.jpg

Here's a picture that I took from a distance and then cropped. It illustrates what I was talking about in the post above that you will only be able to see the light pattern from a standard viewing distance and not the tiny ridges.

4dbffa917041c68db62fea2691f22fd7.jpg

Back