Hello, Happy New Years and thanks for all the fish! (dumb new guy intros/questions)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justcrash

Super Freak
Reaction score
Anyway, that's my odd way of saying "hi." I've been on the forum for a little bit but have posted almost nothing and I realized I've never introduced myself. I am a life time comic collector and I've dabbled in toy collecting for about 25 years. My interests are Marvel, DC, Star Wars/Trek and pop culture icons (Terminator, Robocop, etc).

I just bought some cheap shelves to display my collection in my new place, but I am waiting on some acrylic show cases to arrive. I am not a completionist, nor can I afford to be. I just try to get the physical representations of the characters that resonate with me, for whatever reason. I started to give up on the Marvel Legends and DC lines because of the overwhelming amount of characters that I couldn't care less about. Besides, I had a Flash, a Spiderman, etc already... lol. What finally made me finally throw in the towel was buying the New 52 figures I really liked the look of only to get them home and see they towered over ever other figure I had in my collection. Very frustrating.

What originally brought me to this forum was an article that showed up in my FB news feed about the Hot Toys 66' Batman and Robin. I was amazed and had never seen that kind of attention to detail before. That link brought me to Hot Toys which brought me to this forum.

My GF bought me The Dark Knight Joker, the Captain America and Man of Steel from Hot Toys. I picked myself up a Dark Knight Rises Batman off of eBay (is there a better place to buy figures? I saw someone mention on a thread something like, "If someone knows where to look they can get figures much cheaper than eBay" so where else should I be looking?)

One of the reasons I didn't stick around was it depressed me to see all of the cool Hot Toys I wanted, but could never afford.

Fast forward a couple years and here I am again. I saw the DC Icons line and got excited. This led me back here and then to Figma, Figuart and Mafex. I also didn't pay any attention to the Star Wars Black Collection before, but the level of details in those lines are amazing me. While one figure may be $99, that is a LOT easier to swallow than a $700 Avengers exclusive Iron Man Hot Toy, right?

Anyway, this is probably a dumb question but are there other lines I should be looking at?

Also, and this will probably make me sound like a lunatic, but which lines are in scale with each other? Is the Black Collection figures the same size as the Mafex figures? Are figma figures the same scale as DC Icons? The same as Mafex, etc? I am big on scale. Its probably more important than it should be to a 42 year old man child. For instance, if Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark were the same height/weight, I would expect the Iron Man figure to be bigger and more bulky, on account of the suit of Iron. His waist shouldn't be a size 28 if he's wearing a flying tank. Hell, one of the reasons I got into Fine Scale modeling was because I wanted all of the Starship Enterprises in scale to each other. It annoys me that my TOS Constitution class ship is the same size as my Enterprise B Excalibur class ship (does ANYONE make those ships to scale?).

So help a fledgling collector out if you are so inclined, and thank you for reading!

:welcome1: to the :FREAK: show, JC!
wavesmile.gif

Back