Hot Toy DX08 - BATMAN - The Joker (Jack Nicholson) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, this is the ONLY Nicholson Joker product with his licensed likeness, they know they have collectors by the balls. Even Batman, there have been products with Keaton's likeness but not a lot.

I talked to a friend in WB PR about the Nicholson deal. While it's never been publicly confirmed, Jack basically struck gold because Burton & WB were so desperate to have him. He agreed to cut his customary front-end salary at the time in half for a percentage of the movie's gross. Also, he gets 5% royalties of all licensed products from the film... and 10% of anything with his likeness on it.

That's your difference right there and almost surely why there haven't been many Nicholson Joker products (or even a lot of '89 BATMAN products in general) over the years.

He also did get a small percentage of box office & merchandise from all Batman films made between 1989-1999. It's been said that he made over $60 million from the first film alone, and possibly as much as $100 million overall.

These are definitive pieces...prices call for sacrifices- I will sell more HT stuff and give up some new releases I want to get these..hard choices having to be made with these prices!

I'm really not buying the "royalties and licensing fees" argument. I think it boils down to Hot Toys knowing the INSANE demand for this figure. They know they can charge a higher price and we will still buy it.

The speculation about the reasons (Royalties, licensing fees, etc.) for such said unreasonable pricing is interesting and all...
This part is not speculation; It is what we were told. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow, but it's not the first time we've heard this about this particular license over the years either.

These are definitive pieces...prices call for sacrifices- I will sell more HT stuff and give up some new releases I want to get these..hard choices having to be made with these prices!

Yeah, I have to say that with this one figure I would pay almost any amount. If a full deposit of $500 was required, I'd still do it today.

This has long been my grail.

I'm really not buying the "royalties and licensing fees" argument. I think it boils down to Hot Toys knowing the INSANE demand for this figure. They know they can charge a higher price and we will still buy it.

I somewhat agree- Jack isn't getting $10 a figure- sorry don't buy that. I know HT sees the demand and Ebay prices for their figures. Imagine the staggering profits by just raising these prices 20% higher than normal...incredible!:dunno

I talked to a friend in WB PR about the Nicholson deal. While it's never been publicly confirmed, Jack basically struck gold because Burton & WB were so desperate to have him. He agreed to cut his customary front-end salary at the time in half for a percentage of the movie's gross. Also, he gets 5% royalties of all licensed products from the film... and 10% of anything with his likeness on it.

That's your difference right there and almost surely why there haven't been many Nicholson Joker products (or even a lot of '89 BATMAN products in general) over the years.

He also did get a small percentage of box office & merchandise from all Batman films made between 1989-1999. It's been said that he made over $60 million from the first film alone, and possibly as much as $100 million overall.

Bingo as in Uncle Bingo

Upon seeing how much this figure actually cost, I became somewhat upset. The price tag of $264.99 is gnikcuf criminal for such a basic figure. At least we get part of a pirate ship and an extra face/headsculpt with DX Jack.

I'd say its pure greed. .

It appears the level of product quality is dropping while the prices continue to sky rocket.

I agree with this part of your post, after everything that happened with the leaking oil and meltings of the DX02 and the Comedian, the fat poorly re-designed face on Alice & the crack in the back of the heads of rooted hair figures, Hot Toys has yet to assure customers of better QC in future.

Particuarly with the Oil problems, no public apology to those who dropped serious cash on them, only to have them degrade after just one year.

That's pretty ____ed up really :lecture

Idc what jack's likeness cost, the bottom line is that Ht knows that 99% customer base will auction off their own mother's to have this figure. :lecture

Upon seeing how much this figure actually cost, I became somewhat upset. The price tag of $264.99 is gnikcuf criminal for such a basic figure. At least we get part of a pirate ship and an extra face/headsculpt with DX Jack.

I could really care less about such a lame generic looking light-up base/stand. I also don't think including PERS justifies such a price increase either. This figure shouldn't cost more than $174.99 - $209.99 maximum.

The speculation about the reasons (Royalties, licensing fees, etc.) for such said unreasonable pricing is interesting and all, but holds no weight as far as I'm concerned. Johnny Depp got paid around $55 million to star in POTC4, so why doesn't his DX Edition cost $666.66 (Due to Royalties, licensing fees, etc.)?

I'd say its pure greed.

Also, why does Sideshowtoy.com have to charge 'A non-refundable, one-time deposit of US $26.00/per item (that) is required and will be charged within 24-48 hours of order placement.' when purchasing a SINGLE figure from them. That must have something to do with royalties and licensing fees as well. There are no excuses for such criminal activities.

As much as I enjoy(ed) purchasing products from both of these companies, I've recently become extremely disappointed with the companies themselves and the leadership behind them. Not to mention the epic Avatar (Jake Sully) visibly-jointed-body fail, and the attic-dwelling, fish-head-eating Afterlife Alice. It appears the level of product quality is dropping while the prices continue to sky rocket. This is why it’s such a bad idea to deal with Communist, you give them an inch – they’ll take a mile. Disgusting.

Kcuf Sideshow (Because of the deposit).

Kcuf Hot Toys (Because of the pricing).

...:::Leaves to go shopping at Wal-Mart:::…

1292059767721.gif

th_OrsenWellesClapping.gif

Exactly. The royalties excuse here is getting old. That wasn't the case with CR Superman and it isn't the case with the 1989 Batman series either. Most of their figures have seen an increase in price for the simple reason that they can charge whatever the hell they want for it as people still buy it. The price on this figure is outrageous and that's that.

Yeah, I have to say that with this one figure I would pay almost any amount. If a full deposit of $500 was required, I'd still do it today.

This has long been my grail.

:exactly::goodpost::exactly:

Example, I just cancelled my Batman OC Ex so that I could afford 2 Keaton/1 Jack.

My DX02 will suffice for me although I do like OC better than DXO2 but too late for that since that boat has come and gone after I sold off my Original OC release.

That's how important 89 Batman is for me.

did any one get a newsletter ? i luckily checked sideshow site today to see MR .J nicholson is available ...just ordered sweeet !!!

This part is not speculation; It is what we were told. Doesn't make it any easier to swallow, but it's not the first time we've heard this about this particular license over the years either.

You know what? You're right, because believing everything we're told is the only way we'll ever learn the absolute truth!

...:::Starts watching FOX News:::...

Like I said, the speculation is interesting and all... but I just don't believe that's the reason for such high price increases. It seems like just another excuse to me. Have fun in Denial though, I heard it's beautiful there this time of year.

Well, sometimes you get lucky having the vision to see where things could go. Look at Lucas and the deal he set himself up with for Star Wars, I bet folks at FOX are still pissed looking back on that :lol

I'd say its pure greed.
...:::Leaves to go shopping at Wal-Mart:::…

Pure greed or a company trying to make a profit?

Have fun in Walmart....

EDIT: I love these 17 year olds who have no concept of real world economics and think that everything should be handed to them on a silver plate. You honestly think that HT/SSC would be able to sell these for 150 bucks a pop and make a profit?

Back