Hot Toys announces 'The Child' is coming in 1/6, 1/4 AND Lifesize versions!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I honestly don’t think it’s that this time around. Within 4 days, we’ve seen Sideshow’s life-size statue and now this announcement, but, additionally, in the last week, I’ve seen both Bottleneck Gallery and Mondo both either release or tease high end screen prints of “The Child.” I can only surmise, but it seems to me like an embargo being lifted on high end merchandise, as prior to this, it was all Hasbro/Funko stuff and, in less than a week, we have multiple new products from multiple different companies shown off or teased.

They don't even have anything to show. Why exactly are they announcing this so early except to try to undercut someone else. With the shameless reissues and now this Hot Toys are behaving like they are a broke company in desperate need to money.

Will I be able to ask SS to change my order to HT Life Size once it goes up?

Are you joking? Why rush to pre order something that will not immediately sell out? rush and pre order something then quickly decide you don't want it anymore is a very immature way of going about things.

I never pre order anything within the first few weeks. Most things I wait several months or until I see the low stock warning. Sometimes I even wait to see the in hand pictures before ordering. That's why I never have to contact these companies to demand they refund my nrd.

Not sure if people know, but the Sideshow one is actually made by the same FX company that make the puppet for the show; Legacy Effects.

No doubt the HT will be good, but the only way the "SSC" release won't be good is if they screw the (mass) manufacturing and it's no where near the prototype.

Hot Toys announcement today did smack of desperation to get in on, what appears to be, the quite successful reception of SSCs announcement.

Not that there was any doubt they would, but I'm glad they didn't wait too long to confirm that they're also doing a life size foundling... It's hilarious to see the salt on facebook less than 2 days after sideshows reveal.

No salt here. I'll happily get both if the Hot Toys reveal looks good.

Yeah it definitely seems like they're trying to undercut Sideshow with this announcement, especially when they don't have anything to actually preview yet. Lol

They definitely seem to be competing here. That can?t be a bad thing tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way would I cancel my Sideshow 1:1 based on this HT announcement. I have the 1:1 Yoda and despite what many say on the forum, it's a knockout piece in person and looks very much like the original prototype they showed. I don't have the Legacy scale Yoda, but it's been universally praised. I think they'll nail this and if HT nails their 1:1 as well, I guess maybe I'll have two. HT would have to come with something pretty outstanding though as the Sideshow version is the pose I'd probably put a poseable one in anyway...

Based on this announcement, do you guys think HT will actually do a standalone 1/6? For sure it will come with cradle. I think it'll be around 2"? It will need articulation. I don't know if the material will be strong enough for changeable hands given the size of the limbs.

The salt is ridiculous. People have grievances with Sideshow for sure, but I do not really understand it. The bottom line is that the Sideshow version is made by Legacy Effects, who actually created the screen used puppet for Baby Yoda. This means that clothing patterns, molds, etc are all going to be true to what we saw in the show. The only outlier with Sideshow is how it will hold up in production in terms of paint quality.

Hot Toys makes quality stuff, but their life size Baby Yoda will be more of an interpretation than a more direct replica. But with that being said I am really hoping for a different expression. There is room in my world for both of these.

Not sure if people know, but the Sideshow one is actually made by the same FX company that make the puppet for the show; Legacy Effects.

No doubt the HT will be good, but the only way the "SSC" release won't be good is if they screw the (mass) manufacturing and it's no where near the prototype.

Why are folks (general commentary, not ditecting at you two specifically, you all just point out some things I want to discuss) so fast to suddenly give SS so much credit here? Perhaps because they already have put down a deposit? Perhaps even naively so thinking it was HT? I suspect the salt has more to do with "I didn't think HT would make one so I bought into SS's half-heartedly, but I won't admit that now".

They've shown nothing to prove that this product will come out to the standard they are advertising. They deserve their share of scrutiny based on their incredibly inconsistent production history. Even with Legacy Effects on board for the molds and templates, it all can still go to hell in production, as have a great number of SS products. LE being a partner on the project likely means little beyond "these are the repros of the molds we used to make the screen props".

It's very good marketing, though. It sounds really good. But just because you have the tools at your disposal doesn't mean you can properly use them.

All that to be said, I would blindly take HT's "interpretation" over Sideshow's promise of a Legacy Effects backed product, simply because there's no reliable track record from Sideshow's production. If SS kills it and brings a genuine, quality product then I would have no problem giving them my money. But they have not earned my trust for that.

