Help me decide - a thread for all indecisive Freaks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lordnastrond

Super Freak
Reaction score
Creating a thread for Freaks who - like me - struggle to make decisions and want the input of our fellow obsessive collectors to shoulder the burden of making difficult decisions in this hobby!

- Whether its deciding on one figure vs another
- Keeping/cancelling/making a pre-order
- Sell or not

And so on and so forth.....

So, I'll start this thread off:

I am thinking of trimming down my pre-orders and would like some opinions on what to keep/drop to save some funds.
I'm also leaning more into a Quality over Quantity thing.
I am of the mind to keep all my Inart figures - the quality looks astounding
Same with the Van Helsing/Dracula set
Everything else is negotiable
My collection is pretty eclectic - but I have a bunch of Batman/villains stuff, LOTR, Horror, Spidey villains, Marvel, Sci-Fi etc....
Most of my collection can be seen here: lordnastrond's collection - in all its chaotic glory!
Though I have sold a few of these/added some since I took these pics, but it might give an idea.

I am thinking of doing this primarilly due to funds and some other pre-orders I am thinking of getting into
Namely I am looking at maybe adding a Spiderverse collection, the new Venom figure, the Feral Predator figure and the new John Wick

Current Pre-orders

• Inart Gandalf
  • Inart Pennywise [deluxe]
  • Inart Batman premium
  • Inart Aragorn premium
  • Inart Harry Potter deluxe
  • Inart Cavill Superman
  • Kaustik Plastik Hammer Horror Dracula/Van Helsing exclusive 2 pack
  • S-HERO SH001 1/6 Scale DOOM MONARCH
  • Kratos figure
  • Hot Toys Maguire Spiderman w Sandman
  • Mars Toys Mobster/Museum Joker
  • Hot Toys Batman Keaton deluxe set with Gargoyle
  • Mars Toys Carrey Riddler
  • Terminator 2 T1000 figure – Present Toys.
  • Mars Toys Frank Gorshin Riddler
  • David Lost Boys – Sideshow
  • 1/6 Sauron - Dragon Toys 'Dark Ruler'
  • Soosootoys SST-057 Mr.Ice [bathrobe Freeze]
  • Soosootoys Blade figure

Thoughts? Input?

Last edited:
First I’ll opine on your preorder list. Just from my personal opinion. I don’t understand the want for Pennywise. I didn’t think the movie was that great and I think it is an utterly forgettable character. Same with Mr. Freeze. The movie was horrible. The rest of your list is solid.

As far as my own list. I only have Gandalf and Aragorn on preorder. I was not going to get it but will probably end up getting Josie Wales. I regret not getting SoSo Toys Gambit so I’m debating preordering Present Toys Cyclops. If I knew for a definite fact that they were going to go deep with the line I think I would preorder it. I am leaning towards it anyway.

The older I get and the longer I collect the less must haves do I find myself needing. Still regret not Getting Neo and The Last Samurai figures.

I agree, It is a good movie and Pennywise is a good character but if I had to trim down that’s the one I would pick. Maybe Bathrobe Freeze as well? Everything else is too iconic and would resell well if you were to change your mind down the road.

As far as my own list. I only have Gandalf and Aragorn on preorder. I was not going to get it but will probably end up getting Josie Wales. I regret not getting SoSo Toys Gambit so I’m debating preordering Present Toys Cyclops. If I knew for a definite fact that they were going to go deep with the line I think I would preorder it. I am leaning towards it anyway.

The older I get and the longer I collect the less must haves do I find myself needing. Still regret not Getting Neo and The Last Samurai figures.
I would say go for the Cyclops if you think he would satisfy you either on his own or with just one or two of the 1/6 X-Men offered by other companies, like the SooSoo Rogue or Gambit [if you were to pay ebay prices] or Sideshow Wolverine. Or even the movie figures like the Toys Era Juggernaut, Colossus or the Deadpool figures.
It looks like Present Toys are going to do a Magneto at least.
So this Cyclops is unlikely to be entirely on its own
BUT if you need the whole set of X-Men to make the purchase worthwhile then I would say no as I doubt any one company will ever make ALL the major X-Men in one style = too many characters.
I agree, It is a good movie and Pennywise is a good character but if I had to trim down that’s the one I would pick. Maybe Bathrobe Freeze as well? Everything else is too iconic and would resell well if you were to change your mind down the road.
So Freeze and Pennywise seem to be the odd ones out here.
Thanks for the viewpoint guys.

