Hot Toy DX08 - BATMAN - The Joker (Jack Nicholson) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At $158 total the figure is one of the best bargains in years!

For the cost it feels like a throwback to an earlier time, because prices have risen quite a bit over the almost two years since ordering.

The sculpt is the standout piece, and with the moving eyes would likely account for a third of the total amount paid if it'd been offered as a stand alone item.

The hands and accessories are crisply cast and well painted. The clothes are well tailored, and all the buttons, apart from those on the tailcoat cuffs, are stitched on.

He's actually wearing a fat suit already. It's identical in design to the one from Hot Toys' ROTJ Boba Fett that I was going to use: a onesie with a padded vest and legs that extend to cover the thighs.

The only things that are rubbish are the tiny, feeble plastic poppers on the trousers and the braces. They're so hard to refasten that I had to leave the rear braces strap unattached.

100_2231.JPG

The scarf/tie was a bit of a disaster.

It wasn't tied properly and when I tried to adjust it, it came undone.

Couldn't work out how they'd tied it, because it was stitched in a figure of eight around the elastic that goes around his neck.

The elastic started to break so I ripped it off. I cut the tie in half at the back and formed it into the semblance of a bow, gluing it in place.

I then glued the tie to the shirt collar, which was an improvement in a way because I could place it higher up than it wanted to go with the elastic.

It's not perfect but it does the job, especially from normal viewing distance.

100_2251.JPG

100_2251.JPG

Figure looks great there. Really wishing now that I had jumped on the first run of this.
Same here. But there was really no way of knowing if it was going to come out as good as it did especially considering how bad the usual KO Hot Toys figures come out.
With that said, really hoping it doesn’t take the rest of the year for the second batch to be manufactured.

Asta, turn some lights on, man! Do you live in the dark? You're always using flash -- why you live in the dark?

The lights are on, but the camera always needs more. The first pictures were with the flash, and the last three without. It would need a light box to work properly without the flash.

Since photography is merely a necessary evil I've never created a proper place to photograph figures. The shelf with the horse is a handy place to stand them, but getting in close with the camera means I'm blocking a lot of the light from the ceiling bulb.

You using a 25 watt bulb? Did you read about light fading your figures, so you keep them in the dark?

Seriously though, I've never seen you take such dark pictures.

Anyway, figure looks great! I can't wait for Gangster Boss Joker.

You using a 25 watt bulb? Did you read about light fading your figures, so you keep them in the dark?

Seriously though, I've never seen you take such dark pictures.

Anyway, figure looks great! I can't wait for Gangster Boss Joker.

While the white paint on the sculpt of this isn't as highly reflective as on some figures, and the first photos with the flash came out okay, getting in closer I had to turn the flash off.

There was a load of photos with the flash that I discarded when I looked at them on the PC, and was left with the few without. After that I couldn't be bothered to try again!

You have to watch out for the buttons on his shirt. I noticed in one of Joao's videos that his was missing a button.

One fell off mine after changing the coats. Trying to glue it back on I ended up dropping it about a dozen times because it's so tiny, and found it each time up until the last. :lol

So I took the button off the shirt that's hidden behind his vest and glued that one on instead.

Apart from that, and the flimsy little poppers for the braces and trousers, it's a really good figure that punches above its weight.

I took another twenty photos, with and without the flash.

Ignore the upside down set of teeth. :lol

I cut down the length of the winder on the Mars version so all three sets would match. Mars' teeth have a white glue bloom inside, which shows on the front of the box that supports the spring.

These were the best with the flash, resulting with the least white paint reflection:

100_2276.JPG

100_2271.JPG

It's not representative of the sculpt paintwork.

These were the best without flash:

100_2270.JPG

100_2269.JPG

This is more representative of the paint, but still doesn't show the full quality of the wrinkles and shadows, or the darker shading that's particularly noticeable around the eyes.

I keep staring at the sculpt, because I can't believe it came out so well!

KG Hobby have the Mars Toys figure in stock for $160 if anyone's interested. Not sure what the postage is but still a good deal.

I'm content to wait for my 2nd batch preorder with Kit.

KG Hobby have the Mars Toys figure in stock for $160 if anyone's interested. Not sure what the postage is but still a good deal.

I'm content to wait for my 2nd batch preorder with Kit.
I saw that too. Postage to US was about $50 though. If I hadn't already placed a PO with OSK, I would order but don't feel like losing my deposit just to get it sooner.

There will be a museum version I believe. Justin review of this Pointed something out the sculpt isn't actually the same.

While watching the comparison the forehead has wrinkles my guess is this is a reworked sculpt.

He says that the hat band is fixed, which was a problem on his since it wasn't straight. However, the band on mine is completely free. You can take it off and place it just how you want.

Near the end when he's comparing the sculpts, his camera isn't picking up all the fine detail in the Mars Toys. It's really hard to capture, probably due to white paint, but to the eye there's a mass of little wrinkles and pores.

I looked at mine to see whether that Hot Toys mould line was present, and it isn't. The mould line on Mars' runs diagonally backwards from the point where the earlobe meets the face.

One thing I did learn was that I'd had the flower in the wrong place on the tailcoat. I assumed it tucked into the pocket rather than over the lapel where it looks a lot better.

Back