1/6 [Hot Toys] Daredevil: The Punisher

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally get it. I rarely PO anymore. It's not too difficult to pick up a used one here or one off eBay new for $180ish.

But there is a thrill in opening that box when it comes out. And stuff has been selling out recently - new war machine, Deadpool, BvS batman, BvS superman. This seems to have a positive response and a pretty big following.

I totally get it. I rarely PO anymore. It's not too difficult to pick up a used one here or one off eBay new for $180ish.

But there is a thrill in opening that box when it comes out. And stuff has been selling out recently - new war machine, Deadpool, BvS batman, BvS superman. This seems to have a positive response and a pretty big following.

Dont worry about it. Just enjoy your figures. I cant really expect a forum for toys to be filled with reason.

I'm not sure if there is genuinely new collectors or not. It's a nice set but paying as much as this for a "backdrop" and box. I didn't know that was worth the price hike these figures have got. One can pick up a Hot Toys box for $2.99 at Monkey Depot. Everyone will try their best to justify their purchase but let's be honest here, it's for the Hot Toys name. This can be put together for much cheaper than what they are asking.

In any case, it's a nice set, just not $220 nice. It's the same with CW Winter Soldier. Barely anything added for $220? Give me a break.

After the initial hype of everyone buying a newly released figure, the value goes down quick. You can see this in the For Sale forums. How much did AoU Hawkeye retail for and how much is it going now? Yeah.....

They're not the same figure nor do they have the same popularity but these are way overpriced to begin with.

These cost way more to produce than what you think. If they were cheap and easy to make then there would be way more companies making them with these licenses. For Topps to get a celebrity license to put their autograph on cards it can cost them more than $100,000 for them to sign 100 cards. So i can only imagine what the license is to get an actor's entire likeness for toys. Its several hundreds of thousands for some of these actors, i am sure.

And being a graphic designer, I know the costs of manufacturing packaging its extremely expensive. I have done a lot of software packaging in my career which is similar to their toy packaging. The printing itself can cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on how many they print. Some HTs packaging is very elaborate and custom made for each figure, its not like they follow the same template for every figure. Adding a metallic ink to a print run of 10,000 can jump the costs several thousands of dollars.

Just because Monkey Depot sells a box for $5 doesnt mean thats what it costs to produce. I say on average the most basic box probably costs them about $10-20 each to produce. The larger more elaborate boxes would be even higher. if they print 10,000 boxes, thats $100-$200,000. Thats just to print them. But that doesn't factor in their time at all for designing the boxes. The designers spend probably several weeks on a box maybe longer, and that is several thousand dollars worth of design time. Some of their boxes uses photography, and so the photographers also have a salary.

its way more expensive and elaborate than you might think. And they need to make profits to keep going as a business. You can't survive as a business if you break even. You need to make a lot of money to keep your business going. Pay rent, insurance, employees, benefits, etc etc...

If they sold this figure with the same exact quality for $100, they be out of business. Back in the day when they were small, yes of course it was cheaper, they had way less expenses. But they have grown probably far bigger than they even imagined, so its very very expensive.

And Hong Kong i believe is ranked #1 most expensive city in the world. Or its atleast top 2 or 3.

Dont worry about it. Just enjoy your figures. I cant really expect a forum for toys to be filled with reason.

These cost way more to produce than what you think. If they were cheap and easy to make then there would be way more companies making them with these licenses. For Topps to get a celebrity license to put their autograph on cards it can cost them more than $100,000 for them to sign 100 cards. So i can only imagine what the license is to get an actor's entire likeness for toys. Its several hundreds of thousands for some of these actors, i am sure.

And being a graphic designer, I know the costs of manufacturing packaging its extremely expensive. I have done a lot of software packaging in my career which is similar to their toy packaging. The printing itself can cost several hundreds of thousands of dollars, depending on how many they print. Some HTs packaging is very elaborate and custom made for each figure, its not like they follow the same template for every figure. Adding a metallic ink to a print run of 10,000 can jump the costs several thousands of dollars.

Just because Monkey Depot sells a box for $5 doesnt mean thats what it costs to produce. I say on average the most basic box probably costs them about $10-20 each to produce. The larger more elaborate boxes would be even higher. if they print 10,000 boxes, thats $100-$200,000. Thats just to print them. But that doesn't factor in their time at all for designing the boxes. The designers spend probably several weeks on a box maybe longer, and that is several thousand dollars worth of design time. Some of their boxes uses photography, and so the photographers also have a salary.

its way more expensive and elaborate than you might think. And they need to make profits to keep going as a business. You can't survive as a business if you break even. You need to make a lot of money to keep your business going. Pay rent, insurance, employees, benefits, etc etc...

If they sold this figure with the same exact quality for $100, they be out of business. Back in the day when they were small, yes of course it was cheaper, they had way less expenses. But they have grown probably far bigger than they even imagined, so its very very expensive.

And Hong Kong i believe is ranked #1 most expensive city in the world. Or its atleast top 2 or 3.