Creating a thread for Freaks who - like me - struggle to make decisions and want the input of our fellow obsessive collectors to shoulder the burden of making difficult decisions in this hobby!

I'll make some general observations that I've picked up over years in the hobby. This won't quite apply specifically to you @lordnastrond and your situation, as much as a very broad take on things. Also I'm not asking anyone to reveal their personal situation, finances, money value system, etc, etc.

1) Unstable living situation ( young people in college, people living with family but it's not a long term solution, people sharing an apartment with lots of other roommates that keep revolving, etc, etc)

- 5 high end figures max. Any collecting after that should be in clearance aisles in Big Box stores, things like that

2) Reasonable living situation with fracture points ( If things go into a spiral, someone here won't be homeless in 6 months, they've got an established career but projections for it look rougher or someone who is married and the slippery slope to divorce is coming eventually)

- 15 high end figures max. Maybe 1 or 2 vehicles of some kind.

3) Stable living situation / baseline necessities assured ( So like someone with a relatively secure government job, tenure, vested ( or retired) and a stable housing situation with no complex dependents/obligations, things of that nature)

- 40 high end figure max.

Some other thoughts

A) Based on some people I know who work for brands and some overseas dealers, just things I'm hearing in private, I'd cease all long term pre-orders period. That's my take, no one else has to agree with it. A lot of these brands are in pretty bad financial shape. Economic projections overall don't look good as well. If I have to pay right now, and it won't show up in at least three months, than I'd say to move on. I am NOT a fan of this new pseudo "crowd funding" gambit I'm seeing in the current hobby. But everyone's mileage is different to that situation.

B) If you choose to downsize your collection, do it by age 50. Something I learned from some vintage collectors is some waited too long, and their peer group started to die off, get into fixed income situations, or ended up in assisted living, or had to try to shed their collections so they weren't in the market. At age 55 and beyond, I would suggest people see that as a litmus point to accept what you have is what you'll always have until death.

C) War is coming. I won't get into it further than that. You can't load a Hot Toys Iron Man into a shotgun. You can't eat it if you are starving. This might not be a bad time to focus on more long term considerations for essentials and sort of space out the fun luxury items from the hobby ( I'm not suggesting anyone totally give up the hobby, just compartmentalize it given the landscape of the geopolitical current environment around us all)

If I was in your shoes, I'd make a list of the 40 figures you love the most. Then get rid of everything else. And if you want to add in a new figure, then you have to commit to shedding an older one to stay at the 40 ceiling. I don't believe, and I have never believed, that any single collector can truly enjoy more than 40 total figures at a time. After that, it's boxes stacked on more boxes and then stuff jammed into closets, attics, rental storage spaces, etc, etc.

Another suggestion I'd make is to schedule your hobby interaction. Meaning set aside 20 minutes a night to do some hobby stuff. Or a half hour three times a week. But something consistent and progressive. Doing that will curb FOMO. When you are building stuff and making stuff and fiddling around, you become more attuned to what you really like and how much you can handle, versus just stacking boxes on top of more boxes. If some people can't stay in the active hobby, I'd suggest getting out completely. 4 hours every 7 months working on a project leaves the only "fix" left as buying more "plastic crack"

So you don't have to follow these suggestions, but I'd suggest hard line boundaries, if you don't have them already. Rules that you informally keep for yourself, that sort of balance out this hobby with the rest of your life/rest of your obligations. Personally, I assess the practical size of someone's collection to their individual circumstances. Some people just need to be leaner and be more mobile and flexible. Some people are in different situations and can entrench more. "Let there be nothing in your life, have no attachments, that you cannot walk out on in thirty seconds flat, if you spot the heat around the corner"

Just some thoughts. You are a good poster and I enjoy your posts. I wish you well in whatever you choose. Good luck.

I'll make some general observations that I've picked up over years in the hobby. This won't quite apply specifically to you @lordnastrond and your situation, as much as a very broad take on things. Also I'm not asking anyone to reveal their personal situation, finances, money value system, etc, etc.

