Hot toys Batman Begins Toyfair exclusive Damage Report!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, always had a good impression of SS whenever I bought their star wars stuff :panic:

Im starting to think they're sabotaging HT products :horror :lol

Not really sabotaging since this is the first time SS release a lot of low QC figures of a certain HT character and also if there's one thing to blame, it's HT since SS are just distributors of these figures. Oh on second thought, you can also blame SS for their poor packaging when shipping. :lol

Opened mine:

-Wayne head rub
-slightly misshapen torso on right side
-boots seem fine although the left foot is a little loose compared to the right foot.

Man, is this thing a finger print/dust magnet or what?!?!? I don't remember the OC being this bad. Now I see why the figure looks so dull in some of the pics. Any handling and the thing really picks up hand oils and looks kinda used.

Not sure I'm gonna keep this one. The ankles are fine and the joints seem to be intact, got both knees fully bent, elbows, hips and even put both arms fully over his head, but not sure it's worth the scratch I paid.

If I keep mine I may end up hiding him inside the Tumbler. Otherwise I'd keep the new bits to add to MMS67 and sell the suit and cape. Have to get him first though.

That's what I'm thinking too A-Dev. Maybe just keep the Wayne head, the harness, the Batman head and weapons...just sell the body & cape.

I already have an OC & Tak Bats so this one may be overkill for me. Not sure there's enough up grades to justify the cost. The finish definitely seems subpar to the original. The suit is loose and adds to the posing but it's also thinner to achieve that range of motion.

I'll have to ask my brother what he thinks.

Got mine today, but can't say I'm all that impressed with it unfortunately.

The suit has a major crease in it, and a couple of dents and worn bits around the collar, but I could live with those I guess, especially as most were in largely 'hidden' areas. The cape on mine was an absolute nightmare to attach too, but I got there eventually. Took a lot of work though because the inside holes were clearly drilled too small for the pegs on the cape to even remotely fasten into.

Worse still, I couldn't attach the damn Batman head, as the socket connector was far too small and slightly warped, and whenever I tried to force it on it didn't have any give at all, despite a hell of a lot of force being used, and there was a real danger that it was going to end up damaging the collar of the suit (which already had dents and wear spots right out of the box). Kinda disappointing given that I purchased it primarily to display as Batman as well.

I Finally got the Bat head on the damn thing, but I have to say, if this is indicitive of the quality of Hot Toys Batman pieces, then I'm seriously considering cancelling the Keaton Batman now. And that's my favourite version of the character, so that's pretty telling of just how disappointed in this piece I am. Regardless, I'll still keep the Nicholson Joker, because I've never had any real issues with any of Hot Toys 'standard' figures, but this Batman, gotta say, very disappointing experience so far.

First up, I hate the rubber suit. Not just because mine has a major crease down the right hand side, and assorted dents in it, but it basically makes the figure useless from a posing point of view, as anything other than Batman standing in a 'waiting for the bus' pose puts clear pressure on the rubber, and risks creases and tears if kept in such a pose for any length of time. Plus it 'bunches' pretty ugly anyway when most articulation is used. So no dynamic or accessory using poses for this guy.

The build quality on mine was absolutely terrible too. As already mentioned, the pin holes for the cape were barely drilled, and had to be forcibly made larger just to be able to then get the cape on at all, and even then it was a major struggle and still had to be forced, hard. The Batman head connector was too small, and had to be 'worn' bigger before I could even get close to attaching the head, and even then, again, it took tremendous force to do so.

The cape is slightly uneven, so looks noticably crooked when attached. It, just like the rubber suit, is an absolute dust and particle magnet to a degree to which I have almost never seen before as well, and because I don't have any enclosed cabinets I think he's going to have to go back in the box soon for that very reason.

The magnetic switch out face plates? Nice idea, only mine don't seem to switch out, because the standard one in the head will not come out under any circumstance, almost as if it has been glued in there. Oh, and even though that would have been my faceplate of choice anyway, mine has a scratch on the chin, and a tiny black dot on one side to boot. You know, just in case I didn't already have enough issues with the piece I got already...

Hell, even the bat-grapple gun has sloppy paint apps on mine, one of the batarangs is poorly shaped, and there's a huge paint chip missing on the metal prongs on the stand. Oh, and did I mention that the Bruce head, one of the gauntlets, and a couple bits of the suit have visible 'shiny' spots on them? Or that he has weak ankles, so it is a risk trying to leave him standing without use of the stand, a stand that will dent the rubber over time if used anyway, so there seems to be no real safe choice as far as displaying him goes...

So yeah, I'm actually pretty disappointed in this piece. None of the issues with mine, taken individually, are likely to be seen as being quite bad enough to warrant replacement, nor very easy to show in photos to boot, so Sideshow isn't going to give me the time of day either, so I think I'm pretty much stuck with it as is.

And here's the thing, believe it or not, I'm not even all that picky compared to a lot of collectors I know. I don't expect absolute perfection, but nor do I expect myriad issues either. The rub spots on the suit, or the dents, or the worn areas around the rubber collar, I can live with them. A couple of minor issues I could have shrugged off. But all these issues added together, along with all the others I had right off the bat, and this piece just bums me out really. It just does not feel like money well spent. First buyers regret I have had in a long, long time in fact.

