1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Boba Fett ESB Version

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always imagined Fett as more of a cold calculating type as well, not that he couldn't handle himself in a fight, but that he relied more on his witts and skill than anything else. The original voice in ESB gives off this dark intelligence that lends itself to seeing Fett in this way. Morrison's Fett comes off as less of a thinker, but who knows what's still to come. It's certainly a different Fett than I imagined growing up, but at least he's alive and in new stories.

Funny enough, I've actually been quite pleased with Morrison's performance in The Mandalorian versus his previous (voice-over) portrayals of Boba Fett in video games and the like. Before, he basically used the same tone of voice he used in his performance as Jango; in The Mandalorian he seems to be using a harsher, more gravelly tone that reminds me of Jason Wingreen a little more. I agree that his body language seems a bit different, but it doesn't bother me too much. Wingreen's performance will always be my favorite, but Morrison's done fine.

Wish he's keep the helmet on more, but oh well. I also wish he and Din had a more antagonistic relationship; I wasn't a fan of them being friends so quickly. In my mind, Boba Fett is the inverse of Din Djarin. Din is honorable to a fault and puts morality and his people's code first, whereas Fett is a creature of pure pragmatism. Having Boba Fett offer to help Din out of kindness still kinda bugs me; I wish we could have gotten a western showdown between the two. All of that is writing related, though, and has nothing to do with Morrison.

I think that Fennik and Boba are up to something.

When they are talking about breaking into the Imperial refinery, they mention anti-aircraft canons, and Mando says ?So we go in quiet? at 00:06:12 on the timecode. And right at that point both Fennik and Boba shoot a glance at each other like they know something or realized something that they didn?t share with the rest of the group.

Here?s the screen grab of them looking at each other. It?s just a second.

c71d22c73043383bbd1a3867514c0a8c.plist

The only reason I think that means something is because that?s the only time in the episode that Fett has his helmet off. This would be required for them to look at each other. If he had his helmet on you wouldn?t be sure where Fett was looking.

It?s also important to keep I n mind that Fennik is a grade A assasin, on par with Fett. They are in a whole other league. So I think that Fennik was on Tatooine because of Fett. I don?t think Fett just found and rescued her. And we know Fett isn?t a good guy. I don?t necessarily think he?s evil or anything, but he?s also not one of the good guys, ?just a simple man trying to make his way in the universe.?

The question is, what are they up to.

Maybe it?s nothing. I don?t know. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found it odd last episode when Mayfield looked terrified seeing Fett, then relaxed when he realized it wasn?t Din.

To be fair, it's been 5 years since RoTJ; most people who would've been aware of him probably think he's dead. Mayfeld was still in Imperial service until after Endor; he probably wasn't a part of circles where Fett would've been well known until after Fett's brief removal from the bounty hunting profession.

I am still trying to wrap my head around the idea of a Fett who not only works with other people, but has a female hunter living on his ship with him. Wow! This is a first. Or almost a first..... Fett, tolerating other people. Not complaining about this, mind you! Its just freaking me out a bit, how NICE this version of Fett is.

As for his abilities, he was trained by Jango and its hard to imagine a more calculating guy. So i expect Boba to be calculating. But his melee skills are not slacking either, and i expect THAT from the books be they current canon or not.

Maybe it doesn't fit with his EU portrayal, but that stuff doesn't really count anymore. Based on his brief OT appearances I can easily imagine that guy living by a certain code like Mando does. Plus there's the fact he's helping out a Mandalorian and not some random bounty hunter.

First off, i need to say that i feel A LOT better hearing you guys weigh in. I felt like i was a boat adrift in a sea of fett freak out. Secondly, it probably shouldn't surprise me that a group of people so hell bent on accuracy, whether in costume or in posing, would see with a different set of eyes from most people. With so little given in the OT, soooo much of fett has been reading between the lines, and i think we're a unique lot (probably the shared reason we all ended up in this hobby) that really home in on the subtleties. And i think that's a skill we celebrate and cultivate. Some here are more handy with technical mods, some with creative solutions, some paints, some posing, and we all try to gather these tidbits from eachother, and it's cool. You guys - you're cool. I like you. I appreciate all the things you psychos bring and the intelligent conversations we can all have.

