Hot Toys Custom Predator Gort

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragacin

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi,
Well I got a bug up my hiney to do a custom Predator figure and tried to decided between several, and finally settled on old Gort here. It started life as your average Chopper Pred, bought off eBay cheap and complete. I kept what I needed and sold off the rest of the parts, so the base figure cost me oh $12.00 :). Then I purchased a set of the 7 custom 1/6 helmets on eBay for the Gort helmet, and again, I am selling off the remainder on eBay. Last item I purchased for the figure thus far was a recast Argonauts Predator 2 vinyl figure from an eBayer in Thailand. OK, OK before the pitchforks and finger pointing starts about the immorality of recasting, buying recasts, condoning recasts yadda yadda, I did it simply because I was not going to pony up $200 for a genuine Argonauts kit and then destroy it by slicing it up. Simple as that. Not only for the cost, but it would really be a waste of the art form. I would be destroying a kit that someone else would be glad to have and build up like it was intended. OK, off the high horse. :). I had owned a Argonaut kit in the past and knew it would be the right size for the project. And for what it's worth, for $25 shipped from Thailand, the kit wasn't bad at all. I have seen some custom P2's done using the Kotobukiya statue, but it was just a little to small IMHO.
Anyway, for those you are unsure who Gort is, he is one of the hunting party at the end of Predator 2 in the ship. His helmet design was actually made for Predator 1, but the director went with the more simple helmet, which increased the shock value when the actual face of that Ugly MoFo was shown.
So here is the start. I have quite a ways to go yet, and I will post progress pics along the way. I also plan on buying some leather strapping to make belts and lacing and pouches.
Here are the pics, first up, non-descript Joe Predator in his jammies.
BasicPred.jpg

And with the armor on. I don't plan on using the skirt, but didn't want him to be showing off his stuff as I hadn't completed the codpiece yet.
GortCustomPred1.jpg

GortCustomPred2.jpg

HEY! THAT WAS GONNA BE MY IDEA! :lol
I was gonna do that and make a P2. :D
Good for you though!
And VERY GLAD to see it works!
You had to do some serious trimming I know. I have thought of this for months.
I have the original Argonauts kit, and have been a bit worried about ruining it for this, but now that I have seen your success, I am stoked. I will try.

I will be watching your progress. BRILLIANT!
Can't wait to see him done. And I LOVE that mask. That was my 2nd fave guy from P2 after the Elder.
This is so gonna rock!

By the way, how did you get the feet to work?
Did you have to trim the HT feet down to fit inside the model feet?

And...how shug are the parts? I wonder if your recast is a bit smaller than the original kit or not. Might make a difference on how well this works for mine. Might wanna get a recast one anyway.

figuremasterles said:
By the way, how did you get the feet to work?
Did you have to trim the HT feet down to fit inside the model feet?

And...how shug are the parts? I wonder if your recast is a bit smaller than the original kit or not. Might make a difference on how well this works for mine. Might wanna get a recast one anyway.

Sorry to steal the idea Les ;)
The armor fits pretty well so far. I am not sure the amount of shrinkage for the recast will make that big a difference as it seems like it is a 1st generation cast. The feet are just the model feet, I am going to fill them with putty and use the HT ball joints.
Oh yes, a lot of trimming was done, but with a little heat from the hair dryer, it went pretty smoothly.

Very cool indeed ! I've had similar plans but it all hinges on getting a H.T Pred nice'n cheap . Well done on that and as for the old "guilt trip " on the re-cast dilemma , if an original kit is impossible to get and/or discontinued , well the re-cast option is the only one . After all if you manage to find an original on the secondary market,all your doing is lining the pockets of a dealer ! (Lecture over!) Keep us updated .:maul

Great looking figure so far! I've toyed with the idea of using some of my Pred models for a custom ever since the HT figures came out, but I just can't bring myself to start slicing up my original kits... not yet, anyway. :monkey4 Can't wait to see more pics of Gort in progress. :cool:

That is an awsome start!!! I am in the process of doing the same thing. I have the 5th sense pred in resin that I was going to re-cast into parts for a HT (no-I'm not a re-caster, I am just going to cast the leg/arm armour) or dremmel out the resin to fit.
'love the helmet.

Back