1) Unstable living situation ( young people in college, people living with family but it's not a long term solution, people sharing an apartment with lots of other roommates that keep revolving, etc, etc)

- 5 high end figures max. Any collecting after that should be in clearance aisles in Big Box stores, things like that

2) Reasonable living situation with fracture points ( If things go into a spiral, someone here won't be homeless in 6 months, they've got an established career but projections for it look rougher or someone who is married and the slippery slope to divorce is coming eventually)

- 15 high end figures max. Maybe 1 or 2 vehicles of some kind.

3) Stable living situation / baseline necessities assured ( So like someone with a relatively secure government job, tenure, vested ( or retired) and a stable housing situation with no complex dependents/obligations, things of that nature)

- 40 high end figure max.

Some other thoughts

A) Based on some people I know who work for brands and some overseas dealers, just things I'm hearing in private, I'd cease all long term pre-orders period. That's my take, no one else has to agree with it. A lot of these brands are in pretty bad financial shape. Economic projections overall don't look good as well. If I have to pay right now, and it won't show up in at least three months, than I'd say to move on. I am NOT a fan of this new pseudo "crowd funding" gambit I'm seeing in the current hobby. But everyone's mileage is different to that situation.

B) If you choose to downsize your collection, do it by age 50. Something I learned from some vintage collectors is some waited too long, and their peer group started to die off, get into fixed income situations, or ended up in assisted living, or had to try to shed their collections so they weren't in the market. At age 55 and beyond, I would suggest people see that as a litmus point to accept what you have is what you'll always have until death.

C) War is coming. I won't get into it further than that. You can't load a Hot Toys Iron Man into a shotgun. You can't eat it if you are starving. This might not be a bad time to focus on more long term considerations for essentials and sort of space out the fun luxury items from the hobby ( I'm not suggesting anyone totally give up the hobby, just compartmentalize it given the landscape of the geopolitical current environment around us all)

If I was in your shoes, I'd make a list of the 40 figures you love the most. Then get rid of everything else. And if you want to add in a new figure, then you have to commit to shedding an older one to stay at the 40 ceiling. I don't believe, and I have never believed, that any single collector can truly enjoy more than 40 total figures at a time. After that, it's boxes stacked on more boxes and then stuff jammed into closets, attics, rental storage spaces, etc, etc.

Another suggestion I'd make is to schedule your hobby interaction. Meaning set aside 20 minutes a night to do some hobby stuff. Or a half hour three times a week. But something consistent and progressive. Doing that will curb FOMO. When you are building stuff and making stuff and fiddling around, you become more attuned to what you really like and how much you can handle, versus just stacking boxes on top of more boxes. If some people can't stay in the active hobby, I'd suggest getting out completely. 4 hours every 7 months working on a project leaves the only "fix" left as buying more "plastic crack"

So you don't have to follow these suggestions, but I'd suggest hard line boundaries, if you don't have them already. Rules that you informally keep for yourself, that sort of balance out this hobby with the rest of your life/rest of your obligations. Personally, I assess the practical size of someone's collection to their individual circumstances. Some people just need to be leaner and be more mobile and flexible. Some people are in different situations and can entrench more. "Let there be nothing in your life, have no attachments, that you cannot walk out on in thirty seconds flat, if you spot the heat around the corner"

