Help/questions about painting 1/6 scale heads, any advice appreciated!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parallax1987

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hey guys! Everyone on here was so helpful with giving tips on how to paint and apply pupils and eyes to 1/6 scale head sculpts and can't thank you guys enough! It helped out a lot! My big question now is, painting the head/ hair itself. Never done it before but I heard that an airbrush is an absolute necessity so I got one. Does anyone have some techniques that they love by that you wouldn't mind sharing for face and hair? I'm going to be painting a "Death of the Family" joker head. The one where he cut off his face and strapped it back on. Must say I'm a little nervous but you guys are such a help! Any advice on this would be very much appreciated! Thank you guys!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Get some good detail brushes and make sure you get a palette for mixing colors. Make sure to mix and paint a red/pink in the corners of the eyes and the lids. I like to darken the nostrils a bit too. I usually base coat a head with a flesh tone and then use a stiff brush to splatter red and brown to give some mottling to the skin. Then I coat more slightly watered down skin tone over that until I get the desired result. The magic is in chalk pastels though. Once you have painted everything I use a stiff brush and scrape the pastels pat them on a paper towel and add, Browns, reds, and blacks, with a little green for a male sculpts stubble areas. This is where the sculpt comes to life. Then seal with dullcoat sealer and I add a gloss to the eyes and a little to the lips. Here's one I did a while back..
image.jpeg

Last edited:
13908996_10157182397790035_1511956144965133928_o-1.jpg

13892180_10157193465055035_8860611718578384732_n-1.jpg

Thats the unpainted head and the next pic is one that someone painted. I have no experience and really want to do a good job

DUDE THAT LOOKS AMAZING!I actually just bought a decent airbrush for this and was wondering, what did you use to get the flesh tone? And you said that you dry brush little hints of brown and reds to add color to the face, what kind of paint do you use? Are you using airbrush paint, or acrylic? ANd thats awesome about the pastels! I never would have thought of that! I havent heard of chalk pastels or a stiff brush really but Ill go to the store and check it out today! Are there any other brushed you recommend? I posted a couple pictures of the Joker head Im going to try and paint, and more advice would help out a lot! THanks so much, Your Indie Looks amazing! Best Ive seen!
Get some good detail brushes and make sure you get a palette for mixing colors. Make sure to mix and paint a red/pink in the corners of the eyes and the lids. I like to darken the nostrils a bit too. I usually base coat a head with a flesh tone and then use a stiff brush to splatter red and brown to give some mottling to the skin. Then I coat more slightly watered down skin tone over that until I get the desired result. The magic is in chalk pastels though. Once you have painted everything I use a stiff brush and scrape the pastels pat them on a paper towel and add, Browns, reds, and blacks, with a little green for a male sculpts stubble areas. This is where the sculpt comes to life. Then seal with dullcoat sealer and I add a gloss to the eyes and a little to the lips. Here's one I did a while back..
View attachment 285538

Good rule of thumb is to make your own flesh tone using a flesh color base and adding burnt sienna maybe a tad bit of yellow or red. I basically try to match the color of the body I'm using as close as possible. I like acrylic paint myself but most of the dry brushing I do is using the pastels, just make sure they are not oil based. For the hair I mix a dark hair tone with water and do two or three coats to let it seep into all the cracks and valleys of the hair. Then I dry brush lighter colors of the hair for highlights. Just like anything in art, a lot is trial and error, just some good variation in paint brushes will be useful. I also use q-tip swabs, toothpicks and whatever else I find that works

I'll apologize from the start, my internet is down due to construction so all these are posted from my iPhone. I just got Rahmer84's Swayze sculpt so I took a few pics while painting it.
Like I said first get a good base tone for everything and then use reds and Browns and use a stiff brush and watered down paint and "flick" the brush to get small spots of paint on the sculpt. Then add another coat of base skin tone to cover it a bit. You may have to water it down.
image.jpeg
Then I work on the eyes, try to use an off white as regular white is too cartoony looking. Make sure to line the eye lids with a pink color. For reference a lot of times look in a mirror for matching natural colors.
image.jpeg
For the hair I do a darker watered down color to get in all the cracks and crevices of the sculpt.
image.jpeg
Then I drybrush a lighter color or two to get natural looking highlights
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Then I touch up the eyebrows and drybrush a little skin tone lightly in the natural direction the eyebrow would go, I add a darker tone to the mouth opening to show a separation between the lips and I darken the nostrils a bit. The eyes are a dark color over laid with a lighter one on the bottom half. I keep touching them up as I go.
image.jpeg

Next is the pastels I talked about. Get a nice stuff bristle brush and scrape the pastels making sure to dab the extra off on a paper towel. Apply it to the cheek, nose, forehead, chin and ears. You can use a green for everyday stubble on the beard line and Browns and black for heavy stubble.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

If you put on too much it will come off pretty easily with a q-tip and a little
water. It will
Come off easier if you seal the sculpt once before you start this part. After the pastels are drybrushed I ended up with this
image.jpeg

