Hot Toys Avengers: Infinity War - Infinity Gauntlet Life-Size Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gaunt.jpg

I got ya buddy

For some reason I can't seem to be able to post pics.

Hot Toys secret base revealed the size of the box and had news pics of the product... Looks like the video we saw really is the final product.

If that really was the final product, my guess is that most of the stated weight is probably the base......and box.

And I really hope those measurements are wrong, as why would it be a square box? And if it's accurate it'll be the biggest single box I've ever received, and I've ordered everything from 1/10 to 1/2 scale pieces.

And worse thing I won't be able to fit that box in my car. I'll have to break the box down :gah:

It don't fit in your back seat?

Nope.

In order to fit, it'll have to be at max 75 x 50cm. As I've previously just been able to fit 70 x 45cm through the door, with just a fingers space or so, but I didn't like the sound it was making on the leather. And this is in a Holden Calais/Commodore, which isn't exactly known for being small.

Does this mean we are getting it earlier, I thought the shipment date was early 2019?
Glad pop culture does free shipping.

Free shipping is always good.

At current exchange rates I think I got this about $100 USD cheaper from Popcultcha than the USD cost direct from Sideshow even before the ridiculous shipping and duty costs to send it here.

Any measurements of the base? The cabinet I have can fit the actual Gauntlet but the base may be a problem.

There is a 35 picture album on FB of someone unboxing this. Looks freaking amazing. Great finish, looking just like the movie. This thing is absolutely massive!

Facebook LINK

42234498_680120595707926_2949071429020155904_n.jpg

But as we all suspected this is going to be as light as hell, which is somewhat disappointing.

However given that I plan to probably place this on a small IKEA floating shelf, it probably helps it being light as a feather.

Re: Hot Toys - Life Size Infinity Gauntlet

Who cares how heavy it is? How would that improve the piece?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Who cares how heavy it is? How would that improve the piece?

That's the same question that has been applied to all statues, when the question of what materials they're being made from.

The answer being that it probably doesn't. It's more or less a psychological thing.

But that doesn't stop a large portion of collectors (me included) who want their statue pieces etc to have a bit of heft to them.

This is meant to be a replica of what I can only assume is a metal like Gauntlet.

Though I'm not even sure this was ever made for the studio, but I wouldn't be surprised if during filming they had a stand in prop made out of a variety of materials.

But as I also said, I'm not sure I really care in the end how much it weighs considering how I plan to display this piece.

That's the same question that has been applied to all statues, when the question of what materials they're being made from.

The answer being that it probably doesn't. It's more or less a psychological thing.

But that doesn't stop a large portion of collectors (me included) who want their statue pieces etc to have a bit of heft to them.

This is meant to be a replica of what I can only assume is a metal like Gauntlet.

Though I'm not even sure this was ever made for the studio, but I wouldn't be surprised if during filming they had a stand in prop made out of a variety of materials.

But as I also said, I'm not sure I really care in the end how much it weighs considering how I plan to display this piece.

Even the actual gauntlet couldn't have been made so heavy that wearing it would be a struggle.

I think collectors need to be realistic about things like this. This is SUCH a large piece, and such a large portion of it (the forearm) is just empty space that filling it just to make it heavier would have been unwieldy. It likely came down to a matter of practicality ; either its too light, or too heavy.

The majority of collectors.

Yeah, but why? Do you have an actual reason why, if a piece looks great on display, you think it's better if it weighs a ton?

How often do you pick up your statues? Once in a while to dust or move them? I mean, you aren't playing with them, right? If you have friends over and they admire your collection, do you invite them to pick stuff up so they can see how heavy it is?

Even the actual gauntlet couldn't have been made so heavy that wearing it would be a struggle.

I think collectors need to be realistic about things like this. This is SUCH a large piece, and such a large portion of it (the forearm) is just empty space that filling it just to make it heavier would have been unwieldy. It likely came down to a matter of practicality ; either its too light, or too heavy.

Yeah, but why? Do you have an actual reason why, if a piece looks great on display, you think it's better if it weighs a ton?

How often do you pick up your statues? Once in a while to dust or move them? I mean, you aren't playing with them, right? If you have friends over and they admire your collection, do you invite them to pick stuff up so they can see how heavy it is?

As mentioned it's a psychological thing. When we say statue etc, most of us include weight into the equation. It's just something a lot of us do, whether it makes sense to you or not. If it didn't matter every high end statue would be made out of pvc and vinyl, but they're obviously not, as most high end manufacturers know the kind of response they'll get. Honestly if all the statues that I currently have in my collection were made out of vinyl etc, I probably wouldn't have purchased a large portion of them.

Regarding the gauntlet I'm not surprised it's light, especially when light functionality is added to the build. But honestly until I get it in hand, maybe I should hold off until I give my final opinion on the matter.

If it didn't matter every high end statue would be made out of pvc and vinyl, but they're obviously not, as most high end manufacturers know the kind of response they'll get. Honestly if all the statues that I currently have in my collection were made out of vinyl etc, I probably wouldn't have purchased a large portion of them.

They don't make high-end statues out of polystone solely for the weight. They do it because it's cheaper than vinyl if you're not mass-producing the product, and at these price-points, they're not going to be mass-produced. Other factors like the shape of the figure, where the weight distribution and stress points are also factor into what material is best. Vinyl and PVC can be softer, but polystone is more brittle.

So my next question is, if it's purely psychological, wouldn't gluing some sandbags inside the gauntlet for heft solve the problem? ;)

They don't make high-end statues out of polystone solely for the weight. They do it because it's cheaper than vinyl if you're not mass-producing the product, and at these price-points, they're not going to be mass-produced. Other factors like the shape of the figure, where the weight distribution and stress points are also factor into what material is best. Vinyl and PVC can be softer, but polystone is more brittle.

So my next question is, if it's purely psychological, wouldn't gluing some sandbags inside the gauntlet for heft solve the problem? ;)

I totally understand that the mold's created for vinyl etc are supposed to be cost prohibitive at low edition sizes, but my 'assumption' is that manufactures would probably still be ahead given that the Polystone etc weight could be a high cost factor for shipping where dimensional weights may not be utilised; there would probably be less breakages etc, and manufactures like Sideshow have from time to time stated the great benefits of vinyl etc.

But using sandbags doesn't really solve the issue, as I would know the sandbags were there! But your idea is probably not that far from the truth. There have been photos of various statues that have been posted on various threads showing broken statues with various odds and ends thrown into the body cavities of statues for possibly that very reason!?

Remember that Jurassic Park line?
"Is it heavy? Then its expensive put them down"

For me its about the money we pay for these things, this is not cheap, so when I tap it I don't want it to sound like its plastic. I know its not realistic for this to be made out of Polystone, but still I want some weight to it.

Its like Thor's hammer, I could never buy a plastic one with little weight to it, heaps on the market right? A decent one sets you back over $1,000, nice and heavy. Thats what I would imagine this to be, otherwise why didn't we just buy the NECA one and save $400.

Back