Just some thoughts. You are a good poster and I enjoy your posts. I wish you well in whatever you choose. Good luck.
Awesome advice mate,
And thank you - I really appreciate the kind words!
I've been whittling down my collection to those I consider the "gems" for a while now - I could probably get rid of more, but all the "easy" choices have already been made by now and it would be painful to part with most of the ones I have now! :ROFLMAO:
And - as odd as it may sound - my family started getting genuinely upset when I started selling my figures - they enjoy my models and my enthusiasm for them and they started worrying it was a sign of me being depressed.
My Mum literally nearly started crying when she saw I had got rid of so many figures... I had to explain to her it wasnt a money thing [though selling them certainly helped a great deal and basically funded my lifestyle while doing my PhD] and that it was because I wanted to focus on quality over quantity.
On that note, funny story but I had a HUGE collection of Funko Pops she and others bought for me over the years that I cant get rid of - I have at no point EVER liked Funko Pops and yet I have an ungodly amount of them I cant part with because otherwise my family will know I've secretly loathed the last 6 years of Xmas and Birthday presents and have just been polite.... they mean well and I love them a lot. I was finally able to get rid of about 50 of them and convey the message I have enough/dont want anymore by pushing the quality vs quantity argument and to be fair I now have some of the cooler Funk Pops... but I would prefer just to sell the lot and spend the money on a couple of Inart figures!:ROFLMAO:
The things we do for love....
I suspect the Inart figures, once I have a few of them, plus my own custom/kitbashed figures [got into this recently by making up my own Greek God figures and I have LOVED it - gonna customize my Toys Era Goblin next] will make me let go of a few more as I look again at certain figures and decide they dont measure-up quality-wise when compared to them.
Thankfully I have a while until I'm 50! [I'm 29] so I have some time to consider what stays/goes - though considering how indecisive I am I will probably still be wrestling with the issue as I am reaching retirement 😅
I no longer pay in-full pre-orders for exactly the reasons you mention - times are dark and dark days seem to lie in wait [hopefully not though, I still think we have a chance to avert disaster if we act soon] so while I can justify losing 20 quid on a deposit losing hundreds per cancelled order is a risk I can no longer abide.
What can I say - I'm a frugal little bugger and despite literally never having much in the way of income I somehow have a pretty darn decent collection without being in debt!
I have over 80 figures + statues and other collectibles and they are all on display in a relatively small space without looking too cramped [I am a master of jenga - the only one not currently on display is my Toys Era Juggernaut because I need to repair his arm] So sticking to just 40 would destroy me! That said I had well over 120 at one point so I have downsized a bit...... I may have a problem.

On that note I've done some thinking and cancelled some pre-orders:
  • Inart Gandalf
  • Inart Batman premium
  • Inart Aragorn premium
  • Inart Cavill Superman
  • Kratos figure

Yeah - cancelled the Carrey and Arnie Bat-villains because, like so many here have said - they come from pretty dog-**** films when you take the nostalgia goggles off. I was a little more reluctant to cancel Arnie as I really like the figure's look but honestly he would be out of place in my collection without the other Schumacher-era goofy villains to go with and its also not a classic Freeze look.
Cancelled Sauron because the figure isn't all that accurate and I already have the very good old Sideshow Weta Sauron statue to represent the character.
Cancelled Doom because it would sort of be on its own and I think its inevitable we will get a Fantastic Four movie who will do their own verison of Doom.

I'm contemplating the Pennywise - everyone makes a really good point... but the figure just looks so incredible.... I'm not sure.

Also contemplating the Cavill Superman - on one hand I really want a Superman in my collection and I think the Inart Cavill looks better than the Inart Reeve figure, I also liked Cavill in the role and think he really LOOKS like Superman... but on the other hand he is a version of the character from a divisive and dead universe and I have already sold ALL of my other DCEU figures and I have no real desire to rebuy any of those other characters again... So he is sort of on his own. But again the figure looks good...

What do you guys think re: Superman?

