Homework Help: Why do we love Star Wars and Collect it?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool paper. I saw Star Wars opening weekend 1977 and had never seen a movie at a theater more than once. I saw Star Wars that summer 7 times. I'd go with anyone that would take me. I was 15. I started buying Star Wars cards, action figures...you name it. I think the reason was no other movie before or since had such a huge impact on me. I couldn't live the movie(much as I would've liked to) so I surrounded myself with reminders of it. I still collect Star Wars items because the feeling never really went away. I don't expect that it ever will.

Well... I guess its ok for a University of New Mexico grad to post since they really don't have too much of a rivalry with Utah. :D

I was 7 when Star Wars came out which was probably just the perfect age. I had all the toys growing up and even remember standing in the packed theater about to pass out on opening day to see ROTJ. I took a bit of a break from collecting during my 20's but now I have gotten back into it mainly because it makes me feel like a kid again and brings back many good memories of playing "star wars" with my brother and friends. Plus the story and characters of the movies just drew me in so much that it made me a fan from the first time I saw it.

madden821 said:
Well... I guess its ok for a University of New Mexico grad to post since they really don't have too much of a rivalry with Utah. :D

I was 7 when Star Wars came out which was probably just the perfect age. I had all the toys growing up and even remember standing in the packed theater about to pass out on opening day to see ROTJ. I took a bit of a break from collecting during my 20's but now I have gotten back into it mainly because it makes me feel like a kid again and brings back many good memories of playing "star wars" with my brother and friends. Plus the story and characters of the movies just drew me in so much that it made me a fan from the first time I saw it.

Thanks. BTW, the Mythbusters are coming to my college in 3 weeks so if all goes well I will be attending whatever they are doing! :D

Ive actually been featured in a short film by two students here in the UK,(films about virtually the same thing as your paper)on two counts ,one because i own a vader costume and secondly 'cos of my custom work, apparently its for their degree too,when its fully edited Ill get a copy for approval and its to be shown in a UK film festival, im sure itll reach youtube,ill post a link when it does.

i fisrt saw SW at the age of 7 too,shortly afterward my mother made me a Vader costume for a local carnival, a plastic flower pot as the dome,hand sewn face mask,black tights (my mother wanted a girl) and wellington boots,a toy lightsaber that lit up ,like the ones now but crappy red torch hilt,i had a few toys but my parents were either mean or poor,so i had to make alot of my SW toys, wooden guns,i once made a landspeeder from a flora magarine tub, the biggest thing i ever owned as a youngster was the old cardboard 'land of the jawas' and the droid factory.....im making up for my denial of adequate SW toys now...with a vengeance:D

Buttmunch said:
Thanks. BTW, the Mythbusters are coming to my college in 3 weeks so if all goes well I will be attending whatever they are doing! :D

That would be cool as heck. I wish they would come up here for some reason.

Captain Aldeggon said:
Hmmm........maybe I should drop by--if they don't mind a BYU student prowling around on their campus LOL. :lol

Its at Kingsbury Hall. Tickets are $30 or something like that. Not really sure what they are doing. Maybe is a panel, maybe a show? I have no idea, but it'll probably be fun.

Just don't wear a BYU shirt and you'll be fine :lol

Buttmunch said:
I am currently attenting the University of Utah and I am doing a paper on Star Wars. The Paper is about why we love Star Wars so much and why we collect things from it - even 30 years after the original film was released! So here is what I'd like:

Just post why you love Star Wars and why do you collect Star Wars things. Be as specific as you like. I'll take a the general reasons why we love Star Wars and collect figures, busts, etc. If I would like to quote any of you directly I'll PM you asking for your permission and how you would like to be credited. Thanks for all of your help!

PS I am also conducting the same thing at Rebelscum. It will be interesting if the results differ.

IMHO, SW collecting and the movie itself represent the future, the promise and 'A New Hope'. We all would like a future where we will have the FREEDOM to zoom from planet to planet, but as we see, there will ALWAYS be an opposing force trying to piss in our Post Toasties. Get used to it.

Disclaimer: To prevent a fact checker rebellion, Yes, I know Star Wars was supposed to be 'A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far Far Away'. I am posting my opinion in relation to Earth's upcoming future, and not the future of Star Wars which had passed our time line long ago.

I think the key thing behind Star Wars, for me personally, are the iconic characters...no matter how badly done the newer movies are, all 6 have provided not only protagonists such as Vader, but of course sideline characters like Boba Fett who have managed to inspire a mythos all of their own...despite having miniscule screen time.

The ability for Lucas et al to create such a fan base for even such a small character as him not only shows genius of marketing but of vision as well.

It's my second earliest Moviegoing memory (Superman the movie being the first) and I still get the excitement everytime I watch any of the Star Wars films.

I don't honestly know why but the films and the universe in general seemd to imprint itself onto my psyche, I still have a full collection of the vintage figures and they have pride of place in my display room.

So I guess that you could say it is nostaligia but it seems to run deeper than that because Star Wars has been ever present as a part of my life since 1978.

I think that it caught the zeitgeist of an entire generation of people born in the early to mid 70's and changed their lives. I think that anyone between the ages of 40-30 has a special place in their heart for Star Wars (even if they don't give into the collecting Dark Side).

Primarily though I think it was the action figures that enhanced the movies as you could make up your own adventures or just replay scenes again and again. Let us not forget that this was in the days before even a VCR was common place in homes.

Uncle George did OK by me and I don't begrudge him anything. He has given me (and continues to give me) endless hours of pure happiness and do you know something? I get that every time I look at my collection.

Am I ridiculous? An oddball? A jerk? Possibly but I don't care because everytime I see the Lucas film logo I'm away in a galaxy far, far away.

The answer then...?

Escapism, pure escapism.

Hope this pean to George helped.

I'll ditto the nostalgia. I've taken various film classes over the years and it is contantly referenced in that setting and paralleled to the Western format. The entire franchise is timeless and never cheesy, universally embraced as something for everyone and a piece of pop culture history that can be passed on and enjoyed from generation to generation. For me personally, it represents my childhood and that wide-eyed innocence that is so distinct, few things can replicate it the same way. I was 9 years old when it was released - the perfect age to appreciate it entirely.

Why is it I got more responses after I wrote my paper? :lol

I didn't quote anyone directly because it seems the nostaglic factor is a big reason for just about everyone. I think the classical mythalogical elements are also appealing to a wide variety of people.

So thanks everyone for your comments and help! :D

Back