Help with applying sweat effect and scruff or 5 oclock shadow (indiana style)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to have the hardest time shading with pastels but I've finally figured it out a method. For the 5 o'clock shadow on Indy, I paint the head clean shaven and then coat it with Dullcote. Then I used an exacto knife to scrape off flakes from a burnt umber pastel and applied it onto the Dullcoted surface it with a stippling brush made by Games Workshop. Once it's settled I spritzed it with water (a very important step!). When the water has dried I use a brush to clean off any flakes that have strayed and I also use a different brush to shape it as necessary. I finish it by spraying it with Dullcote -- brush on Dullcote won't work. It takes some practice but the stippling brush really helps. I've painted a few Indy heads and this is the best method I know for it.

I used to have the hardest time shading with pastels but I've finally figured it out a method. For the 5 o'clock shadow on Indy, I paint the head clean shaven and then coat it with Dullcote. Then I used an exacto knife to scrape off flakes from a burnt umber pastel and applied it onto the Dullcoted surface it with a stippling brush made by Games Workshop. Once it's settled I spritzed it with water (a very important step!). When the water has dried I use a brush to clean off any flakes that have strayed and I also use a different brush to shape it as necessary. I finish it by spraying it with Dullcote -- brush on Dullcote won't work. It takes some practice but the stippling brush really helps. I've painted a few Indy heads and this is the best method I know for it.

awesome thanks man, sounds very complicated but the result in the vid looks fantastic. By the way I checked out your Hannibal repaint looks great. Thanks again for the advise very much appreciate it.:hi5:

My pleasure and thanks for the kind words! Good luck with your project. :)

Back