Hobbit DOS DVD & Erebor Statue set

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering what was being discussed in this thread and finally popped in. Something has been on my mind, likely this deserves its own thread but here goes. First, man this forum has been slow of late, no doubt reflecting the slow rate of releases. That's fine. But then I think about Weta's offerings and I just get this sense that they are trying things here and there (helm, new environment) but aren't really throwing a ton of of their workload into the collectibles side of their business. This is reflected in the fact that even though the John Howe bronzes are still listed as for sale on their site you cannot actually buy them, not worth the effort to make at this point. And then Tim and Darren both leave for new gigs at about the same time. These were two of the biggest points of contact for the collectible side of the business. Who is replacing these guys? Maybe they haven't made that announcement yet but I am feeling like, perhaps, they are pulling away from the collectibles side of things a bit. Anyone else put these bits together and come up with the same conclusion? My take is that a lot of the newer stuff just isn't selling as well. Josh himself has admitted the new films are NOT the LOTR trilogy. I am buying very conservatively myself, largely due to the open edition sizes and prices.

I had no idea Weta was going through restructuring as I only really post on this forum. One is enough... I hope Weta sticks around for a while with their collectables. Hobbit s not LOTR, but I think the first two Iinstallments were pretty good. As good as Saruman turned out, figuratively I'm sticking to just RWOS for now. May go after Sauron at some point but that's it. I'm cool with helms and environments, so long as Weta keeps producing them. Key environments only, I don't need them all. Just a good overall representation of ME.

But I will brake for Smaug.:lecture

Last edited:
I don't think Weta is going anywhere collectibles wise. People come and go in companies all the time and they keep on going. I'm sure that Weta has replacements ready to go so they don't miss a beat with Tim and Darren leaving. Tim has even stated I believe they will have some impressive stuff ready to show everyone at Comic-Con. So I don't put much into anyone leaving as an issue for Weta. Lots of people have left Sideshow over the years and they keep making collectibles. I wouldn't hit the panic button just yet.

Its true that the Weta collectibles release rate is quite slow, but this is because of the collectors base size nowadays I believe, as opposed to 10 years ago. They will be making Middle earth collectibles for many years to come but at a slow rate, TBH too slow for my taste. Anyway, whatever ME comes from SS or Weta is welcome!!

Back