Must admit I'm a little confused at people being surprised by a character change in Boba......how can you assess his character from Empire and Jedi? There really aren't much more canon stories about him. Clone wars pretty much being the majority of it. He seems consistent with my vision of the character, he's a bounty hunter, a mercenary, just like Din. So, if you can identify with the Mandalorian being likeable or honorable, despite being in exactly the same profession, I'm not sure why Boba should be less so?

Jango wasn't particularly one for keeping his helmet on and also flew Slave 1 without it, so I would see no reason why Boba would always be covering up his face.

The Mandalorian is comfortably the best slice of Star Wars since 2005.

I'm as old school a star wars fan as there is. I saw New Hope before it was new hope at the cinema in 1977. I saw them all at the cinema as many times as i could.....i saw Jedi at the cinema in 1983 three times in one day (my mum made me sandwiches). I've lived and loved all aspects of star wars (well....almost all.....those sequels are just dismal) for 43 years.

Why am I saying this......because I'm not understanding any of the criticism of Fett's portrayal in the Mandalorian, it's been great so far, and I'm not a fan who won't criticise and just lap up everything stamped "star wars", there is an increasing amount of star wars that I haven't enjoyed.

I've always been a Fett fan(atic) and I have a house full of various figures at every scale form 3.75 inch to 1/4 scale, along with vintage, modern, model and lego versions of Slave 1. Getting Temeura to play Fett was 100% the right thing to do. After Attack of the Clone's, he IS Boba Fett, it would have been nuts to pass on the opportunity to cast him. I am also one of those seemingly rare things, an attack of the clones fan, with Jango being my favourite element of the film (possibly of the prequel trilogy).

The last two episodes of Mandalorian have been my favourites just because of the characters inclusion and I will be first in line to buy the hot toys when it surfaces. He looks bad ass.

I suspect most of the criticism here may be due to the various EU tales and comics written.....I've read those too, but i prefer this depiction as it promises to give him a more rounded character.

Funny enough, I've actually been quite pleased with Morrison's performance in The Mandalorian versus his previous (voice-over) portrayals of Boba Fett in video games and the like. Before, he basically used the same tone of voice he used in his performance as Jango; in The Mandalorian he seems to be using a harsher, more gravelly tone that reminds me of Jason Wingreen a little more. I agree that his body language seems a bit different, but it doesn't bother me too much. Wingreen's performance will always be my favorite, but Morrison's done fine.

Wish he's keep the helmet on more, but oh well. I also wish he and Din had a more antagonistic relationship; I wasn't a fan of them being friends so quickly. In my mind, Boba Fett is the inverse of Din Djarin. Din is honorable to a fault and puts morality and his people's code first, whereas Fett is a creature of pure pragmatism. Having Boba Fett offer to help Din out of kindness still kinda bugs me; I wish we could have gotten a western showdown between the two. All of that is writing related, though, and has nothing to do with Morrison.

I fully agree. All of the versions of Fett that I remember seeing, he would not have some code about "we said we would help, so we're in it till the end" (or whatever he said). In all versions, he seems more like the type who would do whatever suits him and pays him more. Like he would have been more likely to just kill the Mandalorian and take the baskar spear, and move on with his life.
I feel like they are just making him a "good guy" due to his popularity. Which if that is the case, once again shows that modern film/tv producers and writers don't understand what made the character popular in the first place.

That's why I'm hoping that they're taking a page from Fett's behavior in the animated Holiday Special where he merely pretended to be friendly to Luke and Chewie before turning on them at the end.

But I agree, TM's new voice is much easier to accept. Even if he has a different physique I'm just trying to look at it in the same way that we had two separate Emperors for over 20 years. We were always perfectly fine having ROTJ Emperor look and sound nothing like the hologram in ESB. Two Emperors, different but both cool.