Last edited:
Awesome advice mate,
And thank you - I really appreciate the kind words!
I've been whittling down my collection to those I consider the "gems" for a while now - I could probably get rid of more, but all the "easy" choices have already been made by now and it would be painful to part with most of the ones I have now! :ROFLMAO:
And - as odd as it may sound - my family started getting genuinely upset when I started selling my figures - they enjoy my models and my enthusiasm for them and they started worrying it was a sign of me being depressed.
My Mum literally nearly started crying when she saw I had got rid of so many figures... I had to explain to her it wasnt a money thing [though selling them certainly helped a great deal and basically funded my lifestyle while doing my PhD] and that it was because I wanted to focus on quality over quantity.
On that note, funny story but I had a HUGE collection of Funko Pops she and others bought for me over the years that I cant get rid of - I have at no point EVER liked Funko Pops and yet I have an ungodly amount of them I cant part with because otherwise my family will know I've secretly loathed the last 6 years of Xmas and Birthday presents and have just been polite.... they mean well and I love them a lot. I was finally able to get rid of about 50 of them and convey the message I have enough/dont want anymore by pushing the quality vs quantity argument and to be fair I now have some of the cooler Funk Pops... but I would prefer just to sell the lot and spend the money on a couple of Inart figures!:ROFLMAO:
The things we do for love....
I suspect the Inart figures, once I have a few of them, plus my own custom/kitbashed figures [got into this recently by making up my own Greek God figures and I have LOVED it - gonna customize my Toys Era Goblin next] will make me let go of a few more as I look again at certain figures and decide they dont measure-up quality-wise when compared to them.
Thankfully I have a while until I'm 50! [I'm 29] so I have some time to consider what stays/goes - though considering how indecisive I am I will probably still be wrestling with the issue as I am reaching retirement 😅
I no longer pay in-full pre-orders for exactly the reasons you mention - times are dark and dark days seem to lie in wait [hopefully not though, I still think we have a chance to avert disaster if we act soon] so while I can justify losing 20 quid on a deposit losing hundreds per cancelled order is a risk I can no longer abide.
What can I say - I'm a frugal little bugger and despite literally never having much in the way of income I somehow have a pretty darn decent collection without being in debt!
I have over 80 figures + statues and other collectibles and they are all on display in a relatively small space without looking too cramped [I am a master of jenga - the only one not currently on display is my Toys Era Juggernaut because I need to repair his arm] So sticking to just 40 would destroy me! That said I had well over 120 at one point so I have downsized a bit...... I may have a problem.

On that note I've done some thinking and cancelled some pre-orders:
  • Inart Gandalf
  • Inart Batman premium
  • Inart Aragorn premium
  • Inart Cavill Superman
  • Kratos figure

Yeah - cancelled the Carrey and Arnie Bat-villains because, like so many here have said - they come from pretty dog-**** films when you take the nostalgia goggles off. I was a little more reluctant to cancel Arnie as I really like the figure's look but honestly he would be out of place in my collection without the other Schumacher-era goofy villains to go with and its also not a classic Freeze look.
Cancelled Sauron because the figure isn't all that accurate and I already have the very good old Sideshow Weta Sauron statue to represent the character.
Cancelled Doom because it would sort of be on its own and I think its inevitable we will get a Fantastic Four movie who will do their own verison of Doom.

I'm contemplating the Pennywise - everyone makes a really good point... but the figure just looks so incredible.... I'm not sure.

Also contemplating the Cavill Superman - on one hand I really want a Superman in my collection and I think the Inart Cavill looks better than the Inart Reeve figure, I also liked Cavill in the role and think he really LOOKS like Superman... but on the other hand he is a version of the character from a divisive and dead universe and I have already sold ALL of my other DCEU figures and I have no real desire to rebuy any of those other characters again... So he is sort of on his own. But again the figure looks good...

What do you guys think re: Superman?
Interesting my friend, thank you for sharing. To be 29 again knowing what I know now, everything is about time. Now off to Remberance Day gathering.

My problem isn’t money or space, it’s whether I care enough anymore to get back into the hobby. I’ve been around long enough to see it all and do it all & the 100th version of a character doesn’t impress me
Sorry to hear it mate!
Hope you find your passion again!

Out of curiosity what characters WOULD get you back in the game? Any characters/films you've been wishing to produce figures for years?

Last edited:
So.
Feel free to call me insane.

But the more I think about it the more I think I might cancel the Inart Cavill Superman and keep the Inart Pennywise....
I think the Cavill Superman is nice, I want a version of Superman in the collection and over the years I've grown to dislike the HT efforts on the character/iteration, but overall I think the Pennywise figure is a more impressive looking figure/character/display and a higher value package/piece of art.

I Love Cavill [and I love looking at him :love:] and I enjoy his Superman - I wish he was given the movies he deserved as I feel he could have been the best Supes ever if given better material and more of a chance.... but the truth is he never was and he never will be.
He would be the ONLY DCEU figure in my collection.... and unlike say Reeve Superman who was a solo act, Cavill was ALWAYS part of a shared universe.... would he feel out of place? Would getting the figure only remind me of the path not trodden?

Inart's Reeve looks rough ATM and between the 2 Cavill definately looks like the superior figure... but will that remain the case? And even if it does its inevitable - bar some disaster preventing the movies being made altogether - that Corenswet's Superman will have figures made of him that may well serve as a good representation of the character....

