Help: Posting Animated GIFs on These Forums

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottPSU

Super Freak
Reaction score
First, bear with me here. I've been trying to insert animated GIFs into my postings, with no luck. I've been able to find a bunch on Google but whenever I try to insert them into a post (by clicking the "Insert Image" option and trying to paste the URL), I usually get an error that the file is too large or an invalid file format.

How do I go about finding GIFs that will work and am I doing something wrong in how I am trying to include them in my posts?

TIA for the assist!

Unclick "Retrieve remote file and reference locally". That should do the trick homie. :wave

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Thanks - that seems to do the trick! Why does that work?

When that option is checked, this site physically stores the file, and this site (like most forums) has a size limit for uploaded files. Unclicking that option simply links the image, so it's viewed on here but physically stored somewhere else. :wave

Anyone know how to get animated gifs to work on avatars/signatures?
I was just about to post the same question. I can now put them into posts, but when I try to either link to an animated GIF or copy it in from my desktop as an animated avatar, it doesn't animate.

Last edited:
go to imgur

click on upload image

select image from computer

click upload

grab the first link and put it like a regular link signature

enjoy

go to imgur

click on upload image

select image from computer

click upload

grab the first link and put it like a regular link signature

enjoy

Thanks for taking the time to post those steps; I really appreciate it. I did all of these things but it fails for me on the last step. The first link, on the right-hand side of Imgur, is an "Image Link." I tried it and it doesn't work. None of the other link options seem to work, either. I tried them all.

I am sure I'm doing something obviously wrong...

sometimes it does that

ok repeat everything but post the link that says BBCode (message boards & forums) by itself on the signature thing

dont try to link it by clicking the insert image, just the BBcode
that should work

sometimes it does that

ok repeat everything but post the link that says BBCode (message boards & forums) by itself on the signature thing

dont try to link it by clicking the insert image, just the BBcode
that should work

That works for inserting an animated GIF in my signature; thanks! Now, how do I get one in my avatar?

Avy's and sigs are different, because of file-size restrictions. Obviously the first step is having a premium account (regular accounts can't have animated avy's and sigs). Next step is to make sure the avy and/or sig you want to use is under the size limit.

Not sure of the exact sizes since I don't have a premium membership, so these are the numbers for regular members.

Animated Avy's - Maximum size 80 x 80 | Maximum file size 488.3 KB

Animated Sigs - Maximum size 500 Width x 150 Height | Maximum file size 488.3 KB

Animated sigs and avy's HAVE TO BE exactly those sizes or under. If it's over (even like an animated sig that's 500x150 but 498 KB) and you attempt to resize it using this site, it'll turn into static jpeg. So make sure the sizing (width/height/file size) are all correct before linking sigs/uploading avy's.

:wave

Thanks guys; you've been great. I think I now am starting to get it. Thanks to Crows I was able to get one in my signature, and at Devil's suggestion, I used a smaller GIF in my avatar space and it worked.

I really appreciate the help and thanks to all the others who also posted their suggestions for me!

Back