It's just one of those things we roll with in Star Wars. Wedge was played by two actors in the same movie. Major Derlin (John Ratzenberger) had different voices for different lines "Your Highness, there's nothing more we can do tonight. The shield doors must be closed" voiced by one actor while "all right everyone to your stations, let's go!" being his own voice. Lot's of weird little things like that.

So if Mando Fett continues to be cool I'll still watch the original theatrical ESB with Wingreen's voice and then just accept Morrison's voice whenever I watch Mando.

Yes the best case scenario is for everything to sync up seamlessly but I can accept differences if both versions are cool.

Last edited:
I?m finding that a lot of people seem to have hallucinated who Boba Fett was in ESB and RotJ. We only know a few lines of dialogue, and what his costume looked like. All this stuff about him being the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, and being this ruthless calculated amoral badass. None of that was in the movies. He?s smart to have thought Solo would hide the Falcon in the garbage purge, that was clever. Most the other stuff we know is from merchandising. I think a lot of it came from **** they made up for the Topps trading cards.

To be honest we are actually learning about Boba Fett right now for the first time on The Mandalorian. He was always more of a plot device that a character.

Whenever I mention Boba Fett and his popularity my wife just says ?who? to be a jerk.

At the end of the day we really just like Boba Fett because ILM spent an inordinate amount of time developing his costume, and It worked, we all love him.

I?m finding that a lot of people seem to have hallucinated who Boba Fett was in ESB and RotJ. We only know a few lines of dialogue, and what his costume looked like. All this stuff about him being the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, and being this ruthless calculated amoral badass. None of that was in the movies. He?s smart to have thought Solo would hide the Falcon in the garbage purge, that was clever. Most the other stuff we know is from merchandising. I think a lot of it came from **** they made up for the Topps trading cards.

To be honest we are actually learning about Boba Fett right now for the first time on The Mandalorian. He was always more of a plot device that a character.

Whenever I mention Boba Fett and his popularity my wife just says ?who? to be a jerk.

At the end of the day we really just like Boba Fett because ILM spent an inordinate amount of time developing his costume, and It worked, we all love him.

This has been covered many times in recent days. ESB and ROTJ showed plenty of his character and how he operated. Did Boushh "honor the code" of the posted 25,000 credit bounty on Chewie? No, she threatened to murder an entire room full of random musicians and dancers if Jabba didn't give her more than what was promised and Fett gave her a nod of respect! Why? Because he was an amoral badass, that's why.

You may have simply liked him only because of the costume and that's fine but don't think that that you speak for the rest of us.

I really appreciate this portrayal of Fett, and much prefer it to what might've been a contest of egos or a villainous turn.

People change. Boba Fett even calls himself "wretched." What he went through at and after the Battle of the Great Pit of Carkoon was a humbling experience, including losing his armor and reputation.

But even that aside, even in the Expanded Universe portrayals, Boba Fett was developed to have a strong sense of honor, justice, and moral obligation. Both as a Mandalorian, and someone who considered himself a skilled professional.

He did have a code of honor that was important to him. He was cunning and could be ruthless and cold, but he preferred to take contracts that did not go against that code, despite taking lucrative contracts for the Empire.

His reputation was very important to him. A bounty hunter's reputation and word are everything. You get the big contracts by being reliable, trusted not to make a mess of things. A bounty hunter is not necessarily an assassin and does not have to be fully without morals or remorse.

So I can certainly see himself honoring a code and obligation to a fellow bounty hunter, and perhaps feeling sympathetic for a stolen foundling with everything he went through in his youth, career, and fall.

Temuera Morrison speaks very positively about his discussions with Favreau and Filoni, and how much backstory and character development they worked on together. Morrison said he was able to give input, and really seems to appreciate the honorable way Fett conducts himself.

