Has anyone ever tried to 3D print a Headsculpt for custom ?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codsworth

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Hello !

So, I plan to do a custom headsculpt, and as I do a lot of 3D modeling, I had the idea to start a HS model with Zbrush and Blender. (The paint will probably be the hardest point for me)

Has anyone ever tried to 3D print a headsculpt model ? I never did this before, but I know that now 3D printing has reached a pretty impressive level even for everyday people. But if anyone has any feedback on it, that would be great, either for me to reinforce in my project, or at least to dissuade me from putting money into a 3D printing.

I have never seen this kind of project before, I see a lot of people sculpting with clay but no one seems to have the idea of ​​3D printing a headsculpt, probably because the render will be weird ?

Thank you !

No offence but you can’t have looked very hard, there’s many 3D sculptors out there, all of whom print their designs in 3D before getting them recast.

I’m not an expert so can’t advise you further other than to say they is done on a widespread scale now.

No offence but you can’t have looked very hard, there’s many 3D sculptors out there, all of whom print their designs in 3D before getting them recast.

I’m not an expert so can’t advise you further other than to say they is done on a widespread scale now.

Oh ok lol, though I did some research and I saw a lot of people doing it with clay, so I figured the resolution by 3D printing wouldn't be good enough. ^^

In this case I am rather curious about the material used, resin probably ?

Probably half of what Sideshow does now is digitally sculpted with 3D printed prototypes.

Shapeways has Frosted Extreme Detail, but the printer they use can leave some rough surfaces where the support material is in contact with the print. SLA printing can do well if you can get the support structure points in an area that won't affect the surface details.

Most people that I know of that do customs use SLA printers because of the detail. I havent ordered a head sculpt from shapeways but what I have ordered from personal designs, still needing some finishing work.

Back