But with all that said I do think this Inart figure might be the best looking 1/6 Superman figure yet....

I dont know - would love your thoughts.

Welp - Mr Indecisive is back.
Asking if you could only have 1 Spidey figure to represent the character which one would you choose?

I had the Maguire figure on order but ended up so disappointed with him I cancelled the order.

I am currently deciding between the various options because I am tired of having all these Spider-villains in my collection and no Peter Parker.
The obvious choice is the Classic suit from the PS4 game but that is pretty hard to find these days, so I was also looking at the PS4 Mark 4 armor figure [VGM43] as a more affordable take on a pretty classic Spidey.
But just wanted your thoughts on any other options I may be overlooking, either older figures or upcoming.

Would love your thoughts.

Welp - Mr Indecisive is back.
Asking if you could only have 1 Spidey figure to represent the character which one would you choose?

I had the Maguire figure on order but ended up so disappointed with him I cancelled the order.

I am currently deciding between the various options because I am tired of having all these Spider-villains in my collection and no Peter Parker.
The obvious choice is the Classic suit from the PS4 game but that is pretty hard to find these days, so I was also looking at the PS4 Mark 4 armor figure [VGM43] as a more affordable take on a pretty classic Spidey.
But just wanted your thoughts on any other options I may be overlooking, either older figures or upcoming.

Would love your thoughts.
comic spider. this is what i did as a non spiderman fan.

I’ve got around 10 HT Spidey figures are these are what I consider objectively the best, best proportions, quality of the suit, articulation, accessories etc:

Classic
Far From Home (Upgraded Suit)
Advanced Suit

I don’t have the VGM43 so can’t comment on that one.

I’ve got around 10 HT Spidey figures are these are what I consider objectively the best, best proportions, quality of the suit, articulation, accessories etc:

Classic
Far From Home (Upgraded Suit)
Advanced Suit

I don’t have the VGM43 so can’t comment on that one.
Interesting stuff.
Interested in what draws you to the Upgraded suit, as I've heard other people rank it quite high but haven't heard why - its a little surprising to me as unlike the other two it doesn't have the blue/red colouring

I have a massive 1:6 Star Wars collection soon collecting dust. All figures in my original display space will soon be packed back into their boxes. Going forward my display space will be severely limited. Contemplating wether to sell off all second-tier characters like Dooku, stormies, clones etc etc.. I don’t know the total numbers, but it is closer to 100 than 50 figures. So, a small fortune in monetary terms.

How would you, dear freaks, act in such a situation? Within five years I’m planning to clone some copies of myself, further restricting any hobby like this 1:6 collecting.

I have a massive 1:6 Star Wars collection soon collecting dust. All figures in my original display space will soon be packed back into their boxes. Going forward my display space will be severely limited. Contemplating wether to sell off all second-tier characters like Dooku, stormies, clones etc etc.. I don’t know the total numbers, but it is closer to 100 than 50 figures. So, a small fortune in monetary terms.

How would you, dear freaks, act in such a situation? Within five years I’m planning to clone some copies of myself, further restricting any hobby like this 1:6 collecting.
Is the lack of display space a permanent change or a temporary situation?
Will the storage cost you money?
Are there any figure you are SURE you would/n't miss?

When I am contemplating selling a figure I tend to put it away for a while and see if I miss it or not, if its been a couple months and I realise I have barely noticed or missed the "hole" in the collection then I sell it off, if I find myself looking for it or missing it out on display I know its one I would regret selling.

Is the lack of display space a permanent change or a temporary situation?
Nyes. Moving in to a smaller flat. In a few years, probably three, I will upgrade to something nicer with more space.
Will the storage cost you money?
No
Are there any figure you are SURE you would/n't miss?
Maybe. Two of them might end up at the cutting board due to their use of pleather. Zero issues with the material in my region but they are kreeping up towards ten years of age......
When I am contemplating selling a figure I tend to put it away for a while and see if I miss it or not, if its been a couple months and I realise I have barely noticed or missed the "hole" in the collection then I sell it off, if I find myself looking for it or missing it out on display I know its one I would regret selling.
More than 60% of the collection has been stored away for more than a year - some have never been displayed. A sign its not a must-have figure....

Thanks for your advice.

Back