1/6 Hot Toys - BvS: Dawn of Justice - Batman

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well yeah, people in the bootlegging world dont play fair, they take something some else did and sell it for profit, whether taking someones photos or studio design of a character (ie a cape) , thats just the world they operate in and one shouldnt be shocked or angered when it happens to them

Yup this.
It's batmans cape, hot toys made it first, someone copied it and tried to improve on it - is copied infringed licensing laws and then someone else done it.
Forgive me if I'm incorrect but isn't this what "custom" capes and all other accessories file under.
Why gripe about having some choice
Thud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony Mei is not a "bootlegger". He's a customizer. A bootlegger is someone who produce a cheap knockoff based on a real product. Tony Mei makes costumes and capes that the real company doesn't make or he makes the cape even better. The fake Hot Toys figure you see on dbay from China are bootleggers

Tony Mei is not a "bootlegger". He's a customizer. A bootlegger is someone who produce a cheap knockoff based on a real product. Tony Mei makes costumes and capes that the real company doesn't make or he makes the cape even better. The fake Hot Toys figure you see on dbay from China are bootleggers

Youre lawyering. He uses Hot Toys/WB design for hes capes. He may make them a little more pleasing as far as materials go. If he just made capes for his figures hed be a customizer (which is is also) but the minute he sells them he gets into the realm of bootlegging(not paying a fee to sell something based on someone elses intellectual property)

If one is going to promote their own product, it's beyond me why they wouldn't want to show pictures that advertise their exact product and how their product makes something (in this case the figure) better. Makes no sense to me. I consider it stupid and humorous because you're only damaging your own reputation, not anyone else's.

Using someone else's pictures to try and advertise their product in no way harms the person whose pictures they're using; it only harms themselves because they're showing an item that isn't the exact one that the consumer is going to receive from them. So the joke is really on them, because once people receive their product and realize that it's not the one that was advertised in the pictures (provided they're unhappy with it), it will harm your business and your reputation. I can see if say someone was to purchase someone else's product at retail and then they try and flip it for a profit and claim it as their work, then yeah, that's a major issue and does harm that other person's business.

As I mentioned before, there are many producers of beautiful custom capes, but I don't really understand how one is ripping off of the other when they're all producing basically the same cape for the same figure, presumably out of relatively the same fabric to reflect screen accuracy in texture and look. They all are essentially ripping off from a larger source.

Man this is still going on in here.
Yeah. You were expecting to see some images of the figure. But no just the whole Tony Mei's cape is better/ Jaxon is a thief situation. I'm tired of it too. But as long as fuel gets thrown into the flame it won't end any time soon.

I really don't see anything wrong in custom capes. Same with other accessories to improve figures. A world of difference between that and bootlegging a whole figure taking sales away from Hot Toys or whichever company has made the original figure. Those buying custom capes aren't depriving HT of any money since you have to buy the figure to fit their new cape to in the first place.

The customizers are not exactly getting rich off them either. When you cost the materials and crucially the time they give up making them it won't be very lucrative. Creative people passionate about the hobby and helping out other collectors.

I'm not getting involved in this argument regarding the TM and Jaxon capes, I don't know the details and frankly don't care. Customizers are bound to copy each other to some degree the same way the big companies do. Be it cars, phones, consoles or whatever they all copy each other when they hit upon a good idea.

I shared the link and even I'm bored with everyone chiming in again and again on things they have no clue about. Time to move on.
All i cared about was that people were more well informed and just the fact that the link had 3,400 views, is good enough for me.
Here's some Batman Pictures for good measure.
cape7.jpg
cape2.jpg

Got it. Thanks for the heads up on Jaxon's illegitimacy. We'll take that into account before purchasing from him. Moving on.

Did you do any other mods at all in addition to the cape?

Yup this.
It's batmans cape, hot toys made it first, someone copied it and tried to improve on it - is copied infringed licensing laws and then someone else done it.
Forgive me if I'm incorrect but isn't this what "custom" capes and all other accessories file under.
Why gripe about having some choice
Thud

Hmm, I don't think people are quite understanding. The problem isn't with making a modded cape, for all intents and purposes they're not using exact likeness or exact material or exact cut, if anything they're just different capes that the person creating them thinks look better to the stock that comes with the figure, without selling or advertising as a liscenced product by Hot Toys or whatever. Anyone can create a bit of material to resemble the cape, a cape is a bit different to creating someone's likeness, as in their facial features. That's not the problem.

The problem at hand is someone using somebody else's work and claiming it as their own - Tony Mei isn't selling them as an official Batman cape, or as the exact likeness, sure; maybe as close to the representation on film perhaps, but selling it as an alternative cape without claiming it as Hot Toy's or anyone else's apart form his own version isn't bootlegging. These modded capes... well they're not even modded, they're just alternative capes, there's no bootlegging involved in it at all, so it's not thieves stealing from thieves in the slightest. It's somebody using someone else's work without their permission, and falsely advertising their own product through the appearance of someone else's.

In all honesty I don't care about modding or buying "better" versions. In my view anyone can create a bit of material to represent the cape better, and yeah, it's fair game for another customiser to imitate another's cape, especially with no liscencing or patent on it. However, that doesn't excuse using someone's else's photos and works to sell your own, and if do that you're a ****.

This is more of a statement og people using someone else's work at their own than taking sides on if someone did it to another person on here or not, I've not really looked at the post with pictures showing it, I don't really understand how it proves it as it's all in a language I don't understand.

