1/6 Hot Toys BvS: Dawn of Justice-Wonder Woman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I saw the original description of 17 points of articulation as opposed to over 30 points I knew exactly what to expect but I actually thought the articulation would be worse than this, so I'm pleased

What's the point of 17 points of articulation that you effectively can't use, or do so at your own peril? Can't say that I'm particularly pleased with that. This isn't a 10-20 dollar figure, this is a high-end luxury figure. I expect quality.

Please understand, I really want the figure and I'm still (just about) looking forward to getting it. But at this price I think I'm entitled to voice my disapproval at the issues that the figure APPEARS to be having.

My actual judgement will have to wait on the subsequent reviews and getting g the figure in hand. I know better than to judge based on immediate knee jerk reactions on the Internet.

Very fair point! Agreed. I've only been on this forum for a few years, some of it just lurking. So it's easy to forget that it isn't necessarily common knowledge that a rubber body would be that susceptible to deformities.

I disagree..Hotstuff did a pretty decent seamless back in the day , the only issues were the feet were poorly executed and the inner metal skeleton around the legs were fragile, however the silicon design for the rest of the body where pretty sturdy, but anatomically it lacked.

Original phicen before metal skeleton were built very well and had clicking stiff rubber body movements, problem was each release was bulkier than the next and over the years the proportions have taken a backseat to Phicen focusing more on weapons or clothing design

Hmm. I don't own Gamora so I'm not sure this is the same body..I would have to see the Gamora body stripped to see if they used the same body. From the reviews on Gamora, it seemed like the articulation wasn't really fluent but that can also be because of the restrictive outfit.

Gamora uses the same body as the Avengers Black Widow with seamless arms. There have been cases of the arms splitting and tearing.

Man, this thread is wild. Reading the last few pages, you'd think HT sprung this seamless body on everybody at the last minute.

For WW, her body and skin is just as important to the overall aesthetic as her outfit. Personally, I think they went the correct route. We all know these are toys, but to me, these 1/6 figure take what's best about their 1/1 counterpart in an effort to portray them as accurately as possible, while still allowing for some of the "fun" associated with action figures. Seeing multiple joints on figures takes away any possibility of imagining the figure as a 1/6 representation of the actual person, and immediately activates blaring alarms screaming "TOY. TOY. TOY."

I'm just shocked by the response to the seamless body. Yeah, it sucks that there may be potential damage caused to the rubber body due to the limitations of the material, but it shouldn't really be a surprise. As others have stated, there is no material out there for toys that can mimic human tissue. Heck, human skin itself has multiple imperfections.

It's just asking a lot that HT cater to the collectors who value aesthetics as well as the collectors who value the action figure aspect without creating both a seamless and visible-jointed body to choose from.

With a little effort, collectors can still get her to look amazing in some organic looking poses that don't have to test the range of motion limitations of the material.

These are my sentiments as well.

The way I view many of these high end 1/6 figures is they are essentially poseable statues, because they have a lot of life-like detail and the realism that a statue would have, but you're able to articulate them to be posed to your personal liking. Overly conspicuous joints to me take away from the realism of it and the figure then starts drifting towards the "toy" side, as you said. In order to preserve the life of these though, exposed joints or not, I do think some precautions need to be taken and consequently, there will be some limitations in how you can pose it in order to preserve the life of the figure. You need to be cognizant of various things, such as suit materials and how much stress you may be putting on a joint or fabric when the figure is in a certain pose.

What's the point of 17 points of articulation that you effectively can't use, or do so at your own peril? Can't say that I'm particularly pleased with that. This isn't a 10-20 dollar figure, this is a high-end luxury figure. I expect quality.

It's a two part design process with HT. What I've seen lately is

1. HT would rather focus on perfecting the design of the outfit and how aesthetically it fits on a base body mimicking the actual character
2. The overall attention to nailing details in the face, tattoos, skin and anatomy of a character
3. Attention to accessories seems to have grown with HT over the past four or five years

Now what gets loss in all this is overall articulation. I think this is the last thing they factor in perfecting the TT body. They mean well, but they are still clinging to " if it's not broke..don't fix it " mentality.

