Help please! Making asphalt, curbs, street corner

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesperbernhardsson

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi! Anybody knows a good way to make asphalt-roads, street-corners, curbs or rooftop corners or edges :)? Want to make some dioramas, 1/6 scale. Need some help :)

Thank you! :clap

jesperbernhardsson

I recommend using Apoxie Sculpt or Magic Sculpt for this task. They are very durable and once try you can sand and drill and everything else.

i used crayola air dry clay and basically sculpted a cobblestone pattern.... heres the one i made..
IMG_6114.jpg

I meant once DRY. Sorry, I was multitasking when I wrote that.

Apoxie sculpt is a 2 part clay, once you knead them together in the same amount, you have 6 hours before it hardens completely, so it gives you a big window to work on the clay.

I haven't made dioramas in a while, but, observation is key.

You could also visit theclubhouse1.net . They are primarily diorama makers, modelers, and statue sculptors, and they have a forum devoted to diorama making.

Give them a visit!

That's a lot of work to use clay. What I recommend is simply scraping DAP or plaster of paris over a wooden board. Then spraypaint it. To make a curb, simply nail a beam on the board and cover it with plaster as well and paint it a different color than the street.

What I am using for my Left 4 Dead dio-

Black foamcore board - (so the edges are black as well)

For a gritty surface-

Spray glue the surface-sprinkle playground sand on it (fine grit) Once dry, shake the excess off and re-spray with glue- this anchors the sand-

Paint with flat black spray.

Or, as mentioned above- spackle it, making sure to "flatten" it out- then spray with matte black-

For sidewalks- styrofoam - not the floral kind at Michael's, but the packing kind- I use a hot wire foam knife to cut it, score the lines in the sidewalk, etc.

Then use the grey craft paint from Walmart or Michaels to cover it, then dirty the hell outa it!

Rooftop corners, edges - Usually, there is small wooden trim pieces at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. It's for cabinets, and is stocked by all the other larger trim pieces.

What I am using for my Left 4 Dead dio-

Black foamcore board - (so the edges are black as well)

For a gritty surface-

Spray glue the surface-sprinkle playground sand on it (fine grit) Once dry, shake the excess off and re-spray with glue- this anchors the sand-

Paint with flat black spray.

Or, as mentioned above- spackle it, making sure to "flatten" it out- then spray with matte black-

For sidewalks- styrofoam - not the floral kind at Michael's, but the packing kind- I use a hot wire foam knife to cut it, score the lines in the sidewalk, etc.

Then use the grey craft paint from Walmart or Michaels to cover it, then dirty the hell outa it!

Rooftop corners, edges - Usually, there is small wooden trim pieces at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. It's for cabinets, and is stocked by all the other larger trim pieces.

Got some pics of this project :)?

The roof-top edge is for my Batman figure.. Had a cool image om one foot on the ledge looking down. So I want it to look like concrete.. Maybe can use your tip for sidewalks for that as well.

Back