Head Sculpt Touch up Paint Type?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdhartma

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what type of paint and where can I get it to do so touch up on figure head sculpts? Skin color paint please.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but just wanted to warn you that you're not going to find one paint that'll let you dab a dot and magically fix an issue. Most companies use several thin layers of several different paints for the skin.

I don't have any specific recommendations, but just wanted to warn you that you're not going to find one paint that'll let you dab a dot and magically fix an issue. Most companies use several thin layers of several different paints for the skin.

Very good point. And the flesh tone is in the plastic as well.

Skin is very difficult to paint. Depending on what you're trying to fix, it's probably not as simple as dabbing a bit of paint on it, after which it would just look like the head sculpt with a bit of paint on it.

If you want to give it a shot, you'd want a good quality model paint like Vallejo, Citadel, or Army Painter. But you'll need more than one paint to match the color, and you'll want to watch tutorials on how to paint flesh tones.

Get a very fine brush, mix the color up properly, thin it down, and apply very lightly.

You guys are correct. Flesh/Skin tones are not done with just one color. I've applied over 10 layers when painting a head, not all over mind you, but usually different layers for around the eyes, mouth, in wrinkles and ears, things like that. Even repainting a nose rub takes about 5 layers to get right.

Hey guys, just wondering what type of paint and where can I get it to do so touch up on figure head sculpts? Skin color paint please.
Vallejo (17ml vials) - Pour base and a combo of others to get the tone you want
Beige Red (Base)
Sunny Skin Tone
Salmon Rose
Light Brown (maybe add a bit of Mahogany brown to it)
Light Flesh
- picked up these colors after watching Darren Carnall tutorial on YT

Tamiya (10ml vials) - I use Wooden Deck with Flesh as Base, followed by other 3 to achieve tone I want
Wooden Deck Tan (XF-78) - Base together with Flat Flesh
Flat Flesh (XF-15)
Red (X-7)
Brown (X-9)
White (X-2)

Vendors I use (I order online)
Mightyape
LittleTrainShop
MetroHobbies
Toyworldnoosa

My suggestion would be get with a professional painter such as onesixthvisage on IG and get their advice or just have them do it for you if they are taking commissions.

Vallejo (17ml vials) - Pour base and a combo of others to get the tone you want
Beige Red (Base)
Sunny Skin Tone
Salmon Rose
Light Brown (maybe add a bit of Mahogany brown to it)
Light Flesh
- picked up these colors after watching Darren Carnall tutorial on YT

Tamiya (10ml vials) - I use Wooden Deck with Flesh as Base, followed by other 3 to achieve tone I want
Wooden Deck Tan (XF-78) - Base together with Flat Flesh
Flat Flesh (XF-15)
Red (X-7)
Brown (X-9)
White (X-2)

Vendors I use (I order online)
Mightyape
LittleTrainShop
MetroHobbies
Toyworldnoosa
Thanks for the info. I found the vallejo 8pk for $30 on Amazon here in the US. My original project is just to paint nose ends but with this I can expand depending on my yet to be uncovered paint talents.

Back