Ex they still haven't had a body do a full split. :lecture

Could it be..cutting costs ..who knows :dunno

So to take your idea using what you are expecting in terms of quality from their version of WW ..you're getting it..in the outfit and aesthetics how the armor looks on her body as well as accessories

As for articulation they used WW as a Guinea Pig for a new concept, but didn't think that was a priority :lecture

This figure is an unmitigated disaster. I must pass and I'm very disappointed that I will be but I won't pay close to 300 bucks for a figure that deteriorates this way.

I'm sure hot toys heard it a bit from the hulk deluxe but when i see the Wonder Woman result I now have an appreciation for the double torso option, one jointed and one static - at the shoulders

In my opinion they should have done the same for Wonder Woman. Two head sculpts. Two torsos - one static battle stance - one jointed at shoulder (and elbows) - and avoided this premature aging look from creasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamora uses the same body as the Avengers Black Widow with seamless arms. There have been cases of the arms splitting and tearing.

Are you sure? Well then there is no way this WW seamless should be compared to Gamora because these are two differently designed bodies.

They make the men figures plastic with joints exposed, why not the female, I'm fine with joints $_1.JPG something like this but single elbow joint like letokers body and the new Harley knees would be what I want and no thigh cuts

Are you sure? Well then there is no way this WW seamless should be compared to Gamora because these are two differently designed bodies.

It was a more recent attempt at seamless and they failed. You wouldn't think that's relevant?

Why would black widow. Red seamless arms?

My WS BW isn't seamless... is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattingly with a swing and a miss...

170px-Don_Mattingly_Strikes_Out.jpg

If you prefer aesthetic over articulation, just buy a statue. Wonder Woman shouldn't be about her looks, I would rather get her into a battle pose and see joints than spend 230+ on something that's only gonna last a couple years.

If you prefer aesthetic over articulation, just buy a statue. Wonder Woman shouldn't be about her looks, I would rather get her into a battle pose and see joints than spend 230+ on something that's only gonna last a couple years.

I've always felt this to be a weak argument when some people say the aesthetics of the figure are a big thing to them.

I personally don't really like exposed knee or elbow joints, but I also don't want a statue that is in a permanent pose that I can't move at all, even if I wanted to make just a slight tweak. The materials used in making these figures help enhance the realism and the quality, but the trade off is that sometimes requires you to have to be cognizant of how you pose it in order to preserve the life of the figure.

I mean, isn't this the way with all Hot Toys figures though? I've seen some pretty incredible poses by the professional photographers/bloggers, but wouldn't dream of replicating them via mine because it could ruin the outfits. So it's the same with figures like Wonder Woman or Gamora; just because you CAN move them in ways that push the limits of their skin, doesn't mean you should.

It's a trade-off. You get the seamless look, but with less articulation. If they had gone the visible joint route, people would be able to pose but would be complaining about how ugly the visible joints are. For me personally, I pre-ordered this figure under the assumption that I wouldn't be able to do much with her beyond the pose the prototype had, and that's all I intend to do with her.

I think people are reading into this too much..I'm seeing people are believing you can't pose this figure at all :horror

That's not the case and no reviewer is saying this..you can pose the hell out of her, just be careful and don't keep her in one extreme pose for a long time. I think if we change the pose constantly at a time or put her in a simple pose it should be alright in the duration.

If this figure was meant to be 100% untouched and treated like a statue then I seriously doubt bloggers would put her in such extreme poses :lecture

I think a lot of the collectors need to step back and see that HT did design this to be a figure not a statue. However it's needs extra attention :lecture

I mean, isn't this the way with all Hot Toys figures though? I've seen some pretty incredible poses by the professional photographers/bloggers, but wouldn't dream of replicating them via mine because it could ruin the outfits. So it's the same with figures like Wonder Woman or Gamora; just because you CAN move them in ways that push the limits of their skin, doesn't mean you should.

It's a trade-off. You get the seamless look, but with less articulation. If they had gone the visible joint route, people would be able to pose but would be complaining about how ugly the visible joints are. For me personally, I pre-ordered this figure under the assumption that I wouldn't be able to do much with her beyond the pose the prototype had, and that's all I intend to do with her.

:exactly:

With a lot of these blogger pics that have overly dynamic poses, I can almost guarantee that they posed the figure like that just for the picture; it's not something they're going to leave it in long term.

Back