Hello from a Costume Maker in Toronto Canada.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woah...things move fast around here. Thanks again for the warm welcome. :)

Well we dont sell any unlicensed items to the general public...if that helps any. Times have changed, and for years now we've tried to adapt to the way the industry is evolving. Some of the items shown on my site are one offs, which is the case of the licensed characters meaning DC, Marvel and so on but we do hope that one day we'll be part of the ever growing licensee's list in one way or another....be it in bulk productions or simply a license of our own.

If you have something custom you'd like then feel free to shoot me an email and we'll talk about it.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

David

Thanks for the fast reply!
The problem is that usually, when thinking 'Costume', people tend go in a direction of a licensed product, but I do understand the fact that it is a delicate issue.
I wonder if it matters when the costume is an exact replica or not? Just hard to imagine that all these Chinese manufacturers of all the costumes we see in Halloween stores are licensed...
So basically, what I am asking is if it is possible to make a costume 'based' on a character, and still be 'legal'. For example, a predator costume with armor variations ..

Hello Davidyr1,
Welcome to this board, I remember you from the BOTB board. First I seen the Bob's posting and now you, pretty soon the whole gang from there will come also. ;-) I think ive also seen you and your cool costumes in the Dragon Con's.

Damn this place is cool. Thanks again my peep's!

Roc...how are you buddy? Nice to see you!

Thanks for the fast reply!
The problem is that usually, when thinking 'Costume', people tend go in a direction of a licensed product, but I do understand the fact that it is a delicate issue.
I wonder if it matters when the costume is an exact replica or not? Just hard to imagine that all these Chinese manufacturers of all the costumes we see in Halloween stores are licensed...
So basically, what I am asking is if it is possible to make a costume 'based' on a character, and still be 'legal'. For example, a predator costume with armor variations ..

Replica or not...if the 'character' is intact then it's a no-no. In the movies...Wolverine wears black leather. In the comics he's yellow and blue. Making something an exact replica is going to raise the kinds of eye brows in ways you dont want them looking at you....and custom takes or spins on them are still a problem because it's the 'character' even more so than the 'look' that's someone elses property. Put it this way...if you try to sell a garbage bag over your head on ebay and call it a Wolverine Mask...you'll get shut down because you're not allowed to sell unlicensed wolverine masks...regardless of how or what they look like. Make sense? :)
Either way, the studio's have shown some relaxation towards the fans and thats a big leap forward. I just dont think full on runs of unlicensed things would be tolerated and I bet they'd step in at that point. For me personally, once things started to snowball 'work' wise...and this discussion of licensed VS unlicensed became more prevalent...I decided not to play with fire and focus on the big picture. Sure, like you mentioned there's tonnes out there and much of it IS questionable but me personally....I'm rather public, post on most of the more viewed boards, have worked with some studio's and licensee's over the last few years and would like to see 'that' aspect of my business grow...rather than the bootleg aspect. Dont get me wrong...everyone makes their own choices and does what they feel most comfortable with but I've been down that road years ago and I'm rather enjoying this one much more. My inbox is full of Batman, X-Men and other costume requests that I cant entertain...full. If there's time I respond telling them I cant and why...otherwise I just delete them because there's just too many of them to dedicate that kind of time to. Nearly 5 years ago we made that call...and have enjoyed a whole new kind of business since. We've been lucky because it's an extremely volatile line of work with zero guarantee's...but, with steady working coming in regularly I think things are going pretty good without looking to rock the boat. Personally...I'd rather keep looking forward. :)

Great question btw.....

David

Back