Ordinarily I'm a big Hot Toys fan, and while I never much liked the idea of rubber suits, I was willing to give it a chance, but now I have this one in hand, I like it even less, and it pretty much guaranteed that I wouldn't bother getting Hot Toys next TDK/TDKR Batman release. And with all the issues that mine has, it just magnifies any disatisfaction by a factor of ten. Yes, there's clearly some great sculpt work going on with this piece, yes, it still looks prety good on the shelf now I've actually got the head and cape attached (something that took me more than two hours to do!), but it doesn't wow me as much as I'd hoped, and for me, with all the issues mine had/still has, I just don't know if 'looks pretty cool still' is enough at the end of the day. I certainly don't feel like it is right now, that's for sure.

Anyway, just had to rant, as I was really looking forward to this piece, but the reality of the final product just did not meet expectations, not in my case at least.

Well said Ex-Patriot. This figure has fallen short of what I expected from all the Hot Toys ____ riding on the forum. But this is my first 1/6 Batman so I guess I'll put up with and keep this. I hope they will do something about the head rubs and loose ankle/boot peg holes.

If Enterbay pushes out a very good 1/4 OC Batman, I'm selling this and I guess I'll only pick up some of the 1/4 TDKR from Hot Toys if it looks good.

Unfortunately as the prices continue to rise, the quality control has continued to fall.

Always seems to be the way with any company like this that finds great success, and then ramps up to cash in on the demand, no doubt cutting corners along the way just to be able to get it all done. Seems to be a vicious circle. And unfortunately it is the customers and collectors that end up suffering for it.

I also had a problem putting the batman head on. I found out that if I took the neck joint plug it into the body first, it makes it easier to plug the actual head on it.

Glad that I came here for ideas, 'cause I still need to check if I can switch out the head on my figure without a problem.

Posted this also in the other bats thread.

I had a closer look at the bats, and as far as I'm concerned the to puffy right upper arm, and the 'crooked' right kneecap are no defects. In regards of the arm, the suit is just formed that way. The position of that arm is different from the left arm if you check. The biceps looks ok when the arm is in a 'relaxed' pose, but when you bent the right underarm upward, the biceps looks funny. Inevitable, I guess. It's a result of the shape of the suit.
And the same counts for the kneecap. if you take a closer look at the suit, you'll see that the suit is made in a way that the leg is slightly aligned to the right. The kneecap just follows that direction. The suit is made in a pose that the figure is resting on his left leg, and therefore the right leg is slightly going to the right. If you pose the right foot a bit to the right (about 40°-45°), the left foot a bit to the left (20° maybe), you'll see it. Give the figure a relaxed stand, then you'll see what I mean, and then the kneecap doesn't look crooked any more. It is also clearly visible when you have a look at the back of the suit. It's just the way the suit is made.

Like Ex-Parrot said: Batman is waiting for the bus.

Man, is this thing a finger print/dust magnet or what?!?!? I don't remember the OC being this bad. Now I see why the figure looks so dull in some of the pics. Any handling and the thing really picks up hand oils and looks kinda used.

I know exactly what you mean.

I'm really OCD when it comes to high end figures and I tend to wash my hands thoroughly before touching any of my collectibles.

When I opened this up, my hands were perfectly clean, no oil at all and the suit STILL ended up having smudges when I touched it. I thought that was odd.

The suit is just a tacky piece of ____. I compared it to the OC and it's clearly not the same rubber. It's thin, picks up dust and other particles easily and just feels like ____. If you feel your OC suit there's this rubber padding between the suit and true type body. Its basically made of thicker rubber that moves with poses in the abs, thighs and biceps. With this one that feeling is pretty much nonexistent. There's a small bit in the abs but the rest is just a thin, piece of ____. I would imagine that's why the rubber suit bunches up so easily and look like a used garbage bag.

What a piece of ____.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm glad I cancelled this just in time! If the hardcore Batman fans here are disappointed I can imagine how I would feel!

I'm really OCD when it comes to high end figures and I tend to wash my hands thoroughly before touching any of my collectibles.

When I opened this up, my hands were perfectly clean, no oil at all and the suit STILL ended up having smudges when I touched it. I thought that was odd.

The suit is just a tacky piece of ____. I compared it to the OC and it's clearly not the same rubber. It's thin, picks up dust and other particles easily and just feels like ____. If you feel your OC suit there's this rubber padding between the suit and true type body. Its basically made of thicker rubber that moves with poses in the abs, thighs and biceps. With this one that feeling is pretty much nonexistent. There's a small bit in the abs but the rest is just a thin, piece of ____. I would imagine that's why the rubber suit bunches up so easily and look like a used garbage bag.

What a piece of ____.

Yeah, I wanted to break out the armor-all on this bad boy cause the smudges were driving me crazy! I know armor all will destroy the rubber but man this is the worst I've seen!

The suit is thinner and baggy...not their best work to say the least. I have Hellboy, Sarah Conner, Billy Sole, OC Bats, TDK bats, DX Bats and Demon Bats and NONE of them are this bad! :horror

Last edited:

What a piece of ____.

Agreed! We get this for almost double the price of the original release Batman Begins figure:mad:

I guess I am one of the lucky ones, the ab on the figure has a slight indentation but it's not a deal breaker. I will say that the QA from Hot Toys has always been hit or miss. But I do agree if prices continue to rise then so should the quality. My only complaint is with the neck adapter, seems off center. I dunno, either way I am keeping it. Might sell my DX02 though.

Some people must just get really dried out suits or something. The texture and color of mine is practically identical to my OC.

OC on left, new one on right.
DSC_0162.jpg

Wow, the more I hear of all these complaints the more I want to keep mine. It's starting to look like a rare gem. Not one of those problems with mine.

My head has about 20% of what you're showing there, a thin line that's closer to the brow. So, this is an issue that clearly varies from person to person. I wonder if there's a way to slightly scuff it without damaging the paint.

Back