:mwaha

I have to agree. Just selling some old toys on ebay is hard to make break, even let alone make profit. And I don't count driving to USPS and gas, etc. You need to realize your enjoyment comes at a dollar amount and be happy or don't buy. This is an expensive hobby. People need to evaluate their desires against their needs and income. If you got the money and it's what you want go for it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise....try to agree with your spouse though lol

:goodpost:

Lets look at this example, Toys Era is coming out with their Magtant 2.0 with a ton of accessories for around $160-$180 depending on where you buy them, average $170. This is a full blown release mind you.

Now we get a barebones release with CW Winter Soldier or even Punisher. These guns don't even cost that much. Anyone can buy a good weapons pack on ebay for $20. These official Hot Toys cost $230+

So $50 for licensing fees plus any profit they want to put in there?

Their target price is around $220 as thats what still sells. This price hike happened a couple of years ago yet the market is still there for consumption at this price.

If we take a look at ebay and try to piece these things together, even a body only costs around $10-$30, clothing another $40-$60 and head sculpt around $20-$30. There is a pretty big price increase just for the Hot Toys brand. Youre paying for quality assurance checks thus what HT has a reputation for.

Now, I wonder how a company like Toys Era can produce full-blown release for cheaper while a bigger company like Hot Toys releases a lackluster figure for almost 20% increase in price. Something just doesnt add up.

Toys Era, hell, even CGL Toys released a full blown figure with Professor X with 3 head sculpts for $220.

I remember a time when a release, like the Hot Toys Red Skull, was released for around $200. That came with two head sculpts too.

Last edited:
:goodpost:

Lets look at this example, Toys Era is coming out with their Magtant 2.0 with a ton of accessories for around $160-$180 depending on where you buy them, average $170. This is a full blown release mind you.

Now we get a barebones release with CW Winter Soldier or even Punisher. These guns don't even cost that much. Anyone can buy a good weapons pack on ebay for $20. These official Hot Toys cost $230+

So $50 for licensing fees plus any profit they want to put in there?

Their target price is around $220 as thats what still sells. This price hike happened a couple of years ago yet the market is still there for consumption at this price.

If we take a look at ebay and try to piece these things together, even a body only costs around $10-$30, clothing another $40-$60 and head sculpt around $20-$30. There is a pretty big price increase just for the Hot Toys brand. Youre paying for quality assurance checks thus what HT has a reputation for.

Now, I wonder how a company like Toys Era can produce full-blown release for cheaper while a bigger company like Hot Toys releases a lackluster figure for almost 20% increase in price. Something just doesnt add up.

Toys Era, hell, even CGL Toys released a full blown figure with Professor X with 3 head sculpts for $220.

I remember a time when a release, like the Hot Toys Red Skull, was released for around $200. That came with two head sculpts too.

You answered your own questions. companies like Toy Era/CGL/VTS dont have the licensing yet they still cost $160-180. If they had the license, they would easily have to jack up the figure to $220+. Plus their quality is not nearly as good as HTs. And they dont make 10,000-20,000 runs like Hot Toys does. Toys Era couldn't afford to.

Plus Red Skull is now 5-6 years old. Back then, even not that long ago it seem, things were cheaper to produce. The world changes daily, prices go up for everything. Look at even shipping. Costs are very expensive to ship a single figure from the USA to Australia. Heck when i sold a figure just 5 years ago and had to ship it to California, today it costs more than it did back then.

Importing products from overseas countries is very very expensive. And like i said Hong Kong is right now one of the most expensive cities in the world. Its far more expensive than New York and San Fran. Far more.

the other thing i will add is that all the Comic Shops and Sideshow make money off these too. Comic Shops buy these things at a wholesale price and they need to make $$ too. So you have to factor that into it as well.

You answered your own questions. Toy Era/CGL/VTA doesnt have the licensing yet they still cost $160-180. If they had the license, they would easily have to jack up the figure to $220+. Plus their quality is not nearly as good as HTs. And they dont make 10,000-20,000 runs like Hot Toys does. Toys Era couldn't afford to.

Plus Red Skull is now 5-6 years old. Back then, even not that long ago it seem, things were cheaper to produce. The world changes daily, prices go up for everything. Look at even shipping. Costs are very expensive to ship a single figure from the USA to Australia. Heck when i sold a figure just 5 years ago and had to ship it to California, today it costs more than it did back then.

Importing products from overseas countries is very very expensive. And like i said Hong Kong is right now one of the most expensive cities in the world. Its far more expensive than New York and San Fran. Far more.

Cost of labor did go up in China, which is where these plastic figures are made. That'll be the day when manufacturing jobs come back to the US, including Hot Toys manufacturing lmao.

They cost $160-$180 but with two head sculpts today. Not to mention, Red Skull was right on that price point too at $200 but some time ago. There is still a price hike for Hot Toys name.

You can see Francis from VTS toys retailing for $120-$130. If that was a Hot Toys release, I am pretty sure itll be $230 like this Punisher release.

Again, there is a reasonable price and HT isnt it.