@Gj1, I'm tempted to ask more about the camera but I know the more I ask the more I'll want one, as I need it more for taking photos of my artwork really. So in your opinion it doesn't so much matter about the camera but the lense you use?

You and weinman(?) take great photos!

Also as a sidenote I've never gotten a lot of people on various forums thinking a discussion should be moved on from like it's a waste of time. The discussion is based on capes people are buying for their Batman Hot Toy's, it's hardly off-topic. It'd be better for people just to ignore the discussion or posts in question rather than to feed them if you have an aversion so much to it. It's not like these threads expand in discussion tens and hundreds of pages each day. This topic has spanned two days and reached a couple of pages only, wouldn't have been much discussion otherwise that has been delayed by the current topic...

Hmm, I don't think people are quite understanding. The problem isn't with making a modded cape, for all intents and purposes they're not using exact likeness or exact material or exact cut, if anything they're just different capes that the person creating them thinks look better to the stock that comes with the figure, without selling or advertising as a liscenced product by Hot Toys or whatever. Anyone can create a bit of material to resemble the cape, a cape is a bit different to creating someone's likeness, as in their facial features. That's not the problem.

The problem at hand is someone using somebody else's work and claiming it as their own - Tony Mei isn't selling them as an official Batman cape, or as the exact likeness, sure; maybe as close to the representation on film perhaps, but selling it as an alternative cape without claiming it as Hot Toy's or anyone else's apart form his own version isn't bootlegging. These modded capes... well they're not even modded, they're just alternative capes, there's no bootlegging involved in it at all, so it's not thieves stealing from thieves in the slightest. It's somebody using someone else's work without their permission, and falsely advertising their own product through the appearance of someone else's.

In all honesty I don't care about modding or buying "better" versions. In my view anyone can create a bit of material to represent the cape better, and yeah, it's fair game for another customiser to imitate another's cape, especially with no liscencing or patent on it. However, that doesn't excuse using someone's else's photos and works to sell your own, and if do that you're a ****.

This is more of a statement og people using someone else's work at their own than taking sides on if someone did it to another person on here or not, I've not really looked at the post with pictures showing it, I don't really understand how it proves it as it's all in a language I don't understand.

Well said.

Me personally, my sentiments are not that of saying it was perfectly fine of Jaxon to use Tony Mei's pictures (if he indeed did), but my point is I don't see how it's so catastrophic and damaging to Tony Mei. Tony Mei's product are the capes themselves, not the pictures. Jaxon produces his own capes and if he wants to use pictures of someone else's cape to advertise his own, I frankly find that incredibly stupid because once the buyer receives his (Jaxon's) actual cape, they'll find out that it's not the cape that was advertised/pictured and that will hurt and damage Jaxon's reputation, not Tony Mei's. So why Jaxon would allegedly want to use pictures of another product to advertise his own product and put his own reputation at risk, is beyond me. It's more laughable than it is infuriating, even I were Tony Mei, because he's only damaging his own image.

If say someone were purchasing someone else's product at retail and then attempting to sell it for more while claiming that the actual product of that other person is indeed their own work, then yeah, I can see how that would be infuriating and damaging to the other person.

If Jaxon is indeed producing his own capes and Tony Mei is claiming that Jaxon ripped off of him, I also don't really understand how that's the case when many customs dealers are producing the same cape for the same figure, using relatively the same type of material to recreate the texture and look of the screen accurate cape. It's not like cutting a piece of fabric is some inside trade secret.

I don't plan on buying from either one of them though any time soon, so I'm done. :lol

@Gj1, I'm tempted to ask more about the camera but I know the more I ask the more I'll want one, as I need it more for taking photos of my artwork really. So in your opinion it doesn't so much matter about the camera but the lense you use?

You and weinman(?) take great photos!

Also as a sidenote I've never gotten a lot of people on various forums thinking a discussion should be moved on from like it's a waste of time. The discussion is based on capes people are buying for their Batman Hot Toy's, it's hardly off-topic. It'd be better for people just to ignore the discussion or posts in question rather than to feed them if you have an aversion so much to it. It's not like these threads expand in discussion tens and hundreds of pages each day. This topic has spanned two days and reached a couple of pages only, wouldn't have been much discussion otherwise that has been delayed by the current topic...

Tony Mei's Krypronite Spear wouldnt have existed if it hadnt been in the movie. If there was no movie spear, was Mei's original idea ti make a krypronite spear and someone like Jaxon would have used his photos then we wouldnt need GIJoe raging for him because we would know its an original Mei design. Im sure Mei didnt cut a check to WB for using their design to make a profit (however good intention it is to help the community). Its still intellectual property theft and in that game i dont think anyone has any leg to stand on complaining about other thieves. That said I have an 89 Batman Mei Cape and its great but if someone like Jaxon can offer similar quality for less im all for that also.

北京国安;9186545 said:
I never cared how many capes you physically made.

You still ended up using Tony Mei's pictures and denied it in the past because there wasn't any proof of it until these past few days. THAT was the issue I brought up.

But it's good you admitted it now.

Kudos. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You still ended up using Tony Mei's pictures and denied it in the past because there wasn't any proof of it until these past few days.

But it's good you admitted it now.

Kudos. [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not using pictures this time,live video is uploading[emoji846]I don't know you and I will never have to.You just look like an ant to my boots,just keeping frame on me I don't care

022e44b60228f2caf51562863f38f190.jpg

Back