Quote: Still, as dangerous and deadly as Boba Fett is in "The Tragedy," he also emerges as something else: sympathetic and honorable. While bounty hunters aren't necessarily villains, the Fett of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi was definitely an antagonist. Here, Favreau, Filoni, Rodriguez, and Morrison accomplish a great feat in giving us more of Boba's background - his father was indeed a Mandalorian, and that armor is rightly his - while showing that he has a code. When Fett gets his armor back, he doesn't run away. He continues to help the Mandalorian, promising to fulfill his debt that the Child, abducted by dark troopers, will be returned safely. In these moments, Fett becomes less a volcano, more a cowboy hero. "I think that's where I come into it," Morrison says. "In bringing that humanity and keeping it kind of simple. Giving him values."

https://www.starwars.com/news/temuera-morrison-the-mandalorian-interview

This has been covered many times in recent days. ESB and ROTJ showed plenty of his character and how he operated. Did Boushh "honor the code" of the posted 25,000 credit bounty on Chewie? No, she threatened to murder an entire room full of random musicians and dancers if Jabba didn't give her more than what was promised and Fett gave her a nod of respect! Why? Because he was an amoral badass, that's why.

You may have simply liked him only because of the costume and that's fine but don't think that that you speak for the rest of us.

Yeah stuff like Vader stopping in front of Fett and even pointing at him with an emphasized "no disintegrations" is a set-up reveal of Fett's reputation.

Also the fact that he's so arrogant that he comes up to stand alongside Vader in the banquet room (even that he's there at all says something - Vader allowing it,) and Vader doesn't have an issue with this rifle-toting bounty hunter right beside him - says there's a code in place he understands (it's reinforced later with Fett's bow to Vader when Vader says "he's all yours.") As the doors close, Fett doesn't just stand there as he had been, he actually directly aims his rifle at Han as he enters and Vader sits.

Lando's concerned look at Fett as they hear Han's screams - basically met with "meh" - or Fett's super-arrogant "he's no good to me dead" fired right back at Vader, the most feared guy in the galaxy. Even stuff like Fett ready to point-blank kill Chewy in the carbon freeze chamber - with only Vader stopping him - says a lot (as does Fett's sideways glance at Vader after his rifle is pushed down, as if he's just learned something about Vader.)

And when Luke arrives, you get Fett's subtle head-turn in the hallway (he knows Luke has just arrived on Bespin, and knows he's a threat and may try to stop the transfer of Han,) yet he doesn't engage Luke in a gunfight - he wants to warn him off and take his prize; this isn't Fett's fight.

And yeah in ROTJ he's ready to kill Boushh but then gives that nod when some badassery has been demonstrated. Fett's death is certainly mishandled - you even see Luke air-kick the same Jabba goon twice both when Fett fires at Luke and Fett's flying. But some of what Fett does in the lead-up is at least fun and could have been badass: jetpacking over to the skiff to join the fight, his rifle sliced in half the instant before he can kill Luke, using one of his gizmos with the cables.

His lame scream/flailing limbs, missing Luke by a mile with his carefully aimed gauntlet blaster, and the Sarlacc burp are for another conversation.:lol

It was clear to me in ESB that he was calculating and even came off as being a few steps ahead of the empire HENCE Vader actually having to tell him not to use disintegration in his own attempt at keeping up with the psycho’s next move.

Yes psycho.

A calculating strategizing cunning psycho.

ESB Fett didn’t give af who his employer was he was his own man and I like how he had a strategy on how to deal with an established evil Jedi and also a young naive Luke.

Last edited:
Yeah stuff like Vader stopping in front of Fett and even pointing at him with an emphasized "no disintegrations" is a set-up reveal of Fett's reputation.

Also the fact that he's so arrogant that he comes up to stand alongside Vader in the banquet room (even that he's there at all says something - Vader allowing it,) and Vader doesn't have an issue with this rifle-toting bounty hunter right beside him - says there's a code in place he understands (it's reinforced later with Fett's bow to Vader when Vader says "he's all yours.") As the doors close, Fett doesn't just stand there as he had been, he actually directly aims his rifle at Han as he enters and Vader sits.