Competition is a good thing for us customers. Now, if SSC can pump out a few quality 1/6 aliens.

But that would take them actually thinking ahead. SS has had what, 5-6 years since HT has started Star Wars? SS was poised perfectly to go in and tackle B/C list characters, EU content, creature work, Clone Wars, and perhaps most lucratively, environments. These are their strengths. Sideshow could have literally become the best 1/6 Star Wars companion piece producer and they've squandered it.

Lmao... HT has no chill. It could just be an embargo thing, but the fact they have no pics and just an announcement screams them being blindsided by SS. They're just putting something out there to torpedo the SS preorders. I know that if I preordered yesterday, I would be having immediate buyers remorse. SS protos never look the same as the retail version.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why are folks (general commentary, not ditecting at you two specifically, you all just point out some things I want to discuss) so fast to suddenly give SS so much credit here? Perhaps because they already have put down a deposit? Perhaps even naively so thinking it was HT? I suspect the salt has more to do with "I didn't think HT would make one so I bought into SS's half-heartedly, but I won't admit that now".

They've shown nothing to prove that this product will come out to the standard they are advertising. They deserve their share of scrutiny based on their incredibly inconsistent production history. Even with Legacy Effects on board for the molds and templates, it all can still go to hell in production, as have a great number of SS products. LE being a partner on the project likely means little beyond "these are the repros of the molds we used to make the screen props".

It's very good marketing, though. It sounds really good. But just because you have the tools at your disposal doesn't mean you can properly use them.

All that to be said, I would blindly take HT's "interpretation" over Sideshow's promise of a Legacy Effects backed product, simply because there's no reliable track record from Sideshow's production. If SS kills it and brings a genuine, quality product then I would have no problem giving them my money. But they have not earned my trust for that.

Can anyone list some examples of Sideshow drop-offs from proto to production? I know way back a Rogue statue was a scandal. Thanos IMO looks pretty good. A recent Wonder Woman has a paint job that isn't horrible but not like the proto, and that it was a toss-up re their Court of the Dead Queen would have properly placed back tats. But IMO their Captain Marvel is stunning.

For figs - IMO Boba looks pretty good. I've got Sideshow's Jawas on order even tho I KNOW there's plenty of complaints about weak joints, so the epoxy is ready.:monkey3 They will be my first SS figs.

Hot Toys makes quality stuff, but their life size Baby Yoda will be more of an interpretation than a more direct replica. But with that being said I am really hoping for a different expression. There is room in my world for both of these.

Dunno their Bucky and Shuri are mind blowing. Holding on - for whatever reason assumed any life size version I would have would articulate - wasn't thinking - e.g. the statues of Thanos' gauntlet don't. But I would miss a life size version not being able to do arm/head poses. But not if the portrait is off.:panic::panic::panic:

But that would take them actually thinking ahead. SS has had what, 5-6 years since HT has started Star Wars? SS was poised perfectly to go in and tackle B/C list characters, EU content, creature work, Clone Wars, and perhaps most lucratively, environments. These are their strengths. Sideshow could have literally become the best 1/6 Star Wars companion piece producer and they've squandered it.

My thoughts exactly!! Good post!

Glad to see HT officially getting into the game. I preordered the SSC Child and will keep that version (can't beat the authenticity of Legacy Effects) but look forward to seeing what HT does in 1/4 and 1/6 scale.

I'm not sure if it's a licencing issue. They will have to up their game big time but at the end of the day, competition is good for us customers.

For the record, I still don't have a SS figure

Lmao... HT has no chill. It could just be an embargo thing, but the fact they have no pics and just an announcement screams them being blindsided by SS. They're just putting something out there to torpedo the SS preorders. I know that if I preordered yesterday, I would be having immediate buyers remorse. SS protos never look the same as the retail version.

There's no sense in having buyer's remorse over a no show announcement. Who knows when (if ever) the Hot Toys one will get a PO.

There's no sense in having buyer's remorse over a no show announcement. Who knows when (if ever) the Hot Toys one will get a PO.

That is exactly right. Also I have no buyers remorse here, I will absolutely without hesitation buy both versions. Sideshow has been known to botch production the most on their 1/6 figures over other things. Take a look at the Legendary Scale yoda that they released. The final product is great... and that ia fair item to compare because the scale between that and baby yoda are pretty similar.

Back