Then I sealed the whole thing with dullcoat sealer and when it dried I used gloss varnish to coat the eyes and the lips.
image.jpeg

I'm sure there are a million other ways people do theirs but that's the basics of mine
image.jpeg

Last edited:
WOW! Seriously, thank you so much for going through all those steps and taking pics like that and telling me about it. I feel more comfortable taking on this Joker head now. I think that I am going to purchase a cheap head to practice on and use some of the techniques that you told me about. I have to go to the store and and get some of the stuff that you were talking about. I really dont know a whole lot about brushes and what sizes to get. Until you said the term, Ive never even heard of a stiff brush before. But Im totally new to this. Thank you so much for your advice and your pictures and helpful advice. That was very nice and your head sculpt looks totally bad ass! Did you gloss the eyes? I keep hearing people say that, cant find the "gloss" at Michaels though. Have to go somewhere else I guess.

Gloss should be right with the acrylic craft paints in the bottles, clear coat and dull coat sealer should be by the model paint

Thanks man! And then do you spray something on it to seal it? So that the paint doesn't come off, or am I being paranoid?

A few tricks from a fellow beginner.. pretty much how I'm doing it now after a few attempts at it. Most of what I do I've just picked up from other tutorials and vids. All hand brushed, but I'm sure an airbrush would make it easier.

Invest in a good daylight LED light for your desk, and some magnifying devices.
I use a desk like with magnifier like this which is awesome:
https://www.stonesfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/Artisan-Lighted-Magnifying-Daylight-Desk-Lamp-with-Clamp.jpg

And I use this for getting really close with eyes and fine features:
https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/h9f/h39/8815176253470/QM3511ImageMain-515Wx515H.jpg

Start by painting a darker version of your final flesh tone all over whatever primer you're using.
For an idea of what colours to use for various skin tones, there's a great reference online - look here at the file called "flesh shades": https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxBp_BdjWzPKLU00Z1MyazZkR3M

Start with one of the darker shades as the base (think deep tan) and then move up to the lighter shade. I generally mix in the lighter colours into the darker base as I work up. Each coat is very thin to avoid clogging the pores and lines in the cast. I use distilled water with flow enhancer to keep the coats thin but avoid them pooling into beads too much.
Flow enhancer looks like this:
https://www.artsupplies.co.uk/img_alt/Flow-Aid.jpg

Also, you can use the thinners for your particular brand of paint. Make sure you're using the correct thinners for your type of paint too, there are lacquer and acrylic thinners in the same brand, I've made that mistake before..

When you're getting close to the shade of skin that you like, I usually flick some watered down reddy/brown paint onto the face to give the skin some mottling.
Then you follow up with your lighter skin shades which tones down the spots and adds some depth.

You get something like this:
revenant-1.jpg

Follow up with some lighter flesh colour to bring the skin closer to the shade you want. It's hard to judge the flesh colour and whether it looks accurate, so when you think you're close you can do a thin coat on the hair, lips, eyebrows, and I usually paint the whites on the eyes too just as a first coat. Eyes are a mix of ivory, a tan skin colour, and some grey for me. You don't want stark white.

Once you've blocked the colours, you can see better what the skin tone is looking like and whether you're happy. It will look something like this:
revenant-2.jpg

Refine the skin a little more. I mix up a watery red and start shading the reds around the eyes, cheeks, forehead and nose. This is where it starts looking more human. From here on out, it's just more thin layers of reds, skintone, bring out the eyebrows and so on. Keep the paint thin, wipe off excess on your brush with paper towel and on your own hand before touching brush to sculpt so that you don't end up with a watery run. You need colour on the brush, but you don't need lots of it because you will build it up.
revenant-3.jpg

Keep going, making very small changes. I dry each coat with a hairdryer usually, or place it infront of a small heater. Otherwise if you do the next coat too quickly, you can easily wipe off the paint underneath or lift some of it up and create a nasty mess.
If the underlying coat is dry enough, if you do make a mistake or go too thick with what you are applying you can rinse off the brush and use the wet brush to wipe away your mistake. Then dry the brush on some paper towel and soak up the water on the sculpt before it dries again. This works very well.

Eyes are a PITA. I still can't do them well yet. Use a small brush + head mounted magnifying glass to help here. Use Dullcote to seal your work before trying the iris so that you can wet your brush and wipe off mistakes without messing up anything underneath.
Dullcote will also make your paint look nice and dull instead of shiny.
revenant-4.jpg

Once your eyes are done, put on another coat of Dullcote. Let it dry well, then paint some gloss on the eyes and a little tiny bit on the lips.
Paint on your dirt / blood etc last if that's what you're doing, after everything else is done.
revenant finished.jpg

And here's a Jack Bauer I did last night following the same steps. The lighting isn't great but in the non-bloody picture you can kind of see the red shading + mottling I'm talking about. Going from your basic skin tone to a more realistic version of the face really seems to just be about adding red shading where it's needed to flush and blemish the skin. I always see a major improvement and feel a lot better about the sculpt once I start to add some red shading in the areas that need it.
Bauer WIP.jpg

Back