Lando's concerned look at Fett as they hear Han's screams - basically met with "meh" - or Fett's super-arrogant "he's no good to me dead" fired right back at Vader, the most feared guy in the galaxy. Even stuff like Fett ready to point-blank kill Chewy in the carbon freeze chamber - with only Vader stopping him - says a lot (as does Fett's sideways glance at Vader after his rifle is pushed down, as if he's just learned something about Vader.)

And when Luke arrives, you get Fett's subtle head-turn in the hallway (he knows Luke has just arrived on Bespin, and knows he's a threat and may try to stop the transfer of Han,) yet he doesn't engage Luke in a gunfight - he wants to warn him off and take his prize; this isn't Fett's fight.

And yeah in ROTJ he's ready to kill Boushh but then gives that nod when some badassery has been demonstrated. Fett's death is certainly mishandled - you even see Luke air-kick the same Jabba goon twice both when Fett fires at Luke and Fett's flying. But some of what Fett does in the lead-up is at least fun and could have been badass: jetpacking over to the skiff to join the fight, his rifle sliced in half the instant before he can kill Luke, using one of his gizmos with the cables.

His lame scream/flailing limbs, missing Luke by a mile with his carefully aimed gauntlet blaster, and the Sarlacc burp are for another conversation.:lol

:lol :lol :lol

All I?m reading here is hallucinations. Little of what you guys are saying is in evidence. And that?s fine, just don?t be afraid to be honest with yourself.

You can?t read the mind of this character. In the OT you couldn?t even read his facial expressions, just a blank ?T? starring back at you. You don?t actually know what his internal dialogue is, or his motivations. Everyone likes Fett because he has a cool costume. Your imagination fills in the blanks. It?s amazing how far being silent and having a blank (or nonexistent) expression can get you.

And to be clear. I LOVE Fett. But I also respect myself enough to know that we don?t know anything about him really. I love that costume, and now thanks to The Mandalorian, I?m getting to find out who he is.

Also read my little theory about him and Fennik, a few posts above. I think they are definitely not being honest with Mando. I think they are playing him for some reason.

All I?m reading here is hallucinations. Little of what you guys are saying is in evidence. And that?s fine, just don?t be afraid to be honest with yourself.[...]

Lost cause. :lol

As interpretations most fan takes (within reason) are almost equally valid. I had him characterized as a strategic player who used stealth, planning and negotiation to get paid (seemingly twice). There is a large contingent who thinks he's a stone-cold psycho killer who has Vader's respect. There's little to no incontrovertible evidence but it's a moot point. It's the notorious bounty hunter Boba Moot.

As long as some here are already rolling their eyes at interpreting Fett's characterization via context (I see it the same way you do), I'll take it to the next level by trying to justify those ROTJ moments. :lol

In ESB, Fett learned that Luke Skywalker was the guy who Vader (and thereby the Empire) was obsessed enough with to go to great lengths to capture him alive. In ROTJ, Fett suddenly has Luke walk right in to where he was hanging out. Taking Luke alive and bringing him to Vader would have to be the greatest bounty of his career. I can see that being on his mind during the ROTJ events.

When Fett lands on the skiff, it doesn't look like he's even aiming at Luke (seriously, watch the aim placement). He might've been trying to clear out the others behind him and off to the side. And when Luke is distracted and not even looking, Fett uses a lasso rather than the wrist rockets. That lasso tells me he's trying to wrangle him rather than kill him the whole time.

Then come those very errant wrist rocket shots. This is tougher. But maybe he was simply trying to put distance between Luke and Jabba's goons. Maybe he was aiming for the lightsaber (a tough moving target) to merely disarm his potential quarry. (I know, I know :lol)

Or forget all that and just assume Fett was totally wasted on whatever Jabba had coming out of those hookah pipes. I'm good with either explanation. :lol Better than accepting complete and total incompetence, right? ;)

Ah, great stuff. I swear if I was still a mod I'd sticky that post to the top of the page to just reference every time someone claims to read the minds of why everybody else likes a character that they don't understand. :monkey3

"You think Vader was an awesome villain? Hallucinations! All he did was walk around, speak words, and move his arm from time to time while holding a lightsaber. All anyone cares about is his costume."

;)

Back