I was involved with the design team for a start-up company that would be producing high-end statues with licenses from the Big Two. In my short stint as part of that team I got more info that made me realize the things that make up the SRP of every figure. Prototyping can cost thousands of dollars already, and that's for the sculpt/3D printing of the base figure alone. No prototype clothing/tailoring yet, then there's the master painter. The factories are demanding more pay, and would sometimes drop names like "____ Toys is paying us this, so...". Then there's the killer license fees that keep going up the more popular the property goes -- tens of thousands of dollars per line per scale per region. So a Worldwide-distribution license similar to what Hot Toys secures would have to be really expensive, and may very well have the biggest chunk in the price of every figure we purchase. Shows why even the most mediocre licensed 1/6 or 1/4 products from, say, Sideshow, cost almost as much as Hot Toys. They invest the same $ for their products, it's just that HT's artists in charge of the prototypes are better thus better end product.

I was involved with the design team for a start-up company that would be producing high-end statues with licenses from the Big Two. In my short stint as part of that team I got more info that made me realize the things that make up the SRP of every figure. Prototyping can cost thousands of dollars already, and that's for the sculpt/3D printing of the base figure alone. No prototype clothing/tailoring yet, then there's the master painter. The factories are demanding more pay, and would sometimes drop names like "____ Toys is paying us this, so...". Then there's the killer license fees that keep going up the more popular the property goes -- tens of thousands of dollars per line per scale per region. So a Worldwide-distribution license similar to what Hot Toys secures would have to be really expensive, and may very well have the biggest chunk in the price of every figure we purchase. Shows why even the most mediocre licensed 1/6 or 1/4 products from, say, Sideshow, cost almost as much as Hot Toys. They invest the same $ for their products, it's just that HT's artists in charge of the prototypes are better thus better end product.

e50.gif

It will be even better if you can quantify it.

Cost of labor did go up in China, which is where these plastic figures are made. That'll be the day when manufacturing jobs come back to the US, including Hot Toys manufacturing lmao.

They cost $160-$180 but with two head sculpts today. Not to mention, Red Skull was right on that price point too at $200 but some time ago. There is still a price hike for Hot Toys name.

You can see Francis from VTS toys retailing for $120-$130. If that was a Hot Toys release, I am pretty sure itll be $230 like this Punisher release.

Again, there is a reasonable price and HT isnt it.

Even VTS has different price points for different figures. I got their Wasteland Ranger. he was around $160. Why are they charging more for him than others? they dont have a license. Its because he was more expensive to produce. Yeah, if Hot Toys made Mad Max, he would be $220. And i would rather pay more for an officially licensed figure than a unlicensed. If their ranger was $160, $60 more for official product is worth it to me, and HTs to me are far superior. Granted the Wasteland Ranger came out great i love it, but HTs would take it 1 step further. This Punisher prototype is mind blowing amazing. There is nothing by any unlicensed company has done thats more realistic than Hot Toys.

Even VTS has different price points for different figures. I got their Wasteland Ranger. he was around $160. Why are they charging more for him than others? they dont have a license. Its because he was more expensive to produce. Yeah, if Hot Toys made Mad Max, he would be $220. And i would rather pay more for an officially licensed figure than a unlicensed. If their ranger was $160, $60 more for official product is worth it to me, and HTs to me are far superior. Granted the Wasteland Ranger came out great i love it, but HTs would take it 1 step further. This Punisher prototype is mind blowing amazing. There is nothing by any unlicensed company has done thats more realistic than Hot Toys.
So you're subjectively justifying the price and don't mind paying for that Hot Toys name. Got it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I rather get what I am paying for. Amount of physical goods for amount of money spent.

In any case, good talk. [emoji12]

:exactly::goodpost:

Yup!!!! that is exactly what i deal with in the graphic design field. There is so much involved in making 1 toy. Just look at the credits on any box, theres several dozen people involved to make 1 toy. All those people have salaries and they all have different jobs to do. And im sure there are people that are not even listed on the box that are involved.

The licensing is super expensive and when you have actor licenses its even more. And every actor will cost differently. Harrison Ford's license will be far more than Huge Weaving.

So you're subjectively justifying the price and don't mind paying for that Hot Toys name. Got it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I rather get what I am paying for. Amount of physical goods for amount of money spent.

In any case, good talk. [emoji12]

No, i just rather pay more for a better product. Good example: SH Figuarts vs. Star Wars Black Series. I rather buy SH Figuarts at $50-60, than $20 for a Black Series of the same character because SH Figuarts are far superior in design and likeness. But one reason they are more $$ is they are imported figures. Hasbro isn't so they are cheaper.

These are small figures too, yet they are $50-60 and are not nearly what a Hot Toys figure is. The SH Figuarts Kylo Ren Unmasked is retailing at about $90 right now. Some shops selling it even higher like around $120. huge difference from a small 6 inch figure to highly detailed Hot Toys and the small figure is almost $100.

Ordered. It's worth the price to me so I ordered it. I enjoy these more than statues and statues that I think look good are